Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Corolla 1999 VE
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I was looking under my car today and realized there is a part in the center of the floor of my car that is rusting out. Along a part of the floor that kind of sticks out in the middle. Surely, this is worrying me as I don't want it to get worse and I'm pretty sure I want/need to get it fixed before our crazy winters. I personally don't know anyone who could do the job for me, so I have no idea of the prices I'm looking at (was only told expensive, which doesn't really help). The car has only 150 000kms on it (good for a 15yo car) and I know it by heart, so selling it and buying another Corolla with unknown possible problems is not an option (I'd only be able to afford something in worse shape upfront right now). I'm thinking of getting someone/someplace to weld in a replacement pan, but might consider a whole floor while it's all apart anyway.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Corolla
85 Posts
If you don't have connections to someone with a MIG welder and the skill set, your best bet is probably to find an Auto Body shop. They're made to handle welding as well as paint, dent/collision repair, etc.

The cost of this, I'm sure, will vary extensively. Simply because some shops will specialize. So call/travel around, get as many quotes as you possibly can and then pick and choose.

I often cheat when I go into places to get quotes, I get the name and codes/part numbers of what the car needs and then give the cost a search myself. Floor pans are more than often affordable as a part. It's the actual labor of taking everything apart, cutting out the old and putting in the new. It's a huge, huge task and it will cost quite a bit.

You could be looking at a repair of the current cost of the car or more if you replace the floor. You might be able to honestly get away with just patching the floor with a new flat of metal sheeting or something of that effect, have the old rust cut out and just have a sheet welded to fit as good as possibly can. And always remember to protect exposed metal.

It's more difficult for us in the northern areas. Not sure how Canada sees vehicles with any amount of rust on them, but in Maine.. any rust on rocker panels is a no go. But good luck, I can understand the lack of desire to go out and buy another car for the sake of an issue that requires fixing. All because I know the history of the car and how it's been treated.

Reactions: itsthegenerator

·
Toyota Master Technician
95 T100 4X4
804 Posts
you probably can order a floor pan from a bodyshop

·
Registered
Corolla 1999 VE
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking my best choice here is finding someone to weld in some metal in the affected area. As in, not a shop but a skilled person. I'll ask around local forums and coworkers to see if anyone knows someone. I don't plan on keeping the car forever (obviousy) but I do plan on keeping it a long time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.