Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Yotaspeed
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start my 89 pickup in the morning I can here a flowing noise in my dash that almost sounds like coolant being pushed through there.Is this normal? or do I maybe have air in my cooling system?

·
Registered
92 Posts
That would probably be your heater core. It does exactly that. It takes your anti-freeze/ coolant, and pushes it through some piping to get heat into your trucks interior.

·
oh-pin-yun-A-ted
Pickup
1,407 Posts
actually, its your flux capacitor. most people think its the heater core. but your heat is generated by a pilot light and a feed from your fuel tank, kind of like a furnace. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
My '94 started doing that one day, followed shortly by the famous head gasket going bye bye thing. :ugh3:

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
This usually happens when there is an "air" pocket trapped in the heater core. Make sure that the system is completely full and the radiator cap is sealing properly.

"IF" there is something wrong with the headgasket, combustion gasses will be allowed to enter the cooling system and will create the trapped pocket of "air". Other cooling system leaks will cause the system level to diminish and lead to this as well.

So first you need to do a cooling system inspection.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jake... dude... you scare me sometimes. And thanks for the advice Vicoor, now I know what to check. Ive been hearing a different sound for a while now and just assumed it was because I turned my stereo down.

·
Yotaspeed
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
besides the airpocket thing now the check engine light came on last night, Happy New Year to me.

·
7MGTE/22RE
Turbo Supra
431 Posts
try burping the coolant system. park the truck on a hill, pop off the radiator cap (do this when the truck is cold, otherwise you'll likely burn yourself), rev the motor to about 2k rpm, and hold it like that for a little bit. (maybe a minute or two) this should help purge all the air from your cooling system.

release the throttle slowly, as doing so quickly can cause antifreeze to shoot out of your radiator. (and that's never a good thing!). top it off with coolant, put the cap back on, and see if it happens again.

if so- you have air getting into your system somehow. check all the coolant lines for pinholes (yes, a pinhole will do it), check your radiator cap like someone said, make sure your resivour is full, and if all else fails, do a leakdown test!

-shaeff

·
Yotaspeed
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The check engine light went off after driving it a while. The truck had the headgasket,waterpump, and the timing chain changed right before I bought it. I changed the radiator cap the other day, so thats new. Would airpockets cause the temp gauge to fluctuate? I have a new Toyota thermostat to put in and then I will burp the system.Thanks for the info. If anyone else has any info its always apreciated.

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts

See if you can pulll the code and report to us.

Thnx.

·
Yotaspeed
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am going to try to get a scanner tomorrow.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah our trucks arent OBDII as far as I know. You have to pull the codes by shorting a fuse in the engine bay and counting blinks on the check engine light. The process is listed in the FAQs up top.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the same thing, tried doing the parking uphill and running the engine until it got hot then putting the cap back on. didnt do anything, dont think I have a leak, not loosing fluid. I can hear it at idle, then when I step on the gas it gets worse. should I care? is the heater core going to take a shit on me?

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
make sure the heater valve is open when you fill the cooling system.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
Move the heat lever to the full hot position and make sure that the valve moves at the same time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts