Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a few weeks back a drop or two of fluid on the garage floor and then a few more a week later, etc. Decided to crawl under and look at it...there was fluid at the rear drive shaft where it enters the electromagnetic control coupling (see pictures). So I made an appointment as I couldn't clearly find a seal replacement part looking at any of the online service manuals. This evening the dealer sent me these pictures of what he said was the front half of the rear differential. Does the pic look familiar to anyone? It might suggest that the seal burnt up and left a ring/groove of which the fluid could have been leaking from/through. They were going to finesse /smooth the groove and then put it back together and check it again in the morning for leaks. Does anyone have experience with something similar?

Dealer also said front differential is leaking , but not dripping. Estimated $2000 to fix it (pull engine)...said no thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wife's had a driver side rear seal leaking, was $400 installed.

Looks like some heat on the seal surface/bearing. nothing major though.

·
Registered
Highlander Hybrid 2020
343 Posts
Noticed a few weeks back a drop or two of fluid on the garage floor and then a few more a week later, etc.
I had something very similar. It is too messy for me to replace the seals, and if I remember right, there is a specialty tool you need to put back one of the seal at the right place, so I brough it to the dealer. The mechanics there showed me that the front seal was leaking as the 2 other side seals. it si because the breather on the top of the differential was stuck. So as you the differential heats up, pressure is built and fluid goes out by the seals. Check for the breather on top as well, otherwise the seal problem will come back very soon.

jf

·
Registered
141 Posts
IMPORTANT: Concerning the differential breather cap for the differential. My Venza's 2 seals were leaking. Luckily my local mechanic spotted it in time as another friend on mine w a Venza didn't and it cost him big time for a whole refurbished differential unit. You must clean the breather nipple/cover periodically or the pressure won't release and the seals will blow. Now here is my beef w Toyota : NOWHERE in their recommended maintenance schedule is it written to clean the breather valve/cover.
My other issue w Toyota is I am on my 4th heat shield cover. Seems some if not all Cdn Venza's do not have the insulating washers on between the steel nut and the thin aluminum gas tank heat shield to prevent electrolytic erosion thru the heat shield material. Now for some reason this insulating washer is on the American parts diagrams but bot on Canadian Venza parts diagrams from Toyota. I called w the USA part number and the Cdn dealer said N/A in Canada. Btw they really overprice this heat shields in Canada compared to the US retail price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What year Venzas does this seem to affect? I'm looking for a facelifted model and wonder if this is yet another example of "sneaky" Toyota fixes that they make no mention of and no one really knows about, but they do exist. Examples of this would be the 4th gen 4runner v6 head gaskets, they redesigned the failure-prone head gaskets from the 03-05 model years and updated them in '06, but made no mention and if your HG blew on your 03-05 you were SOL, even though Toyota knew enough about the problems and did a total redesign of the gasket to prevent the issue later on.

·
Registered
110 Posts
IMPORTANT: Concerning the differential breather cap for the differential. My Venza's 2 seals were leaking. Luckily my local mechanic spotted it in time as another friend on mine w a Venza didn't and it cost him big time for a whole refurbished differential unit. You must clean the breather nipple/cover periodically or the pressure won't release and the seals will blow. Now here is my beef w Toyota : NOWHERE in their recommended maintenance schedule is it written to clean the breather valve/cover.
My other issue w Toyota is I am on my 4th heat shield cover. Seems some if not all Cdn Venza's do not have the insulating washers on between the steel nut and the thin aluminum gas tank heat shield to prevent electrolytic erosion thru the heat shield material. Now for some reason this insulating washer is on the American parts diagrams but bot on Canadian Venza parts diagrams from Toyota. I called w the USA part number and the Cdn dealer said N/A in Canada. Btw they really overprice this heat shields in Canada compared to the US retail price.
Guys, interesting thread.

I just purchased a 17 Highlander. Any idea if the breather nipple cover issue also applies to the 17 AWD Highlander?

Appreciate your input.

·
Registered
13 Camry SE, 10 Venz
110 Posts
I just glued my Heat shields back in place with PL Premium. So far, so good. Its been a year since I did both of them..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What year make and model of venza ?
2010 Venza AWD...95,000 miles

An update to the post....dealer redressed groove area...applied new seal....added fluid...leaked at same location within 300 miles. No leaks at Driver/Passenger side seals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts