Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my ATF has too much well over the hot part.

after 1,200 miles i'm down 1/4 oil, when i did my oil change i made sure i topped it a little over now its gone.

I understand a car burns oil but isn't that a little too much for a 96,

is there another way to remove some ATF w/o drop the tranny pan ? i dont know how to drop the pan and flush it.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would need a picture of some sort.

oh i've heard ATF is suppose to be BRIGHT red. mines is more of a toyota maroon type. but i figure its in good condition

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
tomorrow look down at your radiator, there will be 2 large hoses, and 2 small ones. The smaller hoses are the ATF cooler. You should be able to pull the rubber hose off without tools, the lower of the 2 preferably. If you can only get to the upper you may need to apply air pressure to make fluid drain. Another way is to stop by an oil change shop and get them to draw it out from the dipstick.

·
Registered
52 Posts
bowlofturtle

Do what I did ... goto Home Depot, plumbing dept., look for some clear plastic hose, about 2 meters will do. This hose is normally used for ice maker on a fridge. The diameter of this hose is small enough and it will fit nicely down the transmssion fill tube of your car. All you gotta to do is siphon out the excess fluid and it's just that easy:)

note: This procedure is only recommended for small amount of fluid removal, say after a tranny fluid change.

Also you should always check your tranny fluid when your car engine is hot hot, as fluids will expand with heat. Hope this helps, cheers!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm not following on your instructions. i understand the whole tube part to get it down there but you do also know that it might be a problem because the tube needs to bend.

Siphon out is where i'm lost? How do i do that.

Well i'm just trying to remove the excess amount i have in there. When the engine is cold i'm well over the hot lines. I understand fluid expands, i have aleast an extra pint or so in there.

____
i didn't get a chance to look at the raditor but i also learned that the upper tube is for inlet and the lower is for outlet. Therefore i should go over the upper one. But the problem would be how to get the fluid pumping.

·
Registered
52 Posts
One end of tube into the filler hole and then you suck the other end and when the fluid starts to flow ... get it into a container! Once the flows starts the other end of the tube(suck end) must be lower than the tranny pan or the flow will stop and you have to start again. Call your local aquarium shop if you don't know how to do it.

"but you do also know that it might be a problem because the tube needs to bend"

This is why I told you get the clear plastic ice maker tube because it is stiff and flexible!

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
yes there is a drain plug on the Tranny pan. just pull it and let the ATF drain out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts