Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

came across this on an old cardomain page (googling) but when i went to the page it was invalid..So is there a manufactor making this FMI kit?..It also had a dyno claiming 30 hp to the ground with no other mods..cept the ones he already had done. (i-h-e-dp-p)

·
The Mad Scientist
Lexus GS300
849 Posts
First of all, that's one of, if not THE worst piping job I've ever seen on a Celica. (Both pipes running to and from the intercooler go right over the exhaust manifold. Thankfully they took the time to insulate it, but it still will run hot.)

Here's a much better example (yes, I built this):

That's with a clocked turbo also.

It says in your sig that you have a '93 AT 2.0, and your name is 02_vvt-i, so unless you did a 3SGTE swap into one of those cars, why are you looking into intercooler kits?

That said, if you want a nice setup, do it custom.

-Doc

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dr Tweak said:
First of all, that's one of, if not THE worst piping job I've ever seen on a Celica. (Both pipes running to and from the intercooler go right over the exhaust manifold. Thankfully they took the time to insulate it, but it still will run hot.)

It says in your sig that you have a '93 AT 2.0, and your name is 02_vvt-i, so unless you did a 3SGTE swap into one of those cars, why are you looking into intercooler kits?

-Doc
ok...this is like the 3rd time in the last 2 days ive had to explain my sig..read my sig 2002 echo=02_vvt-i , I had the echo first when i signed up to this site..my 93 celica is an ALL-TRAC (AT) with a 3s-gte

Anyways..can you give me a price guesstimate and where you got your parts from?

·
Bootsing the 165
126 Posts
Dr Tweak said:

-Doc
Do you have a better picture of this setup? (top view) Im trying to see where the outlet on turbo goes.. Im thinking of going FMI but want a setup with the lease bends.

Edward

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you wanted the least amount of bends, the one i posted would be the way to go.I wouldt think to much heat be absorbed if you ceramic coated the header heat shield and wrapped the IC piping.I would think it would bealot easier to do anyways.Found the kit for this FMI set-up $1575.00 :eek:

http://www.turbocelica.com/Parts4Sale/ST185%20FMIC.htm

·
The Mad Scientist
Lexus GS300
849 Posts
Well, you should change your sig then. AT=Automatic. And the setup I posted has less bends than the one you posted, it totally eliminates 180* of turning right out of the turbo!

Edward, I don't really have any better pics, I'm afraid. basically the turbo points down instead of up, and then the piping goes to the left (from the perspective that pic was taken from), around in front of the a/c condenser, around the right, and up to the intake manifold.

·
Bootsing the 165
126 Posts
O..ok. I understand how you did it..

thanks Dr Tweak

·
Alltrack Wannabe
639 Posts
Tweak.

To us awd beyotches, AT = Alltrac. :D

02-There are VERY few FMIC kits for a 4/5/6 g Celica.
Most people do custom, which usually turns out cheaper [in this case].
Or, you could pick up a RC or ST205 WTA IC

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alltracman78 said:
Tweak.

To us awd beyotches, AT = Alltrac. :D

02-There are VERY few FMIC kits for a 4/5/6 g Celica.
Most people do custom, which usually turns out cheaper [in this case].
Or, you could pick up a RC or ST205 WTA IC

My fault..forgot youre 2 wheel man, just messin. i have alot of respect for the work you have done.But from the looks of the kit i showed everyone in the beginning of the post..It looks (to me) that mine would the least amount of bends.Im not a newb but im no master mechanic either.i wil prolly just put my own kit together when i get the taxs back and post it when it comes together..Thanks for the opinions!

·
The Mad Scientist
Lexus GS300
849 Posts
Nope, count 'em by 90* sections.

Yours:

Out of the turbo, 2, at the top, 1, at the bottom, 1, at the intercooler, 2, from the intercooler, 2, at the bottom, 1, at the top, 1. Total of 10.

Mine:

Out of the turbo at the bottom, 1, at the intercooler, 2, from the intercooler, 2, at the bottom, 1, at the top, 1, at the intake, 1. Total of 8. Less bends, and totally avoides the exhaust manifold in two places. If you get a side feed intake manifold, you eliminate another 90, total of 7, and some piping.

-Doc

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is all involved in"clocking" the turbo..Is it just turning the turbo in a ceratin direction and mounting it in that direction?..or do you need an actual bracket to hold it in place?

·
Alltrack Wannabe
639 Posts
It's pretty simple.
You have to remove the large C clip holding the compressor housing, remove the compressor housing, pull the small dowel out of the CHRA [Center section], reinstall the compressor housing at the desired angle, then reinstall the C clip.
You will have to find a way to attach the wg actuator onto the compressor housing though. Maybe make a bracket or whatever.

The only bad part about this?

You have to remove the turbo to do it. :D

·
The Mad Scientist
Lexus GS300
849 Posts
alltracman78 said:
It's pretty simple.
You have to remove the large C clip holding the compressor housing, remove the compressor housing, pull the small dowel out of the CHRA [Center section], reinstall the compressor housing at the desired angle, then reinstall the C clip.
You will have to find a way to attach the wg actuator onto the compressor housing though. Maybe make a bracket or whatever.

The only bad part about this?

You have to remove the turbo to do it. :D
Which could take longer than building a bracket... LOL :lol:

Yeah, the hardest part, (other than removing the turbo), is making a bracket to hold the wastegate actuator in the right spot. You don't want that failing on you while at full throttle and 5500 rpm ;)

-Doc

·
Alltrack Wannabe
639 Posts
Actually, if the bracket fails, all that will happen is you loose all boost. Or most anyways.
The wg would open.
It would suck if you were racing someone though. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts