Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The following 2 pictures are what is missing from my 07 LE V6 Camry. Basically only the fog light harness was wired. What is in red is what is missing, which means it was not completed plus I’m missing the relay, but this can be easily obtained. I am pretty familiar where all the plugs are.
The question is after the two pics…

Could I just use whatever proper gauge wire to run the wires that are missing, I will illustrate (poorly) in the following to diagrams.

Of course I would have to buy the relay plus the proper dimmer switch (signal switch).
I have been lurking on the forum for sometime and have searched all over. I am aware of the various posts regarding this. I plan on releasing a more comprehensive DIY guide if i successfully do it myself.

·
Registered
2011 Camry XLE
1,461 Posts
The following 2 pictures are what is missing from my 07 LE V6 Camry. Basically only the fog light harness was wired. What is in red is what is missing, which means it was not completed plus I’m missing the relay, but this can be easily obtained. I am pretty familiar where all the plugs are.
The question is after the two pics…

Could I just use whatever proper gauge wire to run the wires that are missing, I will illustrate (poorly) in the following to diagrams.

Of course I would have to buy the relay plus the proper dimmer switch (signal switch).
I have been lurking on the forum for sometime and have searched all over. I am aware of the various posts regarding this. I plan on releasing a more comprehensive DIY guide if i successfully do it myself.
The current through the relay is minimal, less than about 1/2 amp (some ware around 150 miliamps). 20 AWG stranded will hold 5 amps safely. What you have circled is only relay coil current. If the wire were to "short" to ground anywhere AFTER the relay, the coil limits the current.[It goes to ground through the switch anyway.] Getting the correct pins and the proper tools to install them appears to be the biggest problem.

Good luck
Keep us posted!!
:)

·
Registered
06 Taco D.C. Sport
1,370 Posts
this is good info because i plan on installing fog lights on my wifes camry.

i do think that 20 AWG is too thick. i belive the headlights use 14-16AWG.

t3Knoman can you let us know where your car was built, thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more question

Thanks for the info. I will buy that type of wire and in different colors i will actually try to use the wiring diagram for the proper colors and as for the tools I’ll check out radio shack. I will go to my stores road shop and find out what type off tools they use. They just do car audio, but I’m sure it is the same tools.

On more question
What does what i circled mean, does anyone know? Does it mean the wire is suppose to have something in the middle?

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Junction Block #4

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I will buy that type of wire and in different colors i will actually try to use the wiring diagram for the proper colors and as for the tools I’ll check out radio shack. I will go to my stores road shop and find out what type off tools they use. They just do car audio, but I’m sure it is the same tools.

On more question
What does what i circled mean, does anyone know? Does it mean the wire is suppose to have something in the middle?
I found out this means it is suppose to be connected to some type of junction block. I know your thinking the whole thing is the junction block, but I’m guessing this part looks similar to phone or Ethernet jack block (for multiple phones. I have not found a picture (yet) of what it looks like in any of the manuals, so this may take some more snooping around my car.
Also, I may just go with the aftermarket switch, especially if I can’t find this junction block.:sosad:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Where is it located?

NM i found it. Ok now just have to go to radio shack and get my kit in the mail. I will buy 16 and 20, and just label with tape and paper.

Thanks all. Also people feel free to add any comments or suggestions.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with you, lesson learned on that. Was my first car and first new car. I am very tempted to trade in for 2008 accord fully loaded...:naughty:

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
I agree with you, lesson learned on that. Was my first car and first new car. I am very tempted to trade in for 2008 accord fully loaded...:naughty:
What is your 3rd mistake in a row going to be?

·
Registered
2011 Camry XLE
1,461 Posts
this is good info because i plan on installing fog lights on my wifes camry.

i do think that 20 AWG is too thick. i belive the headlights use 14-16AWG.

t3Knoman can you let us know where your car was built, thanks.
20 AWG is smaller than 16 AWG which is smaller than 14 AWG.

Check it out.

·
Registered
574 Posts
all that is too difficult.

just wire your own relay.

forget about the schematics.

much easier to wire your own relay and switch.

look at my xrl.us website to see my schematic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes

yes i agree this is complicated and i dont want to mess with the wires of the inside. So i am thinking i will connect the 18 awg wire with the 15 amp fuse directly to the car battery. I will then hook the red smaller wire and jam it into the one side of the fuse for the right or left head lamp. This will all be kept with in the engine comparment. i will keep the entire harness intact including the switch (i could use it to turn it off if i want too). The fog lights will turn on everytime i turn on the head lights... IN THEORY. how does this sound? :whatwhat:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I figured out how far it was wired. what was missing was the relay, so i used 3 and 5 jacks where the relay is suppose to be plugged into and connected those to aftermarket relay using 18 wire. I then grounded the entire system to the body(where i saw another grounding wire) and ran the switch power to cigarette power line, i jacked into there.

Something’s to be noted
I used factory harness and factory fuses.
I used plenty of black tubes, so i don’t have nay lone wires hanging around or being run.

Something’s i will do in the future is change my connectors that are jacked into factory harness to gold and shorten all wires with gold connectors.
So far it works fine and because i am powering the switch with power outlet if i forget to turn the fogs off, they will turn off.

As for the switch I am using 3m double side tape until I find another suitable spot
Next up is my TRD 18 wheels plus 35 percent tint...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts