Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so i was perusing through the corolla forums, when this thread caught my eye: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t169336.html. i was thinking, " great, another ignorant fool putting in not only one... but TWO hid kits..." :rolleyes: but alas, there was a gem of info in the thread!:thumbup:

http://matrixowners.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t31171.html
^ a how to on modifying the wiring to allow fogs on without headlights :naughty: :clap: far cleaner and easier than trying to mess with the relays. after looking through the electrical wiring diagrams in the '05 manual, i think i'll be able to do it. look forward to a write up with some pictures if i get it to work this weekend!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
theoretically, you don't even need to cut wires either... just splice the existing wire to a different trigger. i think the headlight switch is far easier to access than the fusebox. i'm a big guy... i don't fit that easily under the dash:lol:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have mine wired seperatley so they turn on by themselves but also i hooked them up through the ignition switch so they only turn on when the car is on and when the car is off they turn off. This way i won't forget to turn them off like i did once and then had to jumpstart my car.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TRDGen5.5camry said:
hey LE05 make a DIY so i can have it for my camry:naughty:
i will, i will... this weekend! weather is supposed to be awesome, so i'll be able to work outside and actually see what i'm doing.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i was poking around the headlight switch harness with my multimeter... turns out the fog lights at the switch are ground switched. this means, unfortunatley, that the only way to have the fogs on without headlights on is to modify the trigger wire's source at the relay. looks like majorgercko1's way is the way to go!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
CamrySExxx said:
^ i dont really understand majorgerckos diagram tho :( so w.e the guy did on the other forum wont work for the cams ?
no unfortunatley, the wiring is different on the matrix. but since its within the toyota family, you would think it would be similiar...

basically what majorgercko1 did was add a different 12V source for the relay trigger at the fog relay. so instead of the headlights triggering the fog relay, it would be the accessory wire, or parking lights that would trigger the fog relay.

EDIT: just finished modifying it today, and it works great! no pictures though... sorry! :dunno: i did it a little bit different from majorgercko1 though... had a relay extension laying around from when i bought the fog light kit on ebay. used that to extend the relay out just a bit, so i could attach a seperate wire using the right sized disconnect to the same prong he did:

its the smaller prong behind the two bigger prongs of the relay, on the left.

then i attached that wire to an existing accessory wire in the drivers side kick panel... i have a dealer installed autodimming/compass mirror, so that made things easier. definitley was a bit of a squeeze for me, but if you take off the metal support bar below the fuse box it should give you more room. those damn relays also don't like to come out very easily... practically had to pry it out with a screwdriver. i might go back behind the dash panel to fix up some of my remote starter wires, so i'll take pictures then.

·
Registered
928 Posts
i have done this just follow this
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=106666
well its pretty much the same instruction, but our fuse panel is under the steering wheel. take off all the panel so you can get to the back of the fuse box. at the back of the fuse panel there are 4 relays. my 04 camry, the relay closes to the one facing the seats is the fog relay. take it out and look at the link above. within the instruction link above, they bent the relay on the left. you will need to bend the one on the right.
now for the wiring to the fuse, you can either find a fuse that would work <b>only</b> when the ign is on or do what i did which was run a wire to the engine fuse box(through the hole above the accel. with alot of wires going through) and into the 10amp fuse for ign. tape stuff up to hide things and reassemble everything

·
Registered
684 Posts
LE05 said:
well, i didn't take any pics, so looks like its going to have to be you :)

hmmm. People here are haters towards me and my ride... so u should make it you will get praised a lot more.. hahaha. nah but if i do, its gonna be on a while i got finals this week.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
13 Participants
rickdogg
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing