Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was coming home driving my other car tonight and once I turned into the corner towards my house, I see my fogs are on. This isn't the first time either. So I unlock my car and just turn it off manually. I was only gone for about an hour but this I assume can be a bad mod to leave on if you're gone for a very long time.
Have any of you guys had this happen?
This is the fog light mod that I did.

·
Registered
'06 4dr 4x4TRD
81 Posts
They will come on for a couple of minutes about 4-5 hours after the vehicle is turned off. I believe that it is b/c the mod uses the EFI relay for a power supply. For some reason the computer sends power to the system about 4-5 hours after shutdown and that is why your fog lights come on.
When I first did the mod I would have someone at work come back from lunch just about everyday and tell me my lights were on.

·
Registered
159 Posts
MOJO06TACO said:
They will come on for a couple of minutes about 4-5 hours after the vehicle is turned off. I believe that it is b/c the mod uses the EFI relay for a power supply. For some reason the computer sends power to the system about 4-5 hours after shutdown and that is why your fog lights come on.
When I first did the mod I would have someone at work come back from lunch just about everyday and tell me my lights were on.

We have a winner. :D It's nothing to worry about.

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,745 Posts
Yeah it will happen, plus i think it's kinda cool. :cool:

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
MOJO06TACO said:
He got it :D

·
2007 DC Indigo Ink 2WD
07 DC Taco SP#1
178 Posts
When i picked up my 07 there was a notice that mentioned that a system will come on after 5hrs. I will try and look up what it said, but basically it said that "you will hear a noise coming from the truck after 5hrs because of a fuel pressure check" or something like that. I will try and find the notice if people are interested.

·
Registered
xrunner
339 Posts
yup happens to me everyone once in a while...i work in the kitchen at a resturaunt so i cant see my truck and all the servers come and tell me my lights are on and i just say "ok"...they wonder why i dont go an turn them off..i think its funny

·
Registered
766 Posts
If I remember correctly, there are two ways to do the fog light mod. The one that I did puts the wire through the side of the fuse box and into the one next to it, into a different fuse. By doing it this way, the headlights don't turn on after I turn the truck off.

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
jtrovato said:
If I remember correctly, there are two ways to do the fog light mod. The one that I did puts the wire through the side of the fuse box and into the one next to it, into a different fuse. By doing it this way, the headlights don't turn on after I turn the truck off.
There are actually 2 ways. 1st method, works flawlessly showing no wires or alters to the fuse box, 2nd method, works flawlessly also, but shows a wire from the relay to the power wire, and the 3rd and most popular way, shows the connectors and wires, but they come on every 4/5 hours.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool, I thought I was the only one with this problem. Man, you guys on this forum are really committed to helping a brother out and never cease to amaze me. That was very quick.
Yeah, I thought it was really wacky that the lights did that but I figure now, it's all good.
Thanks guys!

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
The ignition turns on for some emission reason. Something to do with gas fumes building up in the gas tank. It will only stay on for about a minute.

·
TN ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
2006 Tundra 4X4
148 Posts
yup i did that same fog light mod too.....but they don't come on when that "fuel tank pressure" thing comes on........i was wondering what that noise was...............

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
chucks_truck said:
yup i did that same fog light mod too.....but they don't come on when that "fuel tank pressure" thing comes on........i was wondering what that noise was...............
Was your foglight switch off? If you leave the switch off then the lights won't come on by themselves.

·
TN ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
2006 Tundra 4X4
148 Posts
no i left the switch on...........i don't know why the lights would come on if you have the wire hooked up to the EFI fuse...........doesn't seem realted to a fuel fume thing.

·
Haywood Jablome
06 X Runner
87 Posts
It powering up the relay to run a pump that pressureizes the tank , evap canister and lines then checks it for a leak. Its doing a leak detection test which it makes sure there aren't fuel vapors leaking into the air. Part of ODB2 emissions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts