Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Camry and it came with factory fog lights. I intalled
some silverstars in the main headlights and now they make the fog
lights look yellow and weak. I bought new SS blubs for fog and now
I cant figure how to install them, any help. I thought I might find a
howto on this forum but no luck.

Thanks alot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have looked there but cant get to or even see the fogs.
There are panels that cover up that area, looks like alot
to be removed just to see back of fog lights.
Thanks for the reply...............
 

·
toot toot ahhhh beep beep
is300
Joined
·
537 Posts
you need to remove the rock-guard cover thing to access the foglights...
i think you just need to remove the fasteners on the front part of it and pull it back, you dont have to remove the whole piece

edit: i'm not exactly sure where i read that..but i think it was in the owners manual..
gl
 

·
Where are we going today?
Camry 00/Corolla 19
Joined
·
2,614 Posts
fog is suppose to be yellow.

yellow lights travels better in fog. i would not change the fog lights, imo
 

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
Joined
·
4,304 Posts
skewe said:
fog is suppose to be yellow.

yellow lights travels better in fog. i would not change the fog lights, imo
Thats a myth, btw. There's no truth to that. There is nothing magical about the color, from a physics perspective, since all visible wavelengths are pretty much equally scattered by fog droplets though the eyes. Whether your fog lights are yellow or white, it makes no difference. Color is purely just for looks.
 

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
Joined
·
4,304 Posts
RedPhoenix said:
yeah you need to remove that shield. you might be able to lift your hood up and look down on it, but probably not.
Yeah, you can't do it just by reaching down after popping the hood. I've tried. Its way too far down and to the side to be able to reach the harness. The only way is to remove the splashguard and change them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
skewe said:
fog is suppose to be yellow.

yellow lights travels better in fog. i would not change the fog lights, imo
My factory fog lights are white, they just look yellow after
I replaced headlights with Silersatars.
 

·
How hard can it be?
2006 Pontiac G6 GT
Joined
·
2,614 Posts
Why are there vehicles (Gen2 ES300, etc) that had yellow fog lights then?
 

·
Ninja-rator
Joined
·
4,262 Posts
lets not start another fog light thread..... search...there's a thread that's almost four pages on the debate over different color fogs. there are links to back up claims there
 

·
The 6"4 Viking
Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D
Joined
·
464 Posts
white3ch0c0late said:
Thats a myth, btw. There's no truth to that. There is nothing magical about the color, from a physics perspective, since all visible wavelengths are pretty much equally scattered by fog droplets though the eyes. Whether your fog lights are yellow or white, it makes no difference.
Thats not true what physics perspective says about light and what you
actualty see is very different, we dont have the same sensitivity
for all the colors wee see, blue and green is the color we have the hardest
time making out, if i put a green and a blue glass in a dark cabinet and asked
you to tell me witch one that is green there would be a 50/50 chanse that
you would choose the wrong glass, if i put a red and a yellow glass in there
you would be abel to tell the difference right away, because we see yellow
and red better than blue and green. But over to rain and snow, a raindrop
functions as a prism, send white light on one side and get all the priamry
colors out on the other side, send yellow light and you will discover that allmost
no light comes out on the other side, hmm strange that does not fit your theory..
The same goes for snow, snow is white so it reflects white light best, other colors
doesnt reflect anywhere near the levels that white light does.
So to sum it all up its all about reflectivity and human preception
 

·
Registered
Camry
Joined
·
6,925 Posts
You will need to use a 10mm wrench or socket and remove 3 or 4 bolts from each side. This will allow you to pull the shield down and reach your hand underneath to replace the bulb. You can lift the car if you want, but it's not really neccessary.

You will need 9006 bulbs to replace them. YOu cannot get to the fogs from the top. My 2002 owners manual said take to the dealer...to hell with that. Took me about 10 minutes total for both.
 

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
Joined
·
4,304 Posts
Zandro said:
Thats not true what physics perspective says about light and what you
actualty see is very different.
Have you ever seen 2 cars in dense fog, 1 with yellow fogs and 1 with white? I have, many times. There is NO DIFFERENCE. You see them just as equally through the fog. I was driving several days ago to a club in dense fog with two friends driving behind me next to each other... both had a Gen 9 Corolla S (they were part of a Corolla crew), and both had fogs. One had white, the other had yellow. There was absolutely no difference, and believe me, the fog was DENSE.
 

·
The 6"4 Viking
Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D
Joined
·
464 Posts
white3ch0c0late said:
Have you ever seen 2 cars in dense fog, 1 with yellow fogs and 1 with white? I have, many times. There is NO DIFFERENCE. You see them just as equally through the fog. I was driving several days ago to a club in dense fog with two friends driving behind me next to each other... both had a Gen 9 Corolla S (they were part of a Corolla crew), and both had fogs. One had white, the other had yellow. There was absolutely no difference, and believe me, the fog was DENSE.
Ok let me tell you something, you can`t compare sitting behind the actual steering wheel
driveing with observing as a bystander/3rd person, a bystander/3rd person will never get the same impression that the driver does. You would have to drive both cars in the same condition yourself to be abel to compare them. I have driven cars with both white and yellow fogs for many hours in both arctic winter and summer conditions and to me there is no doubt that yellow has an advantage over white fogs, snow or fog.
 

·
kor-ro-ra?
97 Corolla 1.8L 5spd
Joined
·
3,287 Posts
well he just wants new lights if he wanted yellow lights he wouldn't be changing them, he wants whiter ones to match the silverstars, so anyways his decision to change them is soley based on looks not performance.
 

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
Joined
·
4,304 Posts
Zandro said:
Ok let me tell you something, you can`t compare sitting behind the actual steering wheel
driveing with observing as a bystander/3rd person, a bystander/3rd person will never get the same impression that the driver does. You would have to drive both cars in the same condition yourself to be abel to compare them. I have driven cars with both white and yellow fogs for many hours in both arctic winter and summer conditions and to me there is no doubt that yellow has an advantage over white fogs, snow or fog.
Dude... fog lights aren't meant for the driver of the car with the fogs. They're meant so that OTHER DRIVERS can see you in harsh conditions. Fog lights don't light up the street, they only light up the area DIRECTLY in front of the car on the ground for other cars to see. They don't aid in visibility for the driver using the fogs. And don't talk to me like I'm a dumbass. I've had both white and yellow fogs myself.
 

·
The 6"4 Viking
Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D
Joined
·
464 Posts

·
02
Joined
·
4,180 Posts
I agree...

with Zandro. The reason fog lights are placed at the lowest point of the car is to increase visibility for the driver (and possibly oncoming traffic) in foggy conditions. One thing they have (seemingly) everywhere but the U.S. except on Audi's is a constant brake light whenever you do turn on your foglights so traffic behind you can see. I also think that Lexus has the safety of it's customers in mind and that is why HID is a standard/option? on all Lexus vehicles as well as having the yellow foglights. I don't think Lexus customers would care if it was yellow or orange as long as it improves their ability to see through fog and other conditions. So why would Lexus pick yellow, for aesthetics? I don't think so. Jon. p.s. if they were made for other drivers then they would be mandatory, like brake lights.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top