Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 96 Camry LE. It seems that the windshield starts to fog up if I don't have the AC running. With cars that I've had in the past, this has been an indication of a possible leaky evaporator or heater core. Does this hold true for the Camrys? How much is involved in replacing the evaporator and or heater core? Also, there are no signs of water on the floor mats or firewall. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mike

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
i have no clue of what your talking about. When my celice evaporator core went out...prior to that, i had NO symptoms of what your describe. Just use a nice rainax wipe for the inside of yoru car (use the anti-defogger one) and then see if the problem persists

·
Registered
5 Posts
foggy window

If the driving conditions are cool, moist, early morning etc, I have the same problem with the front windshield fogging up. Running the air conditioner in the defrost mode will get rid of the fogging. If the fogging happens in sunny, warm weather, you may have some other problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It happens in all weather. I suspect I'm getting fluid (probably antifreeze) in the duct vents. On past cars that I've owned, this has been a result of a bad evaporator or heater core. Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to replace the evaporator on a 96 Camry 4 cyl? My Chiltons manual doesn't cover it because it is AC related. Any/alll help is appreciated.

thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
i know what you mean but i have no solution for it

i haev the same problem in my gen3 but never in any other car!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you suspect a leaky heater core, you may smell a sweet odor in side the car. A physical check of the carpet, firewall, and a look UNDER the carpet on the passenger side may show a wet coolant leak.

Also, with leaky heater core, the interior may have this "always wet and sticky feel".

·
Official TN P.I.M.P.
98 Toyota Camry
179 Posts
I got the same problem in my 98. It does it whenever it's cool and humid. The defroster worked, but Rain-X really helps a lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts