Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
Thought I'd check back in and give some follow up on my 81 Starlet. Some might recall my idle woes.....and I want to say I appreciated the help from some members (you know who you are!)

Decided to just start from the beginning and rebuild the carb MYSELF. I had originally sent it to National Carburetor (the Florida branch) during the build phase of the Starlet. Came back 'looking' beautiful, but when the car would not even start, I found the choke linkage had been installed incorrectly and the choke could not operate at all! Pretty clear it was never bench tested as advertised. When I rebuilt the carb myself, I also found the float was nowhere near correct adjustment either.

Well, the moral of the story.....do it yourself if you want it done right. For the $20 cost of a kit.....the little beast is running beautifully again. In all fairness, it might have been something stuck in a passage that was cleaned out in the second rebuild.....I had not put on a new fuel pump (which is past the fuel filter) initially...but did replace it before installing carb this time. But the realization that a lot of money was spent for a 'professional' carb rebuild that was definitely LESS than professional. Buyer beware!!!

Anyway, I'm back on the road....enjoying driving past the gas stations as the prices climb again. I LOVE this little beast! It idles so smoothly the motor hardly seems to move. Has great zip on the highway. Now to do a paint job and she'll be SWEET!!! (course some new door weatherstripping would help the cabin noise! ;))
Thanks again for the help.
Tom

·
0 Posts
Good to see you got it running.:thumbsup: Its really a shame that company did such a horrible job re-building your carb. Did you get a new needle valve and float with the kit? How did you fix the idle adjustment screw?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey 96P,
It goes without saying that I will not use National Carburetor in the future. In fact, I was a bit shocked that they did not even apologize or offer to 'make it right' when I contacted them about the choke linkage. I did not bother to waste a call to complain about the other issues when I finally figured things out.

Yes, the kit had new needle and seat. Was a NOS Holley kit I found on magic eBay. I carefully cleaned up the idle mix screw with sandpaper...moving up through grits from 400 to 1000 while paying close attention to maintaining the angle of the cone. You can imagine my smile as it once again could be accurately adjusted. I dialed it in to where the little motor just sits and purrs at idle. I am driving it every day....about 75 miles....and really pleased with it.

Great little car...a bit spartan compared to today's offerings, but the trade off is cruising past the gas station with my wallet still intact. I will run the beast until the wheels fall off.....and then rebuild it again!!! Only real downside is the availability of parts. Hopefully what I have already gone through (virtually everything!) will keep it on the road for a long time.
Buying paint this week..... it's LOVE ..... :loove: HAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!
Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts