Toyota Nation Forum banner

4361 - 4380 of 4464 Posts

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,813 Posts
Today's farmers market was pretty great... One of my fav things is heirloom tomatoes, among the bunch were the Cherokee red (I think its called), a dark red, with great flavor. The fruits were great too, nectarines and white peaches..apricots...Lots of great variety of greens, fresh made chocolate bars(even dairy free tasted very good), and amazing breads. great to take to the beach and enjoy.....Except we couldnt find parking, lol, and with a couple families, the patients is short...so had some on the way home! Great pasta sauces as well. Will try again and hope to score on parking next time!

·
Registered
1997 Corolla CE
2,626 Posts
94 was it as good as you hoped? I've never had them.

Grilled up a big plate sized T bone. Was good and tender but I've tasted better. I spent only $5 on it so was worth the risk! Finished with a salted sliced tomato and red grapes.

They were awesome. I didn't realize your question was directed at me, sorry!! If you get a chance, I would try some. The chom chom (rambutan) is similar to a grape in taste. Some variations tend to be sweeter, or slightly sour. The dragon fruit texture is kind of like kiwi. Not sure how to describe the flavor though.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,813 Posts
We call those Chom Choms Leechi fruit. They are refreshing, and yes, texture maybe like a grape or more texture. The dragon fruit I have had once, and cant remember the taste. Has anyone here had durian fruit? it actually tastes good, just has a smell that is odd. But once you think about the smell and source you can distinguish it from the bad smell it mimics.

·
Super Moderator
12,864 Posts
I’ve been around durian plenty, back when my work sent me to Singapore often. Calling the smell “odd” is not exactly how I’d describe it. To me, it smells EXACTLY like a septic tank being pumped out. I can smell the stuff a block away, no lie. There are reasons it’s banned on the MRT (S’pore’s mass transit systems), and other public places.

I could never bring myself to try it. There are those who say it smells nothing like that, and that it’s sweet and buttery. I’ll never know.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,813 Posts
Catfish is an interesting thing....So there are farm raised and if not from a particular region, like Louisiana(I think), they cannot be called catfish. They say white fish, or scolara, or swahi or something. I am not getting the names right, but, they are new to me, and they are supposed to be like catfish, but from farms anywhere in the world. Many of these farms over breed or under=filter the water and they use cheaper incorrect feeds, and bloats the fish...so I would try steering clear from farm raised...On the flip side, far few are amasing farms with very high quality standards in farming the fish. I remember one that does salmon. But theyare not enough with such standards.

·
Registered
1992 Geo Prizm
1,398 Posts
Catfish is an interesting thing....So there are farm raised and if not from a particular region, like Louisiana(I think), they cannot be called catfish. They say white fish, or scolara, or swahi or something. I am not getting the names right, but, they are new to me, and they are supposed to be like catfish, but from farms anywhere in the world. Many of these farms over breed or under=filter the water and they use cheaper incorrect feeds, and bloats the fish...so I would try steering clear from farm raised...On the flip side, far few are amasing farms with very high quality standards in farming the fish. I remember one that does salmon. But theyare not enough with such standards.
No idea, but I have been to a trout farm before. You caught your own dinner, and paid for your fish that you caught out of the pond. One of the guys I was with caught a blue gill. :rofl2:They didn't charge him for it.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Found me a place yesterday that makes really good little chicken wings without fat in them like big wings have and they are very good so I'll be going back there sure enough!

Grilled up a tender juicy seasoned flank steak today and a medium sized tortilla with Mex cheese, guac, pico and Mex hot sauce. Finished with a tomato in thick salted slices. So rewarding to eat plus will have leftovers for tomorrow. :licklips:

·
7,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,374
"Judge's plate"
At Gettin Basted on the strip in Branson.
It was all good, I liked the sauce. The beans had 3 types one of which was Lima beans. Not a big fan of that.

·
7,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,378
Had a cookout tonight. I used the last of the boudain from Louisiana I had in the freezer. Pork and crawfish along with some brats and dogs. Had brownies and a pie for dessert I have never had before. They called it red white and blue. Apple, cherry and blueberry. It was good but I would rather have it as seperate pies I think.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
At a friend's place yesterday their table was full of grilled chicken, pork and sausage with tater salad and home made salsa from their garden, finished with some peach pie and white cake with cherries and coconut all shared with his family and another family that visited along with much laughter at the table as well. We went swimming afterward at my place and all the kids really had fun. Good food and good times with good people. Grateful to God for such a blessed life.

·
7,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,380
Had some of this today--

Sweet Smoke BBQ
127 E High St, Jefferson City, MO 65101
(573) 415-2480

Excellent. Everything I had, Sausage, brisket, and beans was perfect. The beans were outstanding if not a touch sweeter than I like normally. Sweet, smokey and a hint of smoke bbn with a touch of something extra to give them personality.

Highly recommended.

4361 - 4380 of 4464 Posts