Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ask your Mother
2009 Corolla XRS
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ontario Government finally passed the "No Hand Held Devices while Driving" Law. They are projecting it to take effect this fall. The Fines range from $500 - $2000 (w/ up to 5 yrs Prison) in the worst case. i.e. you cause a pretty bad collisoin while on your phone.

Items that fall under this Law
- Cellphones (Held to ear with your hand while talking and driving)
- PDA's / Smartphones (Texting, Reading, Talking, Emailing)
- Non-Mounted GPS Devices (Has to be mounted on Dash / Windshield)
- MP3 Players (Not Connected directly to your Car Stereo. AUX & USB Allowed)

Basically this means you have to have either the Wireless Ear Piece for your phone, or BlueTooth Speakerphone in your car. And use the Aux Jack for your MP3 players.

The Toyota Installed bluetooth system will work, p/n PT923-00090 ($200 +)
but so will some other brands like the Motorola ones. Motorola T505 ($99)

Thought some of you might be interested.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Glad that more and more places are enforcing this law. I would buy and install a bluetooth system for $200 instead of getting a fine of $500-$2000, it's such a better deal :p

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Rejoice! :clap:

About time the government does something about this epidemic causing bad drivers to become even worse behind the wheel. I swear that driving around Toronto is simply treacherous!

I hope they change their minds and put into full effect this summer.

·
Registered
2010 Corolla XRS
72 Posts
I've seen people blast straight through a red light, yapping on their cell, totally oblivious to what they just did.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
is this coming to alberta as well ? hope it does...i find road rage is becoming a big problem here these days....people getting impatient in 'construction zones' and i see them speed by talking on their cell phones...one guy actually overtook me in my residential area passing me via the oncoming lane with a cellphone in one hand :ugh3: in broad daylight...

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
Rejoice! :clap:

About time the government does something about this epidemic causing bad drivers to become even worse behind the wheel. I swear that driving around Toronto is simply treacherous!

I hope they change their minds and put into full effect this summer.
Tell me about it, just the mere lack of driving skills make them terrible enough with distractions its just get chaos. I truly enjoy rural roads now, any moderate or high volume roads are now stress tests. I'm happy I no longer have to drive at Yonge and Steeles daily anymore.

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
If you all use your brain for a second this is just a money grab from the government... hmm I wonder why this law passed so quickly now we're in a credit crisis?

Do you think laws on speeding will stop people from speeding? You've got to be fucking kidding me.

I'm still waiting for the government to make a law that bans dumb people from having dumb kids.

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
If you all use your brain for a second this is just a money grab from the government... hmm I wonder why this law passed so quickly now we're in a credit crisis?

Do you think laws on speeding will stop people from speeding? You've got to be fucking kidding me.

I'm still waiting for the government to make a law that bans dumb people from having dumb kids.
I agree 100%

·
First time Corolla owner
2009 Corolla
573 Posts
I agree 100%

Me too!!!!

What about this new law for anyone under the age of 21 with no alcohol in there blood... it's discrimation to teens/early 20's. Last time I checked anyone who is going to be really stupid and REALLY drink and then drive is going to be well over 21... more in there late 30's to 40's or more! Why can't this be in effect for EVERYONE! I happen to be 21 and I find it extremely EXTREMELY! stupid they are doing this....

The cell phone law, what about hummm eating? Changing the cd in the car? or WORSE!!! APPLYING MAKEUP!!! Yes I am female but WHY IS IT JUST CELL PHONES!!!! I've watched woman drive down the hwy applying mascara and people driving down the road eating sandwiches and them sitting on the passenger seating and them having to "take their eyes off the road" to grab a bite of the sandwich. No different than "taking my eyes off the road" to grab my cell phone! Makes no sense!

What happens if I am driving down the road and the person in front of me is in an accident and I don't have time to pull out my bluetooth to phone 911. When the police get there are they going to give me a ticket for calling 911 to save someone's life without a bluetooth. This is so stupid. I understand there reasoning but you're completely right, it's a money grabber and a way for cops to just keep on NOT doing their jobs properly...

People will still speed, people will still talk on the phone and text.. cops will try and fine them and they'll still do it. Last time I checked, you get a speeding ticket chances are your not going to from that point on go EXACTLY the speed limit, so why when the fine is only $500 bucks would you not just keep on gabbing or texting even after you've been given the fine. If it involved points then it might be taken a tad bit more serious!

And GPS, don't even get me started, i'm not going there!

·
Registered
31 Posts
They just passed something similar in North Carolina but they usually never get enforced. Its a great idea but only if Law Enforcement enforces it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Me too!!!!

What about this new law for anyone under the age of 21 with no alcohol in there blood... it's discrimation to teens/early 20's. Last time I checked anyone who is going to be really stupid and REALLY drink and then drive is going to be well over 21... more in there late 30's to 40's or more! Why can't this be in effect for EVERYONE! I happen to be 21 and I find it extremely EXTREMELY! stupid they are doing this....

The cell phone law, what about hummm eating? Changing the cd in the car? or WORSE!!! APPLYING MAKEUP!!! Yes I am female but WHY IS IT JUST CELL PHONES!!!! I've watched woman drive down the hwy applying mascara and people driving down the road eating sandwiches and them sitting on the passenger seating and them having to "take their eyes off the road" to grab a bite of the sandwich. No different than "taking my eyes off the road" to grab my cell phone! Makes no sense!

What happens if I am driving down the road and the person in front of me is in an accident and I don't have time to pull out my bluetooth to phone 911. When the police get there are they going to give me a ticket for calling 911 to save someone's life without a bluetooth. This is so stupid. I understand there reasoning but you're completely right, it's a money grabber and a way for cops to just keep on NOT doing their jobs properly...

People will still speed, people will still talk on the phone and text.. cops will try and fine them and they'll still do it. Last time I checked, you get a speeding ticket chances are your not going to from that point on go EXACTLY the speed limit, so why when the fine is only $500 bucks would you not just keep on gabbing or texting even after you've been given the fine. If it involved points then it might be taken a tad bit more serious!

And GPS, don't even get me started, i'm not going there!
That may be so in Canada but here in North Carolina its more like 50/50 and it may be a little higher than that for those under 21. We have alot of idiots. Mainly, because its so easy to get out of a DWI or DUI.

·
Ask your Mother
2009 Corolla XRS
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not a big deal really. They may not enforce it. Besides how often do you talk on the phone while driving anyways? Not very often I hope. I have a Motorola T505 in my car and it works for my needs. I've always prefered to have hands free. I don't talk a lot but i do hate searching for my phone while driving if someone calls. for $90 it was worth it. But then again knowing my luck i'd be the one who is the "example" the police use and slap a ticket on me.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
It's not a big deal really. They may not enforce it. Besides how often do you talk on the phone while driving anyways? Not very often I hope. I have a Motorola T505 in my car and it works for my needs. I've always prefered to have hands free. I don't talk a lot but i do hate searching for my phone while driving if someone calls. for $90 it was worth it. But then again knowing my luck i'd be the one who is the "example" the police use and slap a ticket on me.
You are fine as long as you are using a Bluetooth device, either through the car's audio system, a separate speaker like your T505 or Bluetooth headset, or even a wired headset. In these cases, the police would not be able to tell if you are speaking to a passenger in the car or even talking to yourself. They are targetting people who drive with only one hand -- or no hands -- on the wheel because they have a cellphone to their ear, are text-messaging or are trying to type away on some non-built-in device like a portable GPS unit or laptop computer.

How often do you talk on the phone while driving? Not often we hope, but I would estimate -- based upon my personal observations -- that two-thirds of Ontario drivers are visibly talking on a cellphone while driving.

How well it is enforced we cannot say right now but I think this will be one of those "enforce or face the wrath of the voter" issues, especially if there is another death or two of infants because mom or dad in the driver's seat is talking on the cellphone when the car is broadsided by a transport truck or train.

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
It's not a big deal really. They may not enforce it.
Remember OPP gave some 70-something year old grannie ticket for street racing few months back because he was going over 150km/h? Yeah they're totally not going to enforce it. I know.

·
Registered
586 Posts

If you think this law is a money grab you're loopy. Cops can currently pull over every 2nd car for speeding/ rolling a stop,etc. This just means that instead of pulling someone over for yapping on their cell and charging them with driving without due care and having the charge thrown out due to lack of evidence something is actually on the books. IF it was a money thing they'd just go with the current laws that allows a cop to charge you with Careless driving while on your cellphone. ($350ish ticket). The law is just catching up with technology.....after they pay the officer their time and judge and the crown...how much of the $200 you actually think the Province keeps? We don't have enough backlog in the traffic courts already? It's just putting teeth on common sense.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts