Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love them or hate them, SUV's are becoming more and more popular and taking all of the market away from medium-large family sedans, such as the Camry and Avalon (Falcon and Commodore also in Australia). Toyota Australia, a few years back now, were the first to introduce the 'soft-roadrers' with the Rav4 and since then have been doing some extensive research into what people want here in Australia.

They found that most people want the ability to have choice. This meant being able to drive around the city getting reasonable milage and the choice to take it off road if they wanted to. As a result Toyota Australia have just released what they are labling 'the ultimate crossover', the Toyota Kluger (pron. Klooger).

The Kluger is driven by the current Camry V6 with full-time AWD and the option of 7 seats. It handles like a sedan, but has the ability to tackle sand dunes, mud and snow (also has a pretty good towing capacity). I Personally dont like SUV's, but i must admit, im slowly warming to the Kluger. I was just curious as to what you guys think of it.

BTW.. i can only base this on Australian markets as i'm not too up-to-speed with the American Market. Pictures below:

·
Rated H: Chikan Sukebe
02 Vitz
1,363 Posts
Yeah the Kluger is actually readly available in Japan now under that name and in the US as the Highlander

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
I would never buy an SUV here in NY. Maybe if I lived out in the boonies or by the woods. Or in an area with severe winter conditions.

·
Zoom-Zoom
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
7,128 Posts
sometimes the only reason people get SUVs is because they want 3 row seating in a brand new car, and as far as i know, no sedan offers 3 row seating...

O/T: my 9 year old sister told my mom "Hey, let's get a black Sequoia..!"

she hangs around my brother and i too much..:)

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,960 Posts
i want an ULTIMATE suv...a school bus that way i have seating for an intire class and i can do serious dammage if i hit someone:D

or maybe a greyhound bus yeah that would be better:cool:

·
TN's Resident Goddess.
2007 Camry SE
6,090 Posts
The Higlander is now going hybrid for 2005. Personally I do not like SUV's but being in New England, winter conditions for at least 5 months out of the year, and living on a hill-I wouldn't mind an eco-friendly, 4 wheel drive. The prius is having some techinical problems with the display panel, and is not registering the correct gas levels. And the training for the hybrids are expensive so there are like only one mechanic at a toyota delership. (Well here in Massachusetts). So who knows how the higlander will be with the hybrid system.

·
Gen5.5 Sportivo V6
04 Camry Sportivo V6
554 Posts
thespud said:
The Kluger is driven by the current Camry V6 with full-time AWD and the option of 7 seats. It handles like a sedan, but has the ability to tackle sand dunes, mud and snow (also has a pretty good towing capacity). I Personally dont like SUV's, but i must admit, im slowly warming to the Kluger. I was just curious as to what you guys think of it.
technically the Kluger isnt running the current Camry V6 in Australia anyway. The Aus Camry V6 is still a Non-VVTi 1MZ-FE :(
hopefully the 3MZ-FE will come soon :D

But back on topic :lol:
the Kluger is very nice :D, my dad bought a new one a few weeks ago :D, its definately a good buy :thumbup:

Personally I would have preferred a Toyota Prado but we didnt have much of a need for such a big 4WD :lol:

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
SuV's are stupid and pointless. No one uses them for what their made for. All you see is soccer Mom's driving them around sucking up gas and making our gas prices go up because they suck up so much damn gas. I swear people are stupid as hell. If you don't have 4-5 kids then you shouldn't be able to own one

·
Gen5.5 Sportivo V6
04 Camry Sportivo V6
554 Posts
yep that is so true :p:
if i drove a 4WD/SUV it would be for its purpose, I would probably be one of the rare few who would actually take the 4wd off road :D :lol:

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry, that was a typo... it is borrowing some parts of the camry/avalon (is it the Avalon that runs the 3MZ?) I, dunno.. sorry bout that..

·
Gen5.5 Sportivo V6
04 Camry Sportivo V6
554 Posts
thespud said:
is it the Avalon that runs the 3MZ?
nope :p:, only the Kluger at the moment runs the 3MZ-FE in Australia :)......
well also the Lexus RX330 does ;)

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fair enough.. can u tell i dont really pay much attention to the camry's? (sorry all u camry ppl)

·
TN's Resident Goddess.
2007 Camry SE
6,090 Posts
Rapeacivic said:
SuV's are stupid and pointless. No one uses them for what their made for. All you see is soccer Mom's driving them around sucking up gas and making our gas prices go up because they suck up so much damn gas. I swear people are stupid as hell. If you don't have 4-5 kids then you shouldn't be able to own one
I agree. But then again I am a 23yr old college student...so I don't have kids, nor plan on having any-anytime soon! But I do need the 4 wheel drive to getup my mountain of a driveway in the snowy winters and yes-I would definitley take it off road! :p:

·
DJModifyd
1,492 Posts
i have a 4 runner....i have it because of the winter

i live in north dakota......the ass hole of the the USA

we have winter almost 6 months out of the year.......with 2-3 feet of snow in some places

i go driving by people that have 4wheel drive cars (such as subaru's) they are stuck, because they have to little ground clearence (sp?)

i have yet to get stuck in my 4runner....i'm sure i will some day, but i just fly through the winter like no tomorrow.

i also drive it on really bad days if i have to drive

or if its raining and i can't take the bike (and i don't want to take the camry) i take the 4runner........but if its nice out i don't even touch it.

·
Relax, guy!
100 Posts
I really don't like SUVs, for many of the reasons already posted in this thread, but I do acknowledge that there are a few people out there that actually do use them for what they're meant for.

And terrynham, you guys don't get the Avensis sedan, too?

·
Traitor
332 Posts
2wickedtoyz said:
i want an ULTIMATE suv...a school bus that way i have seating for an intire class and i can do serious dammage if i hit someone:D

or maybe a greyhound bus yeah that would be better:cool:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

you may as well get a semi

·
pseudo-systematic
176 Posts
SUV's really get on my nerves. i also hate people who get full size trucks and jack 'em way up but never go off road or haul anything.

·
mystery dude
51 Posts
SUV joke: There's an easy way to tell native Coloradans from new residents: New residents have brand-new Ford Expeditions with all the trimmings, natives have 12-year-old Subaru station wagons.

Seriously, if you need 4WD/AWD and decent gas mileage in a car, Subaru has done it for years.

(and my cousins' last name is Kluger, so this thread is mildly amusing to me)
--Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts