Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted to turbocharge or supercharge their 7th gen Camry's? I haven't read anyone attempting this on the 2GR-FE engines.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,490 Posts
Have you googled it? If you don't see any results, then your answer would be "no".

·
Registered
180 Posts
It would be quite a chore getting this engine's electronics and sensors to play nice with a wild modification such as a turbocharger. I don't know of anyone who has persevered with making this work, likely because the engine isn't performance-oriented in the first place.

In other words, it would make a lot more sense to start with a different car, or get a car that has the performance you're looking for designed into it.
The only engine improvement I would do is to simply replace the air filter at much-shorter intervals than recommended, probably the cheapest and easiest horsepower per dollar spent.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,888 Posts
the 2gr-fe was super charged for Lotus so I am sure it is possible...

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,490 Posts
It would be quite a chore getting this engine's electronics and sensors to play nice with a wild modification such as a turbocharger. I don't know of anyone who has persevered with making this work, likely because the engine isn't performance-oriented in the first place.

In other words, it would make a lot more sense to start with a different car, or get a car that has the performance you're looking for designed into it.
The only engine improvement I would do is to simply replace the air filter at much-shorter intervals than recommended, probably the cheapest and easiest horsepower per dollar spent.
Lotus has been using the 2GR-FE for over a decade for their V6 supercharged cars, including the current Evora and the Exige. There's a shop called Monkeywrench Racing that specializes in the 2GR-FE and sells the necessary internals and parts for the engine so the sources are out there to do it.

Even though Lotus has them supercharged, it uses different ECU, internals, and parts. You will really need to overhaul everything to make the supercharger work. It's not a simple plug n play. Countless people have tried but it's the ECU that everyone had issue with and could not make it work. TRD Australia offered a supercharged 2GR-FE but for only a short time. That's probably the best option you have by checking several Australian Aurion forums and see if anyone are selling the superchargers.

The best possible option if you want to supercharge it is with an HKS kit.

If you want to spend $$$ and experiment with it, let us know! I'm waiting for someone to try this kit out and it doesn't require reprogramming the factory ECU.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would bet that even the cylinder heads, combustion chamber shape and all, were made different for the Lotus variant, in addition to added oil jets cooling the pistons, etc.
So if TRD was trying to make a bolt-on kit for the standard block and heads, that would limit the amount of boost that might otherwise make such a complicated kit worthwhile.

For actual racing though, the best approach to engine performance each new season depends on what the competition is running, and what the ever-changing rules allow.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,490 Posts
Toyota basically provided the engine block. Lotus improved it. Toyota had no involvement with any of the engine development for Lotus.

·
Registered
272 Posts
ven though Lotus has them supercharged, it uses different ECU, internals, and parts. You will really need to overhaul everything to make the supercharger work. It's not a simple plug n play. Countless people have tried but it's the ECU that everyone had issue with and could not make it work. Even TRD Australia tried supercharging it with a similar Eaton blower and had to cancel it before it hit the market so none of the them were sold. If TRD can't make it work, I don't think any average person can.
Um... have a search on an Australian used car site, TRD sold the supercharged V6 camry ( called Aurion here) for a few years. Here is a link to the Australian toyota forum about them:

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,490 Posts
Um... have a search on an Australian used car site, TRD sold the supercharged V6 camry ( called Aurion here) for a few years. Here is a link to the Australian toyota forum about them:

That's true, they did sell but only for a short time before Toyota stopped. My mistake.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It was the 3.5l DOHC making 323hp (up from 268hp) through a 6s sequential gearbox.
Toyota's first TRD car.
The supercharged application development for this car was by Harrop Engineering Australia, and the suspension was thoroughly upgraded and lowered a bit.
Twin Vortices Eaton blower was said to be very quiet, so the car would be somewhat of a sleeper, and the blower's efficiency reduced the need for any intercooler.
0-60 in six seconds.
It was mentioned that they retained the standard fuel rail, and that few special tools were needed to work on these.
I wonder how well that these cars retain value today and how hard it would be to find one in Oz.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts