Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota Celica
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about putting a 302 small block in my 83 celica running a Twin t3/t4 Turbo setup to put about 600 hp to the rear wheels. i know it will fit because when i had my 22re out for the rebuild i sat a bare block in there. I think it'll be fun to do as well as a challange.

Looking for feedback as to if anyone has done anything like this before or not

·
SCCA Tech Services
2005 Corolla S
547 Posts
joe_83_2000 said:
I am thinking about putting a 302 small block in my 83 celica running a Twin t3/t4 Turbo setup to put about 600 hp to the rear wheels. i know it will fit because when i had my 22re out for the rebuild i sat a bare block in there. I think it'll be fun to do as well as a challange.

Looking for feedback as to if anyone has done anything like this before or not
that would be a nice setup. Although I am the kind of person that thinks a Toyota chassis should only have a Toyota motor in it but to that I just say to each his own. I think it would be cool and a hell of a build. however just think how much more you have to do other then just dropping in a motor and getting it to run. you also will need to stiffen up and strengthen up the chassis and body as it was never made to be able to hold anywhere close to 600 hp. the suspension is going to need to be completly redone since the 302 is a lot heavier motor then a 22R and plus that much power is going to change the suspension on it. The rear end is going to need to be changed to a rear end that can hold that much power as the 6.7" rear end sometimes has a problem holding 200hp. Also you are going to need to mate a tranny to that whether it be a for tranny or something else you will still have to probably cut a hol ein the floor board because the likley hood of the tranny you use having the same shifter location as the stock 22R tranny is slim to none. However if you can do all that then more power to you and I will bow down to you and the power you put out.

·
Registered
Toyota Celica
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i know i can do it i am finishing up putting a 302 in an MGB if you don't know what it is it's a small open top British sports car about the same size as a celica. i am going to use a narrowed ford 8.8 rear end out of a fox body with coil overs in the rear. and I am thinking about doing a mustang II front suspension subframe. the shifter location is also not off by much and i can move the engine forward or back alittle to comp.

·
Registered
Toyota Celica
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not a big fan of that one motor mounts are poorly designed and welded mig not tig they break the first time he tries to launch it. He also used the stock rear end. i'd like to see it when he's done with the launch the spider gears laying on the ground.. could be a neat pic though

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
People have done the Lexus 1UZ-FE V8 into the Celica Supra... :cool:

·
Registered
Toyota Celica
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've been kicking around a few plants for this thing. thought about the 3.4 v6 from a tacoma with a six speed, adding the TRD supercharger just for fun. but i want to run twin turbos

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
I would go with the super since u will get instant power instead of waiting on those two turbos to spool. Just my two cents:lol:

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Like other people have said in numerous threads. It is not a matter of if it can be done it is more how much money adn tiem do you ahve to do it. I rememebr seeing a blown 305 in a 2nd generation Supra in Hot Rod magazine about 15 years ago. I mean full blown pro stock looking, the whole nine yards. Obviously to get in to Hot Rod it was professionally done and all but it wasnt to bad looking of an install. THe blower sticking out of the hood looked pretty screwy with the way the supra hood slopes down and all. But hey if you ahve the time and the money I say go for it. Like others said there is a lot more than jsut dropping the motor and tranny in but if you are dropping a 302 in a MGB you probably already know all of that.

·
Registered
Toyota Celica
233 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts