Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
straight cash homie
22,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/03/23/ford-explorer-police-interceptor/6703907/
Ford has already claimed that the police verson of the Explorer SUV has become America's new most popular cop car. Now it says it has the numbers to prove it.

Ford sold 14,086 Interceptor SUVs last year, as the police version of the Explorer is known, up 140% from the year before. At the same time, it sold 10,897 Taurus outfitted for police work, up 31% from 2012.

Together, they account for almost half of all police vehicles sold among the major brands -- Dodge, Ford and Chevrolet, according to Ford, which bases its analysis on data from industry statisticians R.L. Polk.

The industry as a whole was up 22% last year. Taurus competes in the police sedan market against Dodge Charger and Chevrolet Caprice. General Motors announced a new Chevrolet SUV in February that will go up against the Explorer. All are trying to fill the gap left by Ford's decision to kill the venerable Crown Victoria sedan, the mainstay of America's police agencies for years.

Ford says it has prospered three ways, according to Jonathan Honeycutt, police marketing manager at Ford:

•The new utility vehicle body is suited to the changing role of police officers, who need to carry more equipment to be ready for any contingency.

•Some 90% of the Interceptors being sold now come with standard all-wheel drive.

•More choices of turbocharged engines are being offered.

"Many officers told us, 'We need more space, but we also need performance'," said Honeycutt in a statement. "We knew with the amount of equipment officers now have to transport that our utility vehicle would be a hit."

·
straight cash homie
22,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really don't see why cops need to drive such big heavy, unreliable, fuel thirsty vehicles. Seems like hybrids would do just fine. NYPD uses quite a lot of hybrids and Camrys.
It isn't reliable when there's plenty of your tax dollars to pay for them repairs. :D I doubt you can convince the whole LEO community that a Prius is better than an old CVPI.

·
Registered
740 Posts
A Prius would be a horrible police car. It doesn't have any power and it's not as massive as the average car. All it takes is a nudge here or there on a Prius and you have a bent control arm or sliding down the block on the roof of your car.

Crown Vics are actually quite reliable. If most people had any idea how much abuse police cars go through, you'd be shocked to find out how they even last 3 years. Yet many of them have been in service for at least 12. In a Vic, you can replace nearly half of the car and it's still operational. On the new unibody cars like the Charger, a moderate accident is all it takes to total the car. Oops, a Charger was hit by a suspect in a Honda Civic, time to slap the tax payers with another $60,000 car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The Explorer is as unstable as a prius since it's up so high

It's as thirsty as a crown vic

It's unibody so it won't take abuse as well as a crown vic

Sounds to me like they bought it for the cool factor. If they only needed cargo space they could have used a Transit or compact suv.

Years ago the California Highway patrol considered using volvo wagons, but ultimately backed out cause it was uncool

Great way to spend tax dollars - make decisions based on coolness. Most American families can't afford to do this.

·
Registered
263 Posts
And oh yeah despite what movies say, most cop cars are not used in pursuits and ramming bad guys. That's simply modern us law enforcement policy anymore. My brothers a cop and these days they are very limited in what they can do even if a car takes off on them. 95 percent of their duties is sitting around or patrolling. Far better to do this in a hybrid or compact car.

·
straight cash homie
22,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
And oh yeah despite what movies say, most cop cars are not used in pursuits and ramming bad guys. That's simply modern us law enforcement policy anymore. My brothers a cop and these days they are very limited in what they can do even if a car takes off on them. 95 percent of their duties is sitting around or patrolling. Far better to do this in a hybrid or compact car.
LOL what? And there are many cops out there who've never had to fire their gun in the line of duty, so may be we should just disarm them or even replace them with rent-a-cops....right.

http://jalopnik.com/police-say-seattle-mayor-wants-prius-cop-cars-instead-o-1478147419
But a Prius isn't a real option. Police cars are more than just cars — they need to be rugged, able to carry a ton of stuff and people, good in a pursuit, and reasonably inexpensive to buy and maintain. The Prius doesn't hit most of those points, and I'm sure any actual officer would balk at the thought of using one for patrol, regardless of Seattle's green "values."

·
Registered
264 Posts
Crown Vics are actually quite reliable. If most people had any idea how much abuse police cars go through, you'd be shocked to find out how they even last 3 years. Yet many of them have been in service for at least 12. In a Vic, you can replace nearly half of the car and it's still operational. On the new unibody cars like the Charger, a moderate accident is all it takes to total the car. Oops, a Charger was hit by a suspect in a Honda Civic, time to slap the tax payers with another $60,000 car.
Its fairly common for police agencies to get Hemi Chargers at around 23k, not sure where 60k police cars are used.

The Crown Vic excels in front-back impacts, but it handles side impact much worse than the Charger. A big reason the Panthers got killed was Ford's unwillingness to invest in the platform to meet 2012+ MY side impact and roof crush testing requirements.

It's a shame as we own both a Second gen LX as well as a late model Panther, and I can 't imagine having to choose one to keep.

Now that Taurus, what a POS. Its fatter brother Explorer is no better.

·
Registered
740 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
When I went on my Asian vacation a few years ago I saw that they had these as cop cars.

I started laughing. However, when I saw how narrow and congested their streets were, they were sufficient for the job. No need for large high horse powered cars when you can't go beyond 40 mph.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The BARE car is 23K. Don't forget all the upgrades they get. Suspension, cooling system, ballistic, structure, computers... etc.

This charger is nearly $50K.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/government-politics/2013-dodge-charger-police-package
"Loaded with the full complement of official hardware, the price of this Charger shot to $46,355."
You do realize that's a demo unit for demonstration purposes, right? Do yo always check all the option boxes AND pay full msrp for cars?

If you are not aware of how bids are made in police car procurement, look it up. Rarely do PDs pay more than 30k on a fully loaded patrol car after service agreements. Manufacturers make very little margin on police cars, and the final transaction price will shock those who always pay sticker for cars.

The suspension on police cars are nothing more than stiffer springs, stiffer shocks, and maybe a slightly thicker set of sway bars, that is the case with CVPIs and Charger pursuits. The auxiliary transmission cooler is not THAT expensive.

Oh yeah, what happened to the 60k charger? Even 46k is a long way from 60k.

Using the Ford Explorer police as an example:

The state has authorized up to 751 Explorers to replace the CHP's Crown Victorias, which Ford no longer produces.

Cost per Explorer: $26,578, about $2,500 more than the Crown Vics cost. The price includes a five-year/100,000- mile power train warranty.

Read more here: http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2013/07/22/3121383/the-buzz-jay-leno-previews-chps.html#storylink=cpy

·
Registered
264 Posts
Base price of a fleet delivery is a far cry from a fully finished commissioned police cruiser. The computers alone and the lighting system cost thousands of dollars. There's more to than slapping an ipad on the dash and taping flashlights on the roof of cars.

You're obviously very ignorant about police cars to think that they only cost a grand or two more than civilian variants INCLUDING all the police equipment and package installed.

You apparently have a problem admitting when you're wrong. I can't help you with that bud. You gotta pull the stick out of your butt yourself.

Also, we all know fleet managers ALWAYS throw out light bars, electronics, laptops, etc everytime they get a new car so they always furnish a new car from ground up. Yep, better add full retail costs of those items to the MSRP price of a fleet car so Jimmy_Long can call others ignorant.

First it's a 60k charger(that doesn't exist), then it's a 46k charger(that no fleet will pay that much for), then it's "all those suspension and cooling upgrades"(that are minimally different from retail parts and included in base price), then it's "thousands in lights and computers"(that in real world get recycled from car to car). Do you have a single version of your argument to stick to? While we are at it why don't we add the wages of the cops to the cost of the car so we can make the "60k Charger" thing work?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Also, we all know fleet managers ALWAYS throw out light bars, electronics, laptops, etc everytime they get a new car so they always furnish a new car from ground up. Yep, better add full retail costs of those items to the MSRP price of a fleet car so Jimmy_Long can call others ignorant.

First it's a 60k charger(that doesn't exist), then it's a 46k charger(that no fleet will pay that much for), then it's "all those suspension and cooling upgrades"(that are minimally different from retail parts and included in base price), then it's "thousands in lights and computers"(that in real world get recycled from car to car). Do you have a single version of your argument to stick to? While we are at it why don't we add the wages of the cops to the cost of the car so we can make the "60k Charger" thing work?
Light bars are different bud. They threw out all those high profile bars on top of the Crown Vics and replaced them with low profile super bright LED bars. They had to buy new ones. They simply could replace the bulb and throw them on the Explorers.

Cop cars aren't cheap as dirt. If they were most PDs would have replaced the Crown Vics over a decade ago. Cop cars cost more than a few hundred bucks over civilian trim to produce.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Light bars are different bud. They threw out all those high profile bars on top of the Crown Vics and replaced them with low profile super bright LED bars. They had to buy new ones. They simply could replace the bulb and throw them on the Explorers.
So do those LED bars sitting on top of P71/P7Bs will all go to the trash pile once they switch to 9C1s, Tahoe's or Chargers?

·
Registered
740 Posts
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/preview-concept/5-new-cop-cars
" This compilation does not specify standard features or options, which can include light bars, push bumpers, two-way radios, firearm lockers, high-output alternators, radar guns, spotlights, video cameras, and all the assorted extra equipment that can easily inflate the price of a police car beyond the $70,000 range."

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2013/12/businesses_13_ambulances_costi.html
The city has received 60 police cars at a cost to donors of $45,000 to $50,000 each.
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/what-makes-a-police-car-cost-120000-20130128-2dgcd.html
‘‘The car, including the equipment, is worth about $120,000,’’ Acting Superintendent Mark Cook, of the Highway Patrol Command, told reporters on Sunday.
^^^Given that's a prototype, I don't see it's final cost going anywhere below half of that.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,777 Posts
Having seen the bids and working in a large law enforcement agency I agree with Calnra. Police cars are cheap and lighting/computers are all separate contracts. Total cost rarely exceeds 30K and even with SUV's like the Tahoe it isn't much more.

Just like in normal production cars, police options aren't significant cost increases and with a bidding process competitive pricing is a must. Usually the cheapest car wins out unless it comes to SUV's where the utility outweighs the need for the cheapest ride.

Also nearly all our CVPI are 2005+ and have newer clear light bars unlike the old red and blue bar on top. They get reused when the CVPIs get sold.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Having seen the bids and working in a large law enforcement agency I agree with Calnra. Police cars are cheap and lighting/computers are all separate contracts.
Everyone knows that the car itself are cheap. Even my dog could have told us that. However, I'm talking about the ENTIRE cost to produce a cop car. When cop cars get destroyed, the contents inside it don't miraculously survive.

Again, the topic in discussion is the cost of the ENTIRE car, including the equipment.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,777 Posts
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/preview-concept/5-new-cop-cars
" This compilation does not specify standard features or options, which can include light bars, push bumpers, two-way radios, firearm lockers, high-output alternators, radar guns, spotlights, video cameras, and all the assorted extra equipment that can easily inflate the price of a police car beyond the $70,000 range."

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2013/12/businesses_13_ambulances_costi.html

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/what-makes-a-police-car-cost-120000-20130128-2dgcd.html
‘‘The car, including the equipment, is worth about $120,000,’’ Acting Superintendent Mark Cook, of the Highway Patrol Command, told reporters on Sunday.
^^^Given that's a prototype, I don't see it's final cost going anywhere below half of that.

Common sense dude. Use it.
The second article is from Australia. The base price of the car was 50K and there stuff costs more regardless. Allegedly a 60K BMW is 100K there.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.