1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Every road's a playground
2000 camry ce
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/1558/

January 30, 2007 Aston: yours for £500 million

If you fancy owning Aston Martin, you'd better get your hand down the back of the sofa pronto to find £500 million.

That's the asking price Ford wants - or more accurately desperately needs - for its flagship sporting brand.

The sell-off of Aston will help bolster ailing Ford, which lost more than £6.4 billion in 2006.

If you're tempted, you'd better hurry - investment bank UBS has decided today is the deadline for offers.

UBS is managing the sell-off, and in pole position to win the sale at the moment is James Packer, who just happens to Australia's richest man.

The lucky winner of the Aston auction will be announced later in the week.
thank god. hope new owner will return aston to its british roots. now only if Ford will sell Land Rover :D

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
They should sell Jaguar too.. Marketing a Luxury car based on a Ford Taurus = bad move. :ugh3:

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,625 Posts
Ford's been talking about selling Aston Martin for months. They finally went ahead huh?

It'll probably go to some rich sob.

·
I don't sugarcoat!!
1995 Camry LE Coupe
393 Posts
Its amazing to think but the quality of Land Rover, Jag and Aston are better with Ford ownership. :ugh3:

·
Registered
589 Posts
camrycoupe95 said:
Its amazing to think but the quality of Land Rover, Jag and Aston are better with Ford ownership. :ugh3:
Agreed. Aston has never had better cars than they do today, under Ford's watch.

This is typical of these niche car makers though. Think about it. A giant like Ford has the manufacturing processes and quality controls down a lot better than a private investor that is hiring a few people or a smaller private company to design and assemble cars for him.

The time to buy an Aston (if you're in the market of course) is definitely now, before it goes private again.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,862 Posts
anyone want to "lend" me £499,999,950?

·
Registered
502 Posts
toyotaholic said:
hope new owner will return aston to its british roots.
I'm sure the new owner could stop using galvanized metal so that they rust-out as a proper British car should.

Also, they could really dick with the electrical system.

C

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
Ford needs to sell the rest of it's companies back to their origins...cos damn i can't buy a car that has anything to do with FORD.

·
Research is Your Friend!!
2006 GTO
851 Posts
nodrogkam said:
Ford needs to sell the rest of it's companies back to their origins...cos damn i can't buy a car that has anything to do with FORD.
Why? There are several cars I would own from Ford (and it's subsidiaries). Land Rover Sport (Supercharged), Aston Martin (any), Volvo, Mazda3, Lincoln MKZ, Mustang GT500. . . . .You wouldn't own any of these? Do you like any car FoMoCo makes? If so, have you test driven any of them or do you avoid them souly due to it being made by Ford?

If that is the case, you are very closed minded, and quite frankly, ignorant. :rolleyes: There is a whole world of cars out there you will never know, some of those cars may even be better than Toyota's competing product. ;)

·
FJ nut
2,185 Posts
Z28Wilson said:
Agreed. Aston has never had better cars than they do today, under Ford's watch.
:rolleyes:
Sure. I knew u would agree to that.

Ford's watch? LOL !

LAND ROVER is at the BOTTOM BOTTOM BOTTOM when it comes to reliability. I am not just talking DATA on the INTERNET... I know people going through a lot of grief with almost all of their Land Rovers. Jaguar is really not in the highlights ever for good quality. I see no evidence of Ford bringing anybody "up".... sorry to say... ;)

Mazda... it was good before 1982 when Ford bent it and started fucking it, started using its engines in the Fords. Look where Mazda is today, thanks to Ford........... Think.................. Think................. or don't. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
497 Posts
camrycoupe95 said:
It's true. Ford made a lot of improvements on those cars. They acutally made the quality a lot better than it was.

·
Research is Your Friend!!
2006 GTO
851 Posts
Land Rover just goes to show, people will put up with alot to own a status symbol, even if it costs them time and money. I looked into getting one of the LR Sport Supercharged when they first came out. VERY nice interior, IMHO it is one of the best interiors out. I know the reputation of LR's (not good), yet I was still willing to put that aside to own one. The price was, however, "non-negotiable" as the salesman put it, so I left. If I am not mistaken, Land Rover had a pretty good year in 2006, and actually turned a profit for Ford. When all of the talk of selling Jaguar (a money pit) was thrown about, it was said that the only way Ford could pull it off was to sell Land Rover (and/or Aston Martin) with it. Basically, the buyer would get one money making company (Land Rover) and one money losing company (Jaguar).

As far as Mazda, I find them to be the most appealing "Japanese" car maker (well Subaru too). I see Mazda as the BMW (sport tuned) of Japanese cars. I've test driven a MazdaSpeed6 (very nice, and quite fast), as well as their new CX-7 (SWEET turbo I4!!Terrible gas mileage and it requires premium!!). Ford, IMO, has done nothing to screw-up Mazda. Ford pretty much has a "hands off" policy with them as far as engineering goes. Yes Ford shares parts with them, and will do so even more in the future, but who cares? Mazda is in great shape (though I'm not sure about them getting the CX-9, doesn’t fit their image).

·
Registered
589 Posts
RAV4EVR said:
:rolleyes:
LAND ROVER is at the BOTTOM BOTTOM BOTTOM when it comes to reliability.
Where did anyone mention Land Rover? I thought this was an Aston thread? Oh, this is just the opportunity to bash on a domestic again. My mistake.

Actually if you would take a few minutes to read about the history of Aston Martin you'd know that Ford has done good things for it, especially considering where they were in the 70's and 80's. They've invested a lot of money modernizing its production facilities, introduced desperately-needed new models (Vanquish and DB line), they even got Aston back into racing for the first time in nearly 2 decades.

RAV4EVR said:
Mazda... it was good before 1982 when Ford bent it and started fucking it, started using its engines in the Fords. Look where Mazda is today, thanks to Ford........... Think.................. Think................. or don't. :rolleyes:
There was a time there where Mazda wasn't all that exciting....but today, I think Mazda has carved a great niche. The Mazda 3 has won a TON of awards (some still consider it to be the top compact on the market). Their cars are generally considered to be engaging and fun to drive, and are well received by critics. So I'm not sure what you are referring to, exactly.

It isn't just exotics under the Ford umbrella that have gotten better. Look at where Lamborghini was before Chrysler, and then VW/Audi, got them. Lambo was dead. Chrysler started to set them straight with the Diablo, and now Lambo builds some of the baddest cars on the planet (IMO ;) ). How about BMW reviving the Mini, something Rover was in no position to do. There are more examples.

·
Registered
589 Posts
toyotaholic said:
Lamborghini was in bankruptcy for many years from the late 70's to mid 80's, and was bought by Chrysler in '87. The Countach was its lone model and by that time was extremely old (though it was still my favorite car as a kid....ever see Cannonball Run?)

Just in: Louis Vuitton has bought Aston for approximately $1.2B US. Ford will keep a 15% stake. Who here honestly believes Aston will produce better cars under the direction of a purse designer? :disappoin

·
Every road's a playground
2000 camry ce
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i dont think its a matter of what company, but its corporate culture. yea LV makes purses, but it sure damn attracts consumers. fine materials, quality, characteristics thatll make Aston what it should be

1 - 20 of 20 Posts