1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
707 Posts
The lasat decent truck Ford built was the Lightning. I have had Rangers to F350's and none compare to the Toyota.

·
Registered
2005 toyota tacoma
25 Posts
I feel sorry for the employes not for the company, the last ford vehicle i had was a 2000 windstar. That pice of s$$$ spend more time at the shop that at home. I guest the american people are realizing the crapy vehicles they make.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I agree, I'm no longer a fan of most American vehicles, (up until the Tacoma, and wife's Wrx, we've always had American vehicles) but what's going on w/ the big three right now, will more than likely have a major affect on our economy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, in my family we've been always a Ford family. My father worked at the Canovanas Ford plant for 14 years (until it closed in 1985). Many of our family cars throughout the years have been Fords. Yes, the 80's sucked, but it was like that for all 80's cars, not just Fords. My last car before the Tacoma was a 2002 Ranger and I loved the truck. Never had a problem with it for 47,000 miles (when we sold it for the Taco). My older sister has an Escape and she loves it. No problems with it. Its been reliable and tough. My younger sister has an Explorer and she loves it. My father had an F-150 and got rid of it only because of the poor gas mileage. I think Ford trucks will always be great vehicles. If they had a mid-size truck, I would have definitely put it on my top-3 list along woth the Taco and the Frontier. Sadly they have been missing the bandwagon, while Toyota is increasing their Tacoma production.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As a Ranger owner I have this to say. They are great trucks up to about 100K miles, then watch out. I made it to 128K without any problems. Since then I've have had one problem after another. I rarely took this off paved roads, but the ball joints are worn out. I had a Mazda B2200, not a single problem up to 160K miles. At that point the head gasket blew. I should have replaced the head gasket and kept the Mazda. People are telling me they have been exceeding over 200K without any problems, and 300K in some cases with the normal wear and tear you would expect (maybe replacing a clutch, balljoints, etc).

I like Ford products, but few of their vehicles are of the type that can be driven till the wheels fall off. Their design and styling is among the best (visually). They have made exceptional products in the past, have the ability to make vehicles that will last 300K miles, and every bean counter working for Ford knows it. The problem with them is...well, they are American. Their philosophy is if they make a vehicle that will consistently have annoying problems, people will get annoyed with the car and buy a new one. (GM uses this philosophy moreso than Ford). The Japanese use a different approach. Make the car last until the upholstery vaporizes, because that will bring back repeat buyers.

Well, Ford and GM are right. Consumers do get annoyed with constant car troubles, and they are going out and buying new ones. But they are buying Toyotas and Hondas, not Fords and Chevys.

·
Badassness
2005 Tacoma
511 Posts
It sucks for the 30,000 people who are going to lose their jobs. IMO Ford trucks arent that bad at all. My dads '88 Ranger made it up to 130k before he sold it, I cant count the number of times its gone up and down the west coast, plus all the hunting trips he took it on. Also the '89 F-350 Crewcab Dually my mom and dad had, made it to 150k before the engine had to be rebuilt, went another 10-15k before it was sold. The "Big Truck" as we called it, went up and down the west coast multiple times aswell, pulling our 32' trailer all the way. Loaded with 3 kids in the back seat, 2 dogs and a bunch of ice chests in the bed. Like Tigranes said, if Ford would have had a midsize truck, that Sportrac thing sure as hell doesnt count, I most likely would have chosen between it and the Tacoma. My dad now drives a '97 F-150 with 40k miles, and my mom an '98 Expedition with 75k, both are very nice trucks. The only thing to go wrong on either was a loose cable on the Expedition.

Anyway, I'm glad Toyota is doing well, but it sucks the Ford has to cut so many jobs. Especially American jobs, which will hurt the economy, too bad Toyota doesnt have another plant in the US, help compensate for the Ford job cuts.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ford and GM failing is not a good thing for anyone.

1) For the people out of work, many of whom will never get a good paying job with benefits again. With this many people out of work there will be a big impact on many others not directly loosing their jobs.

2) For people who buy Toyotas. Competion is a very important thing in this world. Do you think with out competition Toyota will build us better trucks and charge us less?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah, I don't get this "Glad American companies are folding" attitude. If it was your job or your town these plants were in it wouldn't be so great.

And why hate American technology? Sure, it's still behind the Japanese but it's closed the gap. I've had nothing but good luck with my Ford products. And the paint stayed on them increasing my satisfaction and enjoyment because I could keep a nice looking truck nice looking.

·
french fried taters
546 Posts
The best thing for all of us would be for GM, Ford, and Dodge to be doing great. Without competition the automakers wont be pushed to make better vehicles. The last thing you want is for Toyota or any automaker to get a monopoly, I guarantee you quality would go down without stiff competition.

·
french fried taters
546 Posts
And on top of that who wants to see Americans losing their jobs. Its the "big 3's" own fault though they need to pay better attention to what the consumers want.

·
Registered
223 Posts
stevenh563 said:
And on top of that who wants to see Americans losing their jobs. Its the "big 3's" own fault though they need to pay better attention to what the consumers want.
Believe me, Detroit received the message. GM, Ford and Daimler/Chrysler are producing a number of vehicles, several of which are already on the road (HHR, Fusion, Chrysler 300), others, shown in recent car shows(Charger, Camaro). While I drive a Tacoma and my wife a Camry SE, I sense the pain of a struggling industry. Our buying Toyota was not a reaction to the qualilty of American Automobiles, but desire for styling and comfort and to suit our needs, which the Camey and Tacoma are doing. Quality of American cars improved a hundred fold of the last 20 years, mainly because of competition.

I bought an 05 Tacoma because when I looked at several full-size trucks and all midsized trucks, I wanted a mid-sized for a variety of reasons. When comparing mid-sized trucks, modern engineering, styling, and looks were among several deciding factors. The way I take care of a vehicle, I suspect I could get the same milage out of any of the mid-sized trucks.

·
Chuck Norris rules
2006 Tacoma
344 Posts
Matt612 said:
Yeah, I don't get this "Glad American companies are folding" attitude. If it was your job or your town these plants were in it wouldn't be so great.

And why hate American technology? Sure, it's still behind the Japanese but it's closed the gap. I've had nothing but good luck with my Ford products. And the paint stayed on them increasing my satisfaction and enjoyment because I could keep a nice looking truck nice looking.
I totally agree...no ford problems here either.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
As a whole Ford(and GM) sailed the SUV/truck craze too long. SUV/trucks make more profit than a car. And Ford put 98% of their eggs in one basket. 3 bucks a gallon, basket fell apart.
Toyota has a wider selection of vehicles with the latest technology, hp w/ mpg, and reliablity. Hybrids, trucks, and cars, so if the Sequioa isnt selling they have other vehicles that will make up for it. They continually come up w/ new products that aren't copies, but leaders in their market.

Adjust and anticipate the market or die, that is the free market American way isnt it?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I've owned two Fords and had drive train problems with both. The trade in value of my '95 Thunderbird V8 coupe is $1000.00 too. I'll be going with a better product (Toyota) this time around. :)

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
I suppose I should compare the volume cars:

Toyota = Camry, reliable car, good value. Look at its ratings. My mom has a 98' w/ 190K heater motor is all she's had worked on.

Ford = Taurus, junk, not even on same page. I rented an 05' 2 months back, motor would sputter on highway (like drop to 40 before it would pick up again) & left rear wheel bearing shot, 4K mine you. My buddy has an 04 w/ 60K. Tranny is shot, motor sputters, quits sometimes. 22mpg mostly highway for a 3.0 V6? my truck almost does that...

My previous truck a 99' 4x4 Ranger was a nitemare, 4wd system fell apart at 60K. 5 trips to dealer, it spend the summer of 04 there. $1300 later still not completely right.
Fed up, got a Tacoma.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
IMO, they (big 3) have done this to themselves. They've been selling crap for twice the cost for too long. And, speaking of those loosing their jobs, how much effect has the auto workers union had to do with that? They've labor cost gouged themselves right out of a job, that's how much.

How much loyalty did the big 3 show to the people of this country when they moved most of their operations to Mexico?

I feel nothing for them. Reap and sow and all that...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.