Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fortin EVO One remote start (It works with your H key!!)

Have been looking into purchasing for my daughters 14 S. Has anyone had any real world experience with this system? A search didn't turn up any info.

From what I understand reading thru the instructions, this system allows you to use your H key to do the remote start by pressing the lock button 3 times. Seems simple enough but I'm skeptical it actually is.

Jump down to post #12 for update

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK I bit the bullet and placed an order for the EVO-One with the Toyota specific T harness and the USB updater. Will post up results once it comes in and is installed. **crossed fingers** hope this works as advertised.

·
Christianjrab
2016 Corolla S.E.
460 Posts
OK I bit the bullet and placed an order for the EVO-One with the Toyota specific T harness and the USB updater. Will post up results once it comes in and is installed. **crossed fingers** hope this works as advertised.
Dude how much was it and PLEASE keep me posted here, ive been struggling to find one myself for weeks and cant seem to find anything truly compatible or that can work with the Smart Key. I really dont want to carry two fobs. Keep us updated!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything came to just a bit over $200. I'm still skeptical but I contacted the seller before ordering and he confirms this is totally stand-alone and is designed to work with the factory H key. The 3 push lock button is the trigger for remote start or shutdown. Hopefully I can get this installed in her car and tested and confirmed before the weather goes really cold around here.

I'll try to document in as much detail as I can the entire process. Forewarning...once I get rolling on a project I sometimes forget to stop and take notes but I'll try.

Here's a link to where I found the initial information on the unit: http://fortin.ca/en/vehicles/toyota/corolla/2014-h-key/

·
Christianjrab
2016 Corolla S.E.
460 Posts
That would be great, thanks! Its the EVO One that you got for $199? How bad was shipping cost from Canada? :|

Im really curious how it will work out. If its successful for you i may snag one myself. Dont worry too much about taking notes (not for me anyhow!) I wouldn't be doing it myself, i would have my dealership put it in!

·
Christianjrab
2016 Corolla S.E.
460 Posts
Oh and the triple click lock button really is that simple, ive had one like that before on my dad's corolla. If the install of the hardware kit goes as planned, it should work great. Only negative to using your H key or smart key is that the range is somewhat limited to 1500 feet or under. You can get extra distance however by holding a fob under your jaw, true fact, the massive amounts of fluid in your brain amplify the waves and extend the frequency further. Its very effective, ive tested it myself after hearing it on a science video, and it really works!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered from a US vendor in Florida on Ebay under seller name martinhod who owns Leesco Electronics. He has the system including the T connector on sale there, I did however order the USB updater V2 off Amazon. Both items are shipped so I should be attempting install in the coming weeks.

·
Toyota Fanatic
1,102 Posts
The T harness is changing the game, makes install unbelievably easy.

But I'd recommend using the USB updater on a Windows computer. I've noticed most bypass software do not play nice with Mac and I know DEI's DBALL2 does not even have support for Mac uploads.

·
Christianjrab
2016 Corolla S.E.
460 Posts
The T harness is changing the game, makes install unbelievably easy.

But I'd recommend using the USB updater on a Windows computer. I've noticed most bypass software do not play nice with Mac and I know DEI's DBALL2 does not even have support for Mac uploads.
Have you ran DBALL in WINE? A bottle should run any windows .exe in mac without issues unless its using some sort of framework such as .net or android adb etc.

·
Toyota Fanatic
1,102 Posts
Have you ran DBALL in WINE? A bottle should run any windows .exe in mac without issues unless its using some sort of framework such as .net or android adb etc.
Not DBALL but DEI's XKLoader module to program my DBALL2. Ran smooth on my XP machine I use for techstream but flopped during the programming sequence using mac. DEI would not help me with mac support as 1. they don't support mac and 2. im not an authorized dealer (weekend hobby). Maybe it's just me, I'm not computer savvy more wire savvy.

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Corolla
117 Posts
I ordered from a US vendor in Florida on Ebay under seller name martinhod who owns Leesco Electronics. He has the system including the T connector on sale there, I did however order the USB updater V2 off Amazon. Both items are shipped so I should be attempting install in the coming weeks.
Eagerly awaiting your review now btw. This is exactly what I want! I hope it works well for you and I both!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Both the USB updater and the Evo-One arrived late Saturday afternoon this past weekend. I started install process by going to the Fortin website and downloading the Updater software, then plugging the USB updater into PC and making sure it had the latest flash (it didn't). Than plugged in the Evo to the Updater and made sure it had the latest firmware...it didn't either. Make sure you're in 'remote starter mode' I think I hit the toggle button while feeling out the interface (bypass mode or remote start mode is displayed in the lower right hand corner of the interface screen). The interface is kinda clunky and at times I wasn't sure what it was doing but managed to get both units up to speed and the Evo ready for install.

On to actual install. Removing the dash parts from the Corolla was not terrible but coming from a Subaru background it was new to me. 1st thing 1st, remove terminal from battery before messing about. For anyone attempting this here's a hint, there are 2 hidden screws holding the plastic collar around the steering column that you need to run the steering wheel about 20° to the left and right to be able to access and remove. I removed the 4 10mm bolts holding the knee airbag, there is a hidden screw you need to remove the most left panel to access and let the AB swing over in front of the gas pedal and rest there. It helps to make routing the T harness from the ignition switch much easier with the AB out of the way. Hint #2; with the left most panel out of the way you can pop the OBD plug out of its home to access the wires behind it easier.

Following the basic instructions will get you there. Do not bother using Posi-Loc connectors, some of the wiring you are tapping into is solid core and the Posi's aren't great for that. Have connectors capable to 22awg-24awg (I think) on hand...the car wiring is very small. Reluctantly I ended up using insulation displacement connectors but they did the job OK. I did not add the hood pin 'safety' because when I service a car I don't leave the keys laying around for anyone to pick up. The only thing that rubs me the wrong way was that you need to tap into 1 of the wires in the T harness with another wire from the Evo, you'd think this could have been done internally. It erk'd me to have to cut into the harness I paid extra for to simply things.

Once all wiring connections are made and you've hooked the battery back up you hold the reset button on the Evo (at this point none of the plugs are connected to it), plug in the main 12V source harness, release the bottom and go about the programming as spelled out in the instructions. DO NOT use the valet key for this...use the regular black H key and all will go fine. After programming test before reassembly.

It works great! After locking via your OEM H key (not a separate fob), 3 presses of the lock button and the remote start sequence begins. Once running, simply hit unlock, enter the car, place key in the ignition and turn it to the 'run' position (not the 'start' position unless you like hearing your starter make terrible noises) and drive away as normal.

I'll try to answer any questions I can but I'm by no means a professional installer (actually this is my first remote start install ever).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you tested the range?
I assume it's the same range as the key had previously, no extra antennae is included.

I guess I should mention once the car is running the parking lights are lit to confirm it is running. They shut off once the key is placed in the ignition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well you convinced me 😅 I ordered the evo one with the t harness and the usb updater all from amazon for $220. Hopefully the install goes smoothly.

·
Christianjrab
2016 Corolla S.E.
460 Posts
Do you know how this would work with the push button starts?

I heard somewhere that if you did the 3 press lock to start, once you go out and touch the handle to open the door it shuts off as a safety measure, and you have to restart. In the cold where I live, cold starts are one of the biggest wear issues on cars, so I'm leery of having to start it four times a day instead of 2! lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looking at Fortin's website they have another system called Evo-All that claims it's for the "push to start" system and supports the 3 push remote start BUT everything I looked at there still shuts the car down upon opening the door according to the install instruction under function. Sorry.

What you described as the shut down feature is exactly why I didn't go with the OEM system. Seems dumb as hell to have a remote start that shuts itself off when you get into the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just had remote start installed on my push to start. Wanted to keep it cheap and not have another fob, So I went with the 3x oem fob start.

So far the auto shut off when I open a door isn't bothering me. It's still better then getting in, starting it, then having to use the physical key to lock and unlock it so it doesn't get stolen while warming up.

And it's not really 4 cold starts, is it? 2nd and 4th are technically warm starts. :)

·
Christianjrab
2016 Corolla S.E.
460 Posts
I just had remote start installed on my push to start. Wanted to keep it cheap and not have another fob, So I went with the 3x oem fob start.

So far the auto shut off when I open a door isn't bothering me. It's still better then getting in, starting it, then having to use the physical key to lock and unlock it so it doesn't get stolen while warming up.

And it's not really 4 cold starts, is it? 2nd and 4th are technically warm starts. :)
Thats true, the second and fourth are theoretically warm starts... But still, I have a OCD type issue with wearing out my possessions, so the thought of starting it two more times than necessary is kind of sad. Especially when I can just walkout and start it and walk back out five minutes later and drive away - Got to stop being so lazy!

This morning I got in uniform, then first put water in the kettle for tea, went out and started the car, came back in and organized lunch for work and brushed my teeth etc, then the kettle was whistling so I made up my tea in my thermos for work, and then out the door to a warm defrosted car. If I can get that routine down, I can save myself a few hundred bucks and probably burn a few more calories a day while I'm at it, haha.

We have about 6" of snow and ice here in upstate NY, its fantastic.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thats true, the second and fourth are theoretically warm starts... But still, I have a OCD type issue with wearing out my possessions, so the thought of starting it two more times than necessary is kind of sad. Especially when I can just walkout and start it and walk back out five minutes later and drive away - Got to stop being so lazy!

This morning I got in uniform, then first put water in the kettle for tea, went out and started the car, came back in and organized lunch for work and brushed my teeth etc, then the kettle was whistling so I made up my tea in my thermos for work, and then out the door to a warm defrosted car. If I can get that routine down, I can save myself a few hundred bucks and probably burn a few more calories a day while I'm at it, haha.

We have about 6" of snow and ice here in upstate NY, its fantastic.
I live in an apartment complex, so there is no way I am going to leave my car unlocked when I leave it to warm up, and the only option being to use the key from the fob to lock it and unlock it, is dumb. I can't imagine that key lasting for a long time with constant use.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts