Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Christianjrab
2016 Corolla S.E.
460 Posts
I live in an apartment complex, so there is no way I am going to leave my car unlocked when I leave it to warm up, and the only option being to use the key from the fob to lock it and unlock it, is dumb. I can't imagine that key lasting for a long time with constant use.
Ah your circumstance is tricky. Good thing to have the remote start then. I live in the country, and even my work place is quiet, and I can see my car from the window. Plus, with the smart key system, our cars can't be stolen, if the fob isn't present, the car will freak out when you walk away for a few seconds and then calm down. If someone gets in it while its running without the fob on their person, it will not let you switch gears. So no worries about theft, but I suppose some humbug could sit in it for a minute till you get there xD haha

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ah your circumstance is tricky. Good thing to have the remote start then. I live in the country, and even my work place is quiet, and I can see my car from the window. Plus, with the smart key system, our cars can't be stolen, if the fob isn't present, the car will freak out when you walk away for a few seconds and then calm down. If someone gets in it while its running without the fob on their person, it will not let you switch gears. So no worries about theft, but I suppose some humbug could sit in it for a minute till you get there xD haha

Is that how it works? When looking into it, all the info I could find said you could actually drive the car without the fob present, if it was already started. Of course now I can't find where I read that info.

·
Christianjrab
2016 Corolla S.E.
460 Posts
Is that how it works? When looking into it, all the info I could find said you could actually drive the car without the fob present, if it was already started. Of course now I can't find where I read that info.
No, I dont believe you can drive without the fob. If its in gear already and the fob is taken away it will let you drive but it freaks out the whole time with beeps and alerts to shift to park.

I haven't seen any cases where someone successfully removed it from park and into drive and took off without the fob present to get the gearbox to move!

As far as a manual, I have no idea because theres two issues there - you shouldn't be remote starting a manual, and secondly I dont know how they could disable the gearbox with a smart key but I know that its possible - I've seen it done on GM vehicles. Dont know how or if Toyota does it though.

·
Toyota Fanatic
1,102 Posts
No you can't drive without the fob. If its in gear already and the fob is taken away it will let you drive but it freaks out the whole time with beeps and alerts to shift to park.

I haven't seen any cases where someone successfully removed it from park and into drive and took off without the fob present to get the gearbox to move!

As far as a manual, I have no idea because theres two issues there - you shouldn't be remote starting a manual, and secondly I dont know how they could disable the gearbox with a smart key but I know that its possible - I've seen it done on GM vehicles. Dont know how or if Toyota does it though.
Not sure on a corolla but you can drive without the fob once started with the fob. This is theoretically how you could take a RS started smart key car IF the RS modules did not have their precautions built in. I did this (driving with no key) on a family's 2014 Highlander on accident. It does show the "no key" warning but the car is yours until your shut it down.

Also, you can remote start a manual car. There are safety measures you must take in order for it start and more wires to run but is it possible as I've installed a RS on a manual car (not smart key/proximity key though...). It's very annoying but possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No you can't drive without the fob. If its in gear already and the fob is taken away it will let you drive but it freaks out the whole time with beeps and alerts to shift to park.

Ive never tried it on a push start corolla but I drive other toyotas all the time without the fobs in the cars. Im a tech at a toyota dealer and when I do new car inspections I start them up and leave the fobs in my tool box when I pull the cars out. I just cant restart them once they are off. I do this to not deal with a lot of keys since sometimes I have a lot of cars to pull out

·
Toyota Fanatic
1,102 Posts
Ive never tried it on a push start corolla but I drive other toyotas all the time without the fobs in the cars. Im a tech at a toyota dealer and when I do new car inspections I start them up and leave the fobs in my tool box when I pull the cars out. I just cant restart them once they are off. I do this to not deal with a lot of keys since sometimes I have a lot of cars to pull out
This is also the same with regular keys. If you were to somehow separate the body (and transponder chip) from the key, you only need the transponder to be present during start and then you can remove it with the key in the on position.

·
Christianjrab
2016 Corolla S.E.
460 Posts
ok the last couple posts really confused me because they are addressing an off-issue...

My statement was that if you get in your push button corolla and start it, and walk away with the fob, and return without the fob, you cannot shift to drive. Pretty sure mine and my dad's 2016 push button Camry will not allow it. I will have to check sometime when I have time and someone to do it with me to test it out. If you start the car and put it in gear, and then discard the fob, thats another story. My dad did that with my car after I installed a Borla exhaust, I held the fob close so he could start it and then he drove out of the garage and barely ten feet away it started bugging out and beeping and flashing etc. I have read that this security precaution measure even limits the speed you can move at, and that once shifted to park, if the fob is still not present, you can't shift out of park again until the fob is recognized in range.

Again I would have to test this out to be 100% sure.

And note that I did acknowledge the possible route for remote starting a manual... I had a plow truck 5spd that was remote started. Its a bad idea, too many variables, but it is possible and lots of people do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So my fortin evo one came in last week and the install was pretty easy. Works well so far. For anyone wanting a little bit more range I also purchased the 2-way long range remotes that fortin offers. Directly plugs into the evo one and the programming is simple. I tested the range and I was able to start from about a 1/2 mile away. 👌 love it

·
Christianjrab
2016 Corolla S.E.
460 Posts
Let me know how it is for a corolla, would be good to know.
Update: I still haven't been able to test the corolla's response to driving without the smart key, because of my schedule and work etc. However, I was riding with my dad and he stopped at a store and left with his fob. I reached over and pressed the brake and shifted to drive/reverse/Neutral no problem. Apparently I was wrong -

you can drive away a 2016 Toyota -camry- without the smart key. How creepy. Now I really want to know about the corolla, I can't imagine it would be different.

·
Toyota Fanatic
1,102 Posts
Update: I still haven't been able to test the corolla's response to driving without the smart key, because of my schedule and work etc. However, I was riding with my dad and he stopped at a store and left with his fob. I reached over and pressed the brake and shifted to drive/reverse/Neutral no problem. Apparently I was wrong -

you can drive away a 2016 Toyota -camry- without the smart key. How creepy. Now I really want to know about the corolla, I can't imagine it would be different.
Creepy I agree but I believe it's to keep people from being stranded say for whatever reason you lose your key after the car is started. Logic doesn't add up but not everything about my toyota's do anyways lol

Still, give the corolla a test. There's still a slight chance it could be different. I've noticed with the 11th gen Toyota made many "big" chances not common with their trend like the LED headlights, CVT trans, and wicked interior, something not common with the way Corolla's of previous gens advanced. The camry on the other hand has typically stayed the same besides looks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fortin EVO One remote start (It works with your H key!!)

Have been looking into purchasing for my daughters 14 S. Has anyone had any real world experience with this system? A search didn't turn up any info.

From what I understand reading thru the instructions, this system allows you to use your H key to do the remote start by pressing the lock button 3 times. Seems simple enough but I'm skeptical it actually is.

Jump down to post #12 for update
yes your right its three presses on the lock button , the only problem is the distance your factory fob reached is the same distance you'll be able to start your car , so its not really that far on a distance.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
175 Posts
A transponder is ONLY to verify the car can start. After it's started, a transponder is not needed to drive. Seems wonky but it's to prevent people for picking the lock and driving away stealing your car. The days of hot wiring a car are long gone except certain circumstances that I won't reveal :p But it's possible, just not that common since A car thief would rather steal a >$60k car due to a higher profit margin.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought my Compustar Plug and play remote start for my 2017 SE (H-key) for $249.00 shipped from EBay. Took 25 minutes to install. Super easy and works awesome.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
175 Posts
I bought my Compustar Plug and play remote start for my 2017 SE (H-key) for $249.00 shipped from EBay. Took 25 minutes to install. Super easy and works awesome.
And can you use the OEM fob to remote start with 3 clicks of the lock button? Says it can do that

21 - 37 of 37 Posts