Toyota Nation Forum banner

Found a $350 camry, but not sure if i can fix it

5K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  Figit090 
#1 ·
There's this toyota camry for sale near me that is only $350 its a 1988 V6 5spd.

apparently the only thing wrong with the seemingly nice looking car is the transmisison, its a 5 speed, and started "making a loud noise" which happens in every gear. the seller thinks it might be an easy fix but might just me eaiser replacing the whole tranny. he isnt a mechanic though. A mechanic did in fact check it out but only went far enough to know the tranny is the problem.

worst case scenario, how hard could that be to fix? i'm assuming worst-case is a complete tranny swap for a working one.

is it relatively easy? i dont know enough about front wheel drive trannys. if they are pretty much all trans-axels and the camry tranny is one as well...

i was wondering if somebody could tell me whats involved. i've done some mechanics (BHG repair on my supra) but no tranny work. since i have no experiance in this area and seeing how every car has its own quirks about repair procedures, i was hoping someone that has done work on this specific car and drivetrain could give a thumbs up or down on this one.

I dont have much free time to spend on cars and i cant have a project car...but the rest of the car is fine and if this is eaisly fixable i think i could get it and make some money/keep it. i need it.

See less See more
#4 ·
The V6 5speed tranny is impossible to find at a junkyard, they are very rare.
Also Ive heard that it's difficult to find a clutch, let alone a rebuild kit for one. There are guys on the forum who have better knowledge on this subject, Im sure they can add more to this.
My suggestion would bo to go to a transmission shop and ask them if they can do the job for you, and see what they say. The shop will look up to see if a rebuild kit is available.

#6 · (Edited)
yeah, the big problem is i'll be in college next year. it might sit until summer. i'd probably have time then... i dunno. its iffy. maybe i should call the mechanic that looked at it and see what he thinks.

The owner tells me that he drove the car to portland a back, thats around 800 miles. then the car started acting up last saturday.

----EDIT----

i'm not sure for SURE if its the right tranny, but his ad said that he found a tranny with 50k miles on it for $75 plus around $80 for shipping. so assuming its the right tranny....

#7 ·
You can use later V6 Camry 5-speed transmissions if you can find the gen2 V6 transmission - it should be a direct swap (I'm about 95% sure on that). You should be able to pick up a clutch without too much trouble either - though it will be expensive.

If the transmission truly is the problem, a transmission swap is not horrible, but harder than a RWD style transmission.

It sounds like you found a $1000-1500 Camry. ;)

-Charlie

#8 ·
Well, I'm not sure I can afford that much. I was hoping i could purchase it and get away with a running car for under 700.

theres one place where the previous owner found a tranny out of a 1990 that i guess fits, i checked it out and when i enter the year, engine, and tranny selection it comes up...so it should fit... but its got around 50k miles on it. its cheap for only about 150 shipped. so the car and a used but replacement tranny would be about 500 dollars, give or take. i'm not sure what is involved in this though, and I KNOW i'd run into other expenses... seals? clutch? I really hate finding good deals like this that are risky. its so hard to figure out if its worth it. i could fix the car and have it or sell it...or have more time for applying for scholarships...and homework. blah!!

here are the pics of the car... it looks pretty clean. no body damage besides sone dings. technically, the car has a MP3 CD head unit in there that is worth half of what the guy is asking. I cant get the car unless i know i can do something with it, thats the only way my dad would even consider it. he already told me no, but niether of us have worked on camrys and i cant just let it go without looking more into it.

I'm not sure if all FWD cars are this way, but is the tranny a transaxle? like i said i did a BHG repair once...how does it compare? maybe thats a silly comparison.

could you briefly explain whats involved in replacing the tranny? or rebuilding one? or both....

if i had an idea of whats involved...and what has to be replaced along with tranny repairs, such as seals... i could decide.

#9 · (Edited)
It sounds like you could, in a worst case scenario, break even. Why not take the car, have a trans guy you trust give you an estimate after a test drive, and maybe do the r&r work yourself to save a couple of bucks?

I had a 1968 BMW model "2002" in 1972, and one day the car just stopped putting power to the wheels through the 4 speed manual trans. I had it towed it to the local German car guy, and for less than $100 (remember, it was 1972) he replaced a broken clip (a $0.68 part) that completely restored the oeration of the trans.

I'd take it.

#10 ·
thanks for the posts. this will help.

I'm going to ask my dad again later probably...

the car has a MP3 capable cd player, which he says is worth half the asking price of the car. so i'd finally have tunes in my supra!!

any further pros/cons to this idea are still appriciated immensely...for if i got it i might end up letting it sit in the yard until next summer....6 months. maybe if there was another vacation i could fix it then...

i dunno. thats the main issue....time!

#13 ·
Oh, I do not think you will ever find a Gen 2 V6 Manual tranny.........this is all I can find in Cali right now, like, nothing, right? Get the damn car!

Transmission
Toyota Camry 6 CYL- 5SPD MT 4J-22 $750 3M Auto Dismantling USA-CA(San-Jose) E-mail 1-408-998-8661
Transmission
Toyota Camry M.T., 6 Cyl--GOOD 59550 $700 Greer Auto Wreckers USA-CA(San-Jose) E-mail 1-800-989-7278
Transmission
Lexus 250 ES MANUAL TRANS 194,814 0E0140 $650 ABC Auto Parts Inc. USA-CA(San-Francisco) Request_Quote 1-415-826-8676 Request_Insurance_Quote
Transmission
Toyota Camry 6-2.5L--U 99,000 A F076 $550 A-1 Auto Dismantling - Oceanside - RPN USA-CA(Oceanside) Request_Quote 1-760-757-1400 Request_Insurance_Quote
Transmission
Toyota Camry 2.5,6M5,MFICAL,FWD 25,000 A 4K0806 $536.41 Viking Truck and Auto USA-CA(Redding) Request_Quote 1-800-338-7474 Request_Insurance_Quote
*NEW*Live Chat
Transmission
Toyota Camry 19267 $500 Trolley Auto Parts USA-CA(San-Diego) Request_Quote 1-619-234-4141 Request_Insurance_Quote
Transmission
Lexus 250 ES M.T- 5SPD 141,000 A A3700 $350 A1 Auto Wreckers USA-CA(San-Jose) Request_Quote Truck# 1-800-825-0064, Car# 1-800-997-3254 Request_Insurance_Quote
Transmission
Lexus 250 ES M.T- 5SPD. A252 $350 Bells Auto Parts USA-CA(Sun-Valley) Request_Quote 1-818-983-1135 Request_Insurance_Quote
Transmission
Toyota Camry M.T., 6 Cyl- M61605 $350 Midnight Auto Recyclers USA-CA(San-Bernardino) Request_Quote 1-800-872-5211 Request_Insurance_Quote
*NEW*Live Chat
Transmission
Toyota Camry M.T., 6 Cyl- YARD $350 Steelhead Recyclers USA-CA(Goleta) Request_Quote 1-805-683-8557 Request_Insurance_Quote
*NEW*Live Chat
Transmission
Toyota Camry V6,5 SPEED MT 6F0073 $350 Dorris Auto Wreckers, Inc. USA-CA(Hayward) E-mail 1-510-782-4393/1-510-782-4394
Transmission
Toyota Camry V6,5 SPEED MT 5F0069 $350 Dorris Auto Wreckers, Inc. USA-CA(Hayward) E-mail 1-510-782-4393/1-510-782-4394
Transmission
Toyota Camry -5SP,V6,12/88,M.T., 6 CYL--U 207,000 C 060458 $350 Tri County Auto Dismantlers USA-CA(Santa-Paula) Request_Quote 1-877-667-2787 Request_Insurance_Quote
*NEW*Live Chat
Transmission
Lexus 250 ES M.T- 78802,A-30 1170 $350 Japanese Auto Dismantlers USA-CA(Los-Angeles) Request_Quote 1-888-589-3219 Request_Insurance_Quote
*NEW*Live Chat
Transmission
Lexus 250 ES M.T--U 004023 $300 Coast Auto Supplies and Dismantling, Inc. USA-CA(Watsonville) Request_Quote 1-800-852-8802 Request_Insurance_Quote
*NEW*Live Chat
Transmission
Toyota Camry M.T., 6 Cyl- 5SPD-U 990305 $300 Coast Auto Supplies and Dismantling, Inc. USA-CA(Watsonville) Request_Quote 1-800-852-8802 Request_Insurance_Quote
*NEW*Live Chat
Transmission
Toyota Camry M.T., 6 Cyl- F3321 $300 Express Auto Dismantling USA-CA(Fontana) E-mail 1-909-356-5050

Transmission
'88 6 cyl 0398 $300 Kar King Auto Dismantlers USA-CA(Onterio) E-mail 1-800-843-8349

Transmission
'89-91 6 cyl 0398 $300 Kar King Auto Dismantlers USA-CA(Onterio) E-mail 1-800-843-8349
Transmission
Toyota Camry 5 speed manual 002357040 $300 Ace Auto Dismantlers USA-CA(Modesto) E-mail 1-209-537-4722
Transmission
Lexus 250 ES M.T- 118,000 A 04007 $275 Fresno TAP Recycling USA-CA(Fresno) E-mail 1-559-268-7100
Transmission
Toyota Camry J258 $Call San Luis Auto Salvage USA-CA(San-Luis Obispo) E-mail 1-800-222-9509
Transmission
Toyota Camry 5SP,2.5L,4-89,FWD RR0053 $Call Pacific Auto Salvage, Inc. USA-CA(American-Canyon) Request_Quote Local Calls only or Email sales Request_Insurance_Quote
*NEW*Live Chat
Transmission
Toyota Camry 5204 $Call Standard Auto Recycling USA-CA(Chula-Vista) Request_Quote 1-619-426-1166 Request_Insurance_Quote
Transmission
Lexus 250 ES RWD,V6,F5,FLR 9503 $Call Jamies Auto Dismantling USA-CA(Fresno) E-mail 1-559-233-4674
Transmission
Toyota Camry 2 89,FWD,2.5,5 SPD,FLR 94,000 A 6370 $Call Elite Auto Parts Company USA-CA(Sun-Valley) E-mail 1-818-767-0445
Transmission
Lexus 250 ES M.T- NOF $Call All Toyo Lex Auto Recycling USA-CA(Chula-Vista) Request_Quote 1-877-778-6968 Request_Insurance_Quote
*NEW*Live Chat
Transmission
Toyota Camry LT783 $Call K & P Auto Dismantlers USA-CA(Fontana) Request_Quote 1-800-909-6898 Request_Insurance_Quote

#16 ·
holy shit. i hope there's a mainsite for searching all those wrecking yards.... either that or you are obsessively dedicated. lol...thanks man.

--edit: oh, i see. lol

well i know i could get a tranny now... but, i still dont know what is involved with changing one like this... and i dont even know what else i'd end up buying like seal kits or anything of the like...

#17 ·
Would most like not cost more then JUST the tranny itself. Just stuff like new fluids. Other then that, not much. Are you sure it is the actual PHYSICAL tranny that's going bad? Not just something like the tranny mount?

#18 · (Edited)
ASG14 said:
Would most like not cost more then JUST the tranny itself. Just stuff like new fluids. Other then that, not much. Are you sure it is the actual PHYSICAL tranny that's going bad? Not just something like the tranny mount?
well thats the thing, i dont know enough about transmissions to know if it was bad, even if i had it in front of me, unless its obvious. But could a bad tranny mount make a noise?

basically, this guy cant deal with repairing it right now, and the mechanic told him that it was the tranny, that's as far as the investigative diagnosis went. He said, and i quote; "It has started making a lot of noise. It needs to be replaced or repaired." he also said he is not a mechanic, and i know of the shop he took it to so i guess i could call them.

Do you think you could help more if i asked him what kind of noise the tranny makes? he never said that the tranny is shot, so far he just said the above; it makes a lot of noise....

so as far as i know, the tranny still works. i'll ask him what kind of noise it makes. is there anything else i should ask him? the car has 190k miles on it for further reference.

#19 ·
Honestly, I do not know much at all on Manuals. I helped a friend change one on a Civic once, and thats it. Will also be helping a friend do an Auto to Manual swap next week, haha. No idea wtf to do, so will be fun. :) Have any friends there that will check it out with you?

#20 ·
ASG14 said:
Honestly, I do not know much at all on Manuals. I helped a friend change one on a Civic once, and thats it. Will also be helping a friend do an Auto to Manual swap next week, haha. No idea wtf to do, so will be fun. :) Have any friends there that will check it out with you?
maybe. i dont know if my dad will even let me check it out. he doesnt think i have time. we'll see i guess. im doubtful though.

#22 ·
yeah, i just would have to wait until the next vacation with a car and possibly a transmission, sitting around. it might even go until the summer. but i could fix it and sell it or keep it, and then in the meantime, i'd take out the CD player and use it in my supra, so in effect i'd have only paid around 150-200 dollars for a car... hmm. maybe that will help me. it does have some new parts that i've heard go bad, so having the CV's or front tires wear out wouldnt be an issue. and if they're really new they should be easy to slide out of the transaxle.

it is a transaxle, right??? i looked at a picture of a camry tranny and couldnt see where anyone could possibly stick an axle. i was expecting to see a rather large hole or stub to attach the CV joint... something....

heres one fron a 1990 i think...

#23 ·
IMHO, it would be an exellent investment to pick it up for that price! Even if you don't have the time or resources to fix it immediately, you will find time if you actually have it sitting in your yard. Looks very clean, and the price is right.

Also with a noise like that, I wonder if they're sure it's not just a CV joint or something external to the tranny? And I wouldn't assume that you need to replace the entire tranny. If you have the time, pull it out and look at what's actually causing the problem. It may be a cheap part that's relatively easy to replace, or not. What's there to lose?

BTW: go to the Camry "general discussion" section and you can download PDF repair manuals. Get the manual for the manual. ;)

I've been thinking about doing a 5-speed swap on my automatic car and from what I've heard it's not that difficult. You're talking about a straight-up swap, which would be easier yet.

Go buy the car and report back here! :D

#24 · (Edited)
HomeGrown said:
IMHO, it would be an exellent investment to pick it up for that price! Even if you don't have the time or resources to fix it immediately, you will find time if you actually have it sitting in your yard. Looks very clean, and the price is right.

Also with a noise like that, I wonder if they're sure it's not just a CV joint or something external to the tranny? And I wouldn't assume that you need to replace the entire tranny. If you have the time, pull it out and look at what's actually causing the problem. It may be a cheap part that's relatively easy to replace, or not. What's there to lose?

BTW: go to the Camry "general discussion" section and you can download PDF repair manuals. Get the manual for the manual. ;)

I've been thinking about doing a 5-speed swap on my automatic car and from what I've heard it's not that difficult. You're talking about a straight-up swap, which would be easier yet.

Go buy the car and report back here! :D
thanks for the info. and the listing says that it has new front axles, my guess is that means new CV shafts....?

The shop he took it to diagnosed it to be the tranny, but not what is wrong, simply that its coming from the tranny i guess. Is it hard to REBUILD a tranny? i dont know the first thing about them..... but i'm good with figuring things out. thanks for the heads up on the manual, i love the internet.

----EDIT---- he told me they went as far as to diagnose that the problem was IN the transmission, thats it.

and i'm not sure if you thought that but, BTW, its already a 5spd, so i'd be replacing, not really swapping, but its not like thats much different. just thought i'd mention that.

----/edit---

Here is the ad minus the pics so you can see some details about parts:
1988 Toyota Camery

Power Windows, Working AC blows cold, MP3 CD Player, cruse crotrol.

Engin runs great and just passed smog a few months ago. It is a 4 cam V6 with 4 valves per cylinder.

The car has a brand new radiator, new front wheel bearings, new front axles, new ERG valve, one new fuel injector and good tires.

Now for the rub: The car has a 5 speed manual. It has started making a lot of noise. It needs to be replaced or repaired. I did find a good used transmission with 53,000 miles on it, for $75

#25 ·
Replacing the transmission wouldn't be too difficult - as long as you have all the right tools. You will also want a new clutch and possibly axle seals and input shaft seal.

If you haven't don't a repair like this on any other car, you'd have trouble. If you have done a remove/replace on a transmission on another car, you can do it.

Rebulding a transmission is a pain and takes a few very specialized tools. Don't attempt it yourself...

As I said before, you should be able to use a V6 manual transmission from any gen Camry (87-91, 92-95, 97-99 had them)

-Charlie

#26 ·
all those years use the same tranny? thats interesting.

well, i havent done a transmission before but i've fixed a blown headgasket on my own with pointers and a repair manual. first time under the hood of a car like that, and its got aver 1000 miles on it, so i think i did it right. do you think i have enough experiance to try this for the first time?

now, on another note, my dad has done transmission repairs as well, he swapped out a tranny, twice, and i think without a tranny lift (blocks and jacks....) the new tranny he put in was a dud so he had to do it twice! that was a while ago on a RWD truck BTW. so i think he could help, but i dont know if he knows anything about FWD's.

Can you give me a ballpark figure for how much the seals would cost, and how much a clutch would be, seperately? i kinda doubt i'd replace the clutch. i figure by then it might not quite be worth it, or i couldnt bring myself to buy one. but i dont know how much they cost.

thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.