Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Slightly Sane
06 TRD Sport Ex. Cab
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found another great place to buy D-rings/tiedowns for our beds: Tractor Supply Company stores. I stopped in there yesterday and they at least 15 different types to choose from......it took me a good 10 minutes just to decide which ones I wanted.

2 1200lb. Anchor rings w/ mounting place- $1.29 each from Tractor Supply
4 hex bolts- $.09 each from HomeDepot
4 hex nuts- $.04 each from HomeDepot
4 lock washers- $.06 each from HomeDepot
2 pack of 3" mending plates (for added stability/weight distribution)- $2.89

Total cost (for everything needed to install 2 sets of rings): $6.23 :clap:

That beats the hell out of the $25.00 that my local dealer wanted to charge me for a pair of D-rings!!

All the parts:

Holes drilled:

Installed:

Under the bed view:

·
X-Cowboy
06 Tacoma DBL 4x4
41 Posts
Great find

When you think about it. Tractor Supply Companys havint D-rings makes sense:clap:

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
why not just get the right ones for 20$ :lol: its not like the Oem ones are 50$

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Nice! You might want to put a bigger plate in the back to spread out the stress on the composite bed?
Have you had a chance to test them out yet?

·
Slightly Sane
06 TRD Sport Ex. Cab
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lotust said:
It's not like there are any "right" ones or "wrong" ones. I am more worried about functionality than having all OEM parts on my truck, especially when I see something that is marked up at least 4 times of what the materials are worth. I just felt like the ones that Toyota were selling where WAY overpriced for what that were and that I could find some that where just as good (if not better) for less. I don't care if it saves me $20 or $200, that's money that I can put to good use somewhere else.....and it's not like the dealer was going to install them for me (they don't even keep them in stock), either way I was just picking up parts.

·
Slightly Sane
06 TRD Sport Ex. Cab
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
toku58 said:
Nice! You might want to put a bigger plate in the back to spread out the stress on the composite bed?
Have you had a chance to test them out yet?
I think the plates will be fine, I used them so the locking crush rings wouldn't dig into the composite material when I tightened everything down (and I figure they will help spread out any stress on the bed). The extra OEM ones don't even come with any type of backing plate (they also only have 1 screw). I just installed them today, but I'll give them a good test next weekend when I haul a very heavy oak dining set over to my parents house. I used some ratcheting tie downs to test their strength today and everything looked good. :thumbup:

·
Mine is better than yours
'06 Dbl-Cab 4x4 Taco
1,211 Posts
2 tacomas said:
The extra OEM ones don't even come with any type of backing plate (they also only have 1 screw).
This statement is incorrect. The OEM ones come with a 3x3 or 4x4 inch backing plate that has the nut welded in the center of it.

The OEM ones also swivel so they do not put undo stress on the bed when being pulled in any direction. If you pulled the ones you have towards the back of the truck you will stress the bed.

Marc M

·
Slightly Sane
06 TRD Sport Ex. Cab
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Marc M said:
This statement is incorrect. The OEM ones come with a 3x3 or 4x4 inch backing plate that has the nut welded in the center of it.

The OEM ones also swivel so they do not put undo stress on the bed when being pulled in any direction. If you pulled the ones you have towards the back of the truck you will stress the bed.

Marc M

Hmmm.....

That's not what the guy at the Toyota Parts department told me....but then again he didn't even have a set in stock so he was probably just talking B.S. to try and make a sale. I'm still not worried about my setup......I'll test them under a decent load this weekend and if it looks like it is stressing at all I'll put a bigger plate back there. I actually could have gotten a loop that was set up exactly like Toyota's set up (one loop on a swivel) from Tractor Supply.....I just liked the idea of being able to spread the load out better over a larger space with the 2 screw set up vs. the one hole set-up and these are stainless steel (unlike my OEM ones that already have rust spots in the swivel). I think the one hole set up is fine for the rear ones that come stock because they are bolted down into the frame...but that is not an option (or at least not an easy one) for mounting loops in the front of the bed. Besides, I do not plan on stressing these (or my OEM rear ones) to the point of even slightly bowing the bed or d-ring.....I use a trailer to haul stuff that is that big/heavy.

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
Your parts guy looked up the part number for the rings that are at the rear of the bed. Those do not come with the backing plate, but they are the wrong part number for adding d-rings. The proper part is sold as an accessory and is specifically described as front bed d-rings. It is the same ring, but w/ backing plate and marking/drilling/mounting instructions.
You may not want to buy OEM parts from the dealer, but you should definitely not rely on them for finding the right part info. Search the web first, then see if they give you the right data when you ask.

I like the rings you've got, but it is true that a lateral load (toward the middle or rear of the bed) won't be as well supported. But if you only tie down in the direction going across the bed with those, it shouldn't be a major issue. (Or replace your plate w/ a round one. Then you'll be more likely to damage the screws than the bed.)

Cheers,

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
Thought about the direct onto bed frame bolt setup, but couldn't find suitable D-clips locally. Didn't want to spend 20-25 bucks and wait for OEM ones. Since not tying a motorcycle down, went with side setup similar to 2 tacomas write-up. Got the 1200 lb D clips from Tractor Supply for a buck & change each.

I went with much bigger backing plates, I cut some scrap steel into 2.5 x 4 in steel plates backed by another 4.5 x 5.5 plate. All parts were painted first, then coated in plasi-dip so the salt doesn't eat them alive and also dampens the 'D' ring if it were to rattle against the bed (which it doesn't anyway).

Cost me about $5, looks stock, and works good. Understand msibille point in previous post about lateral load, but with large double back plates no issue flexing when pulling at 45 angle.

·
Registered
'10 2WD AC SR5
621 Posts
See, this is typical of what some are saying. Here is a guy (2 tacomas) that came across something that fits his needs and you shoot him down. Hell, $30 is ten gallons of gas!

As long as he is happy with what his accomplished let it go at that. If it doesn't suit what you think is right just pass on by and read something else.

Gee, after over 3,800 posts I would think that you have read enough negative replies.

I am sure now that there'll be another coming.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I got 4 D-Rings from a trailer supply site for less than $10, and just put them under the bed bolts. Now I can pull on them in any direction and not worry about cracking the composite bed. Cheap, easy, and strong as hell. :D

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
'12 Ram 1500 HEMI
1,138 Posts
I got 4 D-Rings from a trailer supply site for less than $10, and just put them under the bed bolts. Now I can pull on them in any direction and not worry about cracking the composite bed. Cheap, easy, and strong as hell. :D
any links?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts