Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Found a 1983 Supra with 22,000 miles and a $12k sticker. What is the deal on a fair price assuming no wrecks clean interior and paint and a nice running motor.

PS I want to get out of a car that isn't depeciating too well. Should have gotten the coupe. Love my car but after 1.5 years - it's seemingly better to spend that $ on a duplex. If I buy this car it should run until 2020 the way I drive - not much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found one with 2000 miles for $25,000. I can't get that for my 2003 Infiniti sedan. I'm glad to hear that is high but what are my chances of finding one with low miles at all let alone for 2K? Maybe I should try the dealmaking forum on this site. If you know of anyone with that gen supra with under 50K let me know. I will buy it for more than blue book but less than 25k!

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
it's at a dealer huh? it has to be ask for a car fax report on it first then locate the previous owner and ask them how much the dealer gave them for the car.

maximum for that car is 3k no more and that is if it is in mint condition and since it's been driven the value goes down to 2750

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Private seller. So there is no NO collection value to these cars. There shouldn't be any issues of roadworthiness or reliablility right?

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
it's an 83 so there is no collection value yet give it a few more years. but as for reliability don't even worry about it:thumbup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
how do you know its only got 22k, does it have a million mile odometer? there are other concerns ..... an 83 with 22K ..... when is the last time and how often does it get driven ....... If its been sitting awhile then it will have problems....... 12K is a little high, sure its not 1200 .......... I have an 82 with a 5M I'll let you have for 500 ...... you haul away ....... needes alot of work but you can make it brand new again for maybe 5 grand.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good points. Due Diligence will parse all these evil factors out. Title search is #1. Also, I can tell if a car has gone 22,000 or 1,022,000 miles with the help of an expert mechanic who will do compression testing et cetera. There will be many indications and I will be confident when I purchase. A rebuilt supra is not as desirable as a mothballed one IMO. Matching numbers and looking for evidence of a rebuild or new engine shouldn't be difficult right? If the things only has 22,000 then it will not have even a scratch on any mount bolts or plenum bolts. It seems as tho 12k is high...but when considering how great a car it was back then and how much useful like it will have still remaining 6-7 k is a number I will jump on. Anyone got one...

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
^ No you haven't.... you've seen an AD for one...

I'd pay $10k for that car in that new of condition if you don't plan on driving it much. If you have some master plan like a 7mgte swap... don't do it! Haha.. take the one for $500. I thought mine was like new with 60k... thats awesome! DO IT!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just spent 30k on a dielse 4x4 ...... and spent another 10k on aftermarket parts .... I am broke ...... building my celica and now a 86 supra 1 part at a time.

I did see the car ... it belongs to ma boy ...... he is getting ready to get out of the army and wants to go to college ... he is selling his 95 supra tt

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Then "classified" must have some pretty damn good deals on cars. My grandma sold her 93.5 NA Automatic for like $14k in one day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forgive me I am not a toyota freak but I thought I heard that good twin turbo from the last gen are in the 30's. Urban supra myth I guess.

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
SixFive said:
Forgive me I am not a toyota freak but I thought I heard that good twin turbo from the last gen are in the 30's. Urban supra myth I guess.
They are...

·
Registered
84 Posts
It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to pay 12G for a 21 year old car that doesn't have a very good chance of being sought after by collectors in the future. If you are an avid Supra freak or want one for sentimental reasons (lost your virginity in one?) it still doesn't make sense to use that same 21 year old/$12 000 car as a daily driver.

I know you didn't ask for an alternative, but maybe sell the G35 and get yourself into a less expensive newer car, or if you plan to drive it until 2020, a slightly older collectible car like a used Porsche/Alpha Romeo/desirable Vette/Datsun 240Z/etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hadn't decided to pay that much as I threw it up for discussion. I would pay 6-7 k however for a low mileage mint conditioned car - you know the attic find we all dream of. I have my local dealer working the wholesale market and I will post messages. I didn't lose it in a supra but I did learn to drive a stick in one. I don't want a project car so I become a pretty needy buyer, I know.

Also I don't need it to be a collector. I just thought the pricing I am seeing on Auto trader indicates there is a big premium for mint ones. As for possible light maintenance cars other than the Supra: the early 90's 300 was a good idea but pricing is very high. Thinking a grand national may be good for holding price but what an antithesis.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I know this is an old post put I couldn't help but drop a line...

12,000 dollars for an 83 supra is f---ing ludicrous and absurd. If someone actually bought it for anywhere near that price those dealers are gonna be all straight faced and sh-- until they go to the back room and they'll be jumping up and down like those old tv commercials (oh, what a feeling). Dude, they'd send out for champagne and be telling their grandkids about it for years.

I know of this guy who answered an ad for a 1953 mercedes sports car around 1985 and went to this house where the car had been in the garage for 30 years after the owner who had originally bought it died. His wife just kept it there, and to top it off, she even covered it and used leather preserver on the upolstery every year. The car was like new, and not only was it a rare and sought after model, this one was unique in that it had a fiberglass body (non-magnetic) and was only one of seven or so that was used as a race car and then 'converted' back to a regular stock car to be sold. He offered the lady 20,000 dollars for it and before he came back the next day to finalize the transaction he researched the vin and found out that this car was worth about 175,000. he already had a cash offer for 120k by the time he towed it to his house.

I don't think that the supra would be anywhere near as valuable as the 54 gullwing or a rolls or, um. those "nightmare before christmas" toys but to each his own.

By the way I have a 93 camry 4cyl. Although it's only worth about 2-3k, I'd be happy and more than willing to sell it to your for 50,000 dollars. It's only been in two accidents though repaired. It has 150k miles or so, and paint chips and a cracked windshield. I did clean the carpetting on it though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
wow

i wish i could 12 g's for a vehicle of that vintag. props the mileage but that's where it stops. running mkIII's sell for 18 to 2,800 out here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts