Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well people of the Toyota Nation - I have final results and they're not pretty. After I went to the shop on Friday to mark one week anniversary of them messing around with it to find the source; they flew in a guy from Toyota and he called 5 minutes ago to tell me that this is, I quote: FREQUENCY MADE BY A MECHANICAL PUMP SUPPLYING POWER TO THE BRAKE BOOSTER. He said he was on the line with Toyota and they verified it to be NORMAL (!?!?!?!?!?!) - He pulled two 2019s in the service bay and verified they BOTH made the same sound and he swapped parts back and forth to see if something changes on any of the 3 cars and it didn't. They are swearing 100% that it's normal and although "annoying" - there isn't much they can do (meaning nothing at all). I DO appreciate the extensive effort they put in and I felt this was going to happen after I test drove 4 other Camrys and they all made this sound more or less. So my next step is to go home and sound proof that area with something. That crazy thing is that it only comes out during cold weather. Unreal but true. Case closed.
I could swear I've seen a recent TSB for vacuum pump noise on these cars.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I could swear I've seen a recent TSB for vacuum pump noise on these cars.
I think you're talking about this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwi614nY5YbfAhXG24MKHVZbBpMQFjAAegQIABAC&url=https://toyotatalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/T-SB-0316-17.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1IdEgvz-DZeD7XHCR0f_sz

That's not what this is; vacuum pump is under the hood. This is coming from under the dash, inside the foot well right above brake and gas pedals.

·
Registered
594 Posts
If they say it’s normal and only annoying, ask them if the Toyota CEO would daily drive it with that noise and also ask them to provide proof of their response (ie. any email from the CEO regarding specifically your unit). They should firmly stand on their claim not put you on your paces. I find the result unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If they say it’s normal and only annoying, ask them if the Toyota CEO would daily drive it with that noise and also ask them to provide proof of their response (ie. any email from the CEO regarding specifically your unit). They should firmly stand on their claim not put you on your paces. I find the result unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know and I agree 100%. But I've fought dealerships before, much better than Toyota (Acura) for months and eventually they killed every emotional attachment I had to that car and I ended up trading it in at losing almost $8000. It's a lost cause fighting them. I'll find a way to soundproof the noise. If not, I don't know, I would hate to sell the car because of that one thing. No car is perfect and I'd probably end up with some other nuisance with whatever I trade it in for.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think you're talking about this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwi614nY5YbfAhXG24MKHVZbBpMQFjAAegQIABAC&url=https://toyotatalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/T-SB-0316-17.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1IdEgvz-DZeD7XHCR0f_sz

That's not what this is; vacuum pump is under the hood. This is coming from under the dash, inside the foot well right above brake and gas pedals.
The "mechanical pump" they were talking about supplying power to the booster is probably the same vacuum pump discussed in the TSB and it is supplying "power" to the booster in the form of vacuum, not electricity.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm very particular about most things - and I don't have this noise in my car. How can it be described as normal? I'd be more than happy to give my VIN over to your service department so they can cross check part numbers/manufacturers for the component making all that noise. Would they look that deep into it a 2nd time? Who knows.

edit: I agree, your best bet is to simply sound proof that area and be happy with your car. It's such a minor issue that it's not worth more hassle that could make things worse in the end arguing with them. When you sound proof it, present us the results with a video!

·
Registered
2019 Camry XSE
2 Posts
So glad that I found your thread. My 2019 Camry XSE, with 600 miles, makes that exact noise (saw your YouTube videos). Have you found a way to sound proof the area?

My car has been in the shop twice for this and they haven't been able to do anything about it. I am scheduled to have it seen again in a couple days. Was told they are going to move the issue/concern up to their national department. I may cancel the appointment if this noise is actually "normal"... but I also would like Toyota to see/know this is an issue.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So glad that I found your thread. My 2019 Camry XSE, with 600 miles, makes that exact noise (saw your YouTube videos). Have you found a way to sound proof the area?

My car has been in the shop twice for this and they haven't been able to do anything about it. I am scheduled to have it seen again in a couple days. Was told they are going to move the issue/concern up to their national department. I may cancel the appointment if this noise is actually "normal"... but I also would like Toyota to see/know this is an issue.
I tried 5 other Camrys and they ALL do it; every one of them. So I went to a mechanic I trust and asked him what is this noise. He showed me the location of the pump that feeds into brake booster. That pump sits on engine's left side (our right if looking into engine bay). It's close (stupid design) proximity to the brake booster creates this static sounding noise but it's actually mechanical noise. He's been a mechanic for 25 years and he said that it is 100% STUPID design, not faulty design. There's nothing wrong going on - it's just the way they designed it. The only remedy is to stack it full of insulation but that might be harder than it sounds. I gave up...

·
Registered
2019 Camry XSE
2 Posts

I tried 5 other Camrys and they ALL do it; every one of them. So I went to a mechanic I trust and asked him what is this noise. He showed me the location of the pump that feeds into brake booster. That pump sits on engine's left side (our right if looking into engine bay). It's close (stupid design) proximity to the brake booster creates this static sounding noise but it's actually mechanical noise. He's been a mechanic for 25 years and he said that it is 100% STUPID design, not faulty design. There's nothing wrong going on - it's just the way they designed it. The only remedy is to stack it full of insulation but that might be harder than it sounds. I gave up...
Thank you for the help! Glad there is nothing wrong/failing with car. This has been my only “complaint”... so if that’s the worst problem with the car, I’ll take it 🙂

·
Registered
Camry LE 19
179 Posts
heard the same noise today, wish i would not have. Luckily i listen loud music in my car so it won`t bother me as much.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm usually pretty good at noticing things like this but I haven't to date. If it was me, since it's considered a normal noise and there's nothing to worry about, I would probably end up forgetting about it eventually to where I wouldn't notice it anymore. I used to work 3rd shift, and when I would try and sleep during the day, the neighbor had a noisy a/c unit. It took about a week to get used to the noise and got to a point where I didn't notice it anymore.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can you show me the part that is making the noise? I have the same issue in the icy temps outside now.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Well.. Mine just started to make the sound...And it`s annoying!

It is clearly vacuum related as it changes with brake pedal pumping/revs to build boost pressure.
It`s cold outside so maybe it`s related to that but I recall that the last winter it didn`t do it.
Car has 36k kms.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well.. Mine just started to make the sound...And it`s annoying!

It is clearly vacuum related as it changes with brake pedal pumping/revs to build boost pressure.
It`s cold outside so maybe it`s related to that but I recall that the last winter it didn`t do it.
Car has 36k kms.
I think it's the brake booster check valve. That's all I could find when searching for others who had similar problems in other vehicles. Maybe the newer Camry or Avalon have a good check valve we can swap with.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts