Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
'96 Camry gone threw hell
'96 Camry
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found what was causing my knock. A spun Rod bearing.......It didnt do too much damage to the crank but enough.....the Rod End is showing copper and black. I was wondering,If I can polish up the crank some and smoothen it out,Could I put new bearings in and put 1 quart gear lube and 3 quarts regular engine oil to lubercate the crank more? What can I do that doesn't require pulling the engine out and will last me a couple of months. Maybe not even that long.

Thanks.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
you can replace the bearings and put it all back together, but if the crank is chewed up, its definatly not gonna last very long.

dont put gear oil in there, i cant imagine that working very well.

you try replacing the bearings, but who knows how long its gonna last, just hope you dont have too many metal shavings floating around in the engine already.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
You can replace the bearings but it is not going to last very long probably. It may get you by for a month or two or it may last you a ear. Once the crank or bearings are chewed up like that they have to be replaced or professionally resurfaced. Well the crank can be resurfaced the bearings have to be replaced. You can buy oversized bearings for it. I guess if you dont want to pull the engine you could try pulling jsut the crank and sending it out to be resurfaced, but it is going to be a PITA to put it back in whil laying on your back under the car.

·
'96 Camry gone threw hell
'96 Camry
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. 2 Months would be great......It looks as when I get this car "fixed" I'm gonna have to get rid of it.....Sux cuz I actualy like it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts