Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Highlander v6 awd, the bolt is
listabout 4 inches and about .3 inches in diameter, double threads one set on each end, with a hex head on one end. I was doing an oil change and when I took the skid plate off, this bolt fell out! Any body know what it could be from?

·
Registered
2003 Highlander
593 Posts
2003 V6 AWD 345k miles. Original owner.
Looks like an intake manifold retainer bolt. Removed during spark plug service. I've never removed the manifold myself so this is just a good guess. Maybe someone who has taken the intake off can chime in here.....

If the car is running ok then I'd not worry about it. Probably got dropped down onto the belly pan years ago.
Good luck, Haya....

·
Premium Member
06 HiHy,13 Prius
525 Posts
None of the bolts on the intake are that long. But there are two studs, both with torx heads, that hold on the water pump and associated covers on the timing belt end of the engine. That bolt has been rubbing against something for some time, as you can tell by the damaged end. If you will look at the front of the engine, I think you will find a cover around the timing belt that has a hole that is unfilled, and also that there may be evidence of a bolt rubbing on the shock tower or that area. I think I would want that one re-installed if it were me. I'm guessing you have had a timing belt replaced.........?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
None of the bolts on the intake are that long. But there are two studs, both with torx heads, that hold on the water pump and associated covers on the timing belt end of the engine. That bolt has been rubbing against something for some time, as you can tell by the damaged end. If you will look at the front of the engine, I think you will find a cover around the timing belt that has a hole that is unfilled, and also that there may be evidence of a bolt rubbing on the shock tower or that area. I think I would want that one re-installed if it were me. I'm guessing you have had a timing belt replaced.........?
yes I did! that was my best guess as to what area it was coming from after much thought, forgot to mention that in the OP. I've deducted that it is one of the motor bracket rods; It's not the top one, and I can't see the bottom one, so I need to get a mirror down there to check.
pic for reference of the one I think it is

·
Premium Member
06 HiHy,13 Prius
525 Posts
Yep, that's the ones I was thinking of, even though I didn't describe it well. It's been too long since I have seen one! I think the ones holding the alternator bracket are 10mm, not the 8mm you have pictured here. I definitely think that's where I would look first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts