Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took my 2017 Highlander to dealer for oil change and tire rotation at 37K miles. They said that the transfer case and differential required immediate service (fluid change) based on my mileage. I told them that the manual states this was only needed if used under extreme conditions such as used for towing, carrying heavy loads, and use of a roof top carrier. I told them that none of these conditions applied to the vehicle. I was told by the dealer service rep that Toyota recommends that this should be changed at 30K miles. They will let this slide if the extreme conditions were not met but definitely is mandatory to be done at 50K miles no matter what. I again said that the manual doesn't call for this. They said that "Toyota Service" (I believe they were referring to Toyota itself, not the manual) says that this should be done. I would think that the Toyota manual is the "Toyota Service". Who is right? They wanted $158.49 for this service.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Go by the manual. There is no "Toyota Service".

So sad how some dealers are more worried about making more money today than they are about making happy customers who come back again in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I figured that they were giving me a line. The customer just has to educate themselves in everything these days or risk being taken advantage of.

·
Registered
2015 Highlander LTD
321 Posts
Go by the manual. There is no "Toyota Service".

So sad how some dealers are more worried about making more money today than they are about making happy customers who come back again in the future.
I had it done at $40,000. After I pulled out of the dealer and headed on to the highway entrance ramp the car groaned loudly. It was fine after I got on the highway. But I was kind of sorry I had it done.

·
Registered
2017 HL XLE
20 Posts
Forgot to add that I too passed on the offer, 150.00 I believe. Was also offered engine induction service, no again.
We'll see what happens next visit.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Manual is useless with marketing for lower cost of ownership... Maintenance neglect helps who?

Gearboxes, like a differential, transmission, or transfer case, require regular service. In the million or so miles that I've driven in my lifetime, I don't think that I've ever let one go over 30k miles without drain/refill service. I also check the cold gear oil level and top off yearly.

Learn to DIY so you don't have to pay the robbers at the dealership. Or, find an independent shop that will charge for labor while you pick whatever gear oil that you want to use for those components.

Or just keep driving with the spent factory fill fluid... and don't complain when it clunks, makes noises, wears out, or simply fails.

Customers need to educate themselves that "no service" is foolish since ANYTHING mechanical needs maintenance, whether you want to do it or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts