Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Avalon Hybrid for about 2 months, but it was a demo, so it's really been in-service for about 6 months. I'm planning to take it in for the 6 month service this coming week and have a question. Since the ToyotaCare no cost maintenance plan covers normal factory scheduled maintenance for 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first (something I've never had under any previous Toyota I've owned), I'm wondering if anyone knows whether they will replace wiper blades for free under this. I doubt it but since many of you have had your Avalons a lot longer I figured some of you would know.

I have a 2015 Subaru which had a normal 3 year/36K mile warranty (not free maintenance) and I was surprised to discover that they replaced the wipers for free during every 6 months service if you requested it, so that's why I'm asking. Also, I don't want to purchase new wipers (which it needs) if the dealer will replace them for free.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I think the only factory maintenance that is "scheduled" during the first 24 months, is oil changes, cabin air filter change, and tire rotations.

They will of course check everything else to make sure it's in specs, but I suspect we're paying for anything they find that is a consumable and needs adjustment/replacement.

I think it's all about getting us in the habit of bringing the Avalon to them for service, all the time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the only factory maintenance that is "scheduled" during the first 24 months, is oil changes, cabin air filter change, and tire rotations.

They will of course check everything else to make sure it's in specs, but I suspect we're paying for anything they find that is a consumable and needs adjustment/replacement.

I think it's all about getting us in the habit of bringing the Avalon to them for service, all the time.
Thanks. I suspect you're right, as the maintenance guide only lists "Inspect wiper blades" as one of the items every 6 months. I will ask, however, when I take mine in this week, and let everyone know if somehow they will replace them for free.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Some “free” maintenance is better than “no free” maintenance. I wonder if this includes full synthetic 0W-16 oil, which should last at least 7,500 miles or longer? Six months or 5,000 miles for the oil changes seems like a waste of resources, except for the first oil change. I prefer 3,000 miles for the first oil change to rid engine of any shavings, etc, but I guess I’m “free” to pay if I wish.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wonder if this includes full synthetic 0W-16 oil, which should last at least 7,500 miles or longer? Six months or 5,000 miles for the oil changes seems like a waste of resources, except for the first oil change.
The Avalon uses 0W-20 and is scheduled to be changed every 10,000 miles. If you want your first oil change at 3K then you would have to pay out of pocket for that.

The above is for a regular gas engine. Hybrid might be different.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Avalon uses 0W-20 and is scheduled to be changed every 10,000 miles. If you want your first oil change at 3K then you would have to pay out of pocket for that.

The above is for a regular gas engine. Hybrid might be different.
Thanks for the info. The Hybrid does indeed use 0W-16 and, of course, costs more than OW-20. I guess Exxon Mobil needs a few extra bucks to add to their billions of profit they make every year.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You say you need new wipers , fine. Just put new ones on now and when you go for the service put the old ones back on . If they replace them for free great. You will now have a spare set ready for when you need them again.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Some “free” maintenance is better than “no free” maintenance. I wonder if this includes full synthetic 0W-16 oil, which should last at least 7,500 miles or longer? Six months or 5,000 miles for the oil changes seems like a waste of resources, except for the first oil change. I prefer 3,000 miles for the first oil change to rid engine of any shavings, etc, but I guess I’m “free” to pay if I wish.
Dangerous territory for sure, talking about oil, and oil changes, and frequency.

EVERYONE has their own story, and it seems like they're all different.

For me, I always do the first oil/filter change at 1,500 miles, to get rid of the break in metals and contaminants, then again at 5,000 miles, then every 5,000 miles after that. I also send the used oil samples in for analysis, once a year, just to have a running annual health report of what's in the oil at each change.

I normally end up getting about 2 oil changes a year with this schedule, and over the 50 years or so of vehicle ownership, I have never had a vehicle get less than 200,000 miles (excluding the 1 Ford and 1 Chevrolet I owned in the 70's), and a couple have gone 250,000 miles before I got rid of them, usually donated to my boys.

3.5L V-6 is specified for 0-20 full synthetic oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dangerous territory for sure, talking about oil, and oil changes, and frequency.

EVERYONE has their own story, and it seems like they're all different.

For me, I always do the first oil/filter change at 1,500 miles, to get rid of the break in metals and contaminants, then again at 5,000 miles, then every 5,000 miles after that. I also send the used oil samples in for analysis, once a year, just to have a running annual health report of what's in the oil at each change.

I normally end up getting about 2 oil changes a year with this schedule, and over the 50 years or so of vehicle ownership, I have never had a vehicle get less than 200,000 miles (excluding the 1 Ford and 1 Chevrolet I owned in the 70's), and a couple have gone 250,000 miles before I got rid of them, usually donated to my boys.

3.5L V-6 is specified for 0-20 full synthetic oil.
For sure, everyone has their own opinion regarding initial oil changes and frequency thereafter. I used to be in the camp of dumping the break-in oil quick and then every 3-5k afterwards. But, that was over 30 years ago. Engine technology and build quality has improved tremendously in recent years. I have zero issue with running the initial oil in my new Toyota engine the prescribed 10k miles. Actually, I believe the microscopic break-in byproducts actually help with the break-in process. Sure, it goes against what we were taught 30-40 years ago. I'm not saying it'll hurt a thing to change oil as frequently as some prefer. I do believe it's a waste of money and resources though. My $ 0.02.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Thanks for the info. The Hybrid does indeed use 0W-16 and, of course, costs more than OW-20. I guess Exxon Mobil needs a few extra bucks to add to their billions of profit they make every year.
What are you talking about? At Walmart they charge the same for 0W-16 as their other synthetic oils:

BTW, the following USA companies earned more profit than Exxon Mobil last year:
  • Apple
  • J.P. Morgan Chase
  • Alphabet (Google)
  • Wells Fargo
  • Facebook
  • Intel
And Exxon Mobil did not violate your privacy and sell your information to others.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Engine technology and build quality has improved tremendously in recent years.
That is definitely true.

In addition, the quality of motor oil has also improved during that time frame, even for conventional oil. Synthetic motor oils are far superior to conventional motor oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
mark888
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing