Toyota Nation Forum banner

Free Map Light Mod Transistor

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Fluxaholic 
#1 · (Edited)
I did the map light mod this past weekend (turned out great!), for which you need a Darlington 2N6667 PNP transistor. I read that some people had problems with bad transistors, so I went ahead and ordered two of them to be safe. The first one worked just fine, so I have an extra transistor that I don't need.

If anyone wants it, I'll mail it out free (I'll even eat the $0.39 postage). :lol: I also have some extra 330 ohm resistors, so I can mail one with the transistor. That means that all you'll need is the 18 gauge wiring and a few connectors to finish the job.

I'd like to see this go to someone who will actually do this mod (this stuff can sit around at my house just as easily as someone else's), so only reply if you're serious about doing it.

#3 ·
i want them so our trucks can have all the same mods:clap: . im just kidding, i would like to do it but has anyone bypassed using a switch to turn of the map lights?

there is a write up in the DIY section. it lights up your map lights with your dome light.

#4 · (Edited)
i will take it, if either GTCOMA or rydr1 doesnt want it. woo hoo free stuff. and i will do it. i wanted to do this mod for a while, but i just could be bothered with lookin up the parts. i have all the wiring and stuff, just no transistor or whatever.

#5 ·
rydr1 said:
i want them so our trucks can have all the same mods:clap: . im just kidding, i would like to do it but has anyone bypassed using a switch to turn of the map lights?

there is a write up in the DIY section. it lights up your map lights with your dome light.
Yes, a couple of people have put in a simple on/off switch in the sunglasses holder or the garage remote space. Very easy. Just have to insert the switch inline on the 12V+ wire. I believe there are a couple of pictures in that thread.

#15 ·
I'd be interested to take them off your hands as I've been fixing do this mod just haven't had the chance to go out and get what I need, with parts in hand I really won't have much of a choice. I'd even be will to reimburse you for your costs if you want. Let me know (PM)

#19 ·
Yeah, I've worn glasses and contacts since I was about the same age. I just couldn't take it anymore. The surgery was a piece of cake. Walked out of the doctor's office at 4 pm, and by 8 pm I was watching tv glasses free. Woke up this morning seeing pretty much perfect. I have 20/20 vision and the doctor expects it to improve even more in the next few weeks as my eyes heal.

For the custom lasik (wavefront-guided) with Intralase (where they cut the initial flap with a laser rather than a blade), it was about $4,800. Most places around town were only about $4,000, but I think you get what you pay for. The piece of mind is worth the extra cash. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.