Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 v6 has made a clattering sound for 1 or 2 seconds on cold startup, since I've had it. The fuel injection computer causes camry engine cold starts to immediately go to about 1800 rpm, i guess to prevent stalling. The engine does not Like this one bit and expresses its displeasure by clatter for several seconds (sounds like connecting rod bearings but could be piston slap). Engine has 176.000 miles.

This clatter has always bothered me. The 1fmze engine is so tough chances are in reality it's doing no harm...BUT Even though it hasn't caused problems yet-the engine is in great shape, normal power, doesn't use oil otherwise normal- I wanted to stop this cold engine clatter!

I tried every additive stp, slick 50 duralube. Marvel. No change in the clatter. Despite what the products say on the bottle not one of them has the necessary "cling" for oil to still be on bearings after overnight.

I decided to even wire in a kill switch to the ecu fuse in the underwood box and even bought the parts. The kill switch was intended to let me crank the engine for 5 seconds to circulate oil before starting. Naturally wiring the switch would not be a pleasant chore. But today I think I found a free solutions. ...

Here's all there is to it. Start the engine allow it to just start then kill the engine immediately before it reaches "clatter speed". Now start the engine normally the clatter is gone.

I think the start- then -stop throws enough oil in the engine to prevent the clatter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention there is another solution that will not only prevent the clatter but almost certainly extend engine life a great deal. It involves installing a relatively simple device underwood called a pre oiler.

If you havent heard of these already Here's what they do, they automatically pump about a pint of pressurized oil through much of the oil system before you start the car. Your ignition key is wired to a small solenoid that keeps some of your crankcase oil pressurized in the small reservoir. When you turn the key to "run" (not start) this oil is automatically released under pressure to pump oil through the engine galleys and passages to pre oil bearings and rings. This takes a few seconds you then start the car normally.
The oil reservoir gets its pressure from normal oil pressure as the solenoid is always open as the engine runs. I.e. the reservoir is now another way stop in the oil system (but even if the valve malfunctioned and solenoid stuck shut no harm would be done anyway.)

How it works is quite simple. When you shut off the engine, the little solenoid detects it has no voltage and quickly closes this valve thus trapping the oil in the reservoir under pressure (about 30 or 40 psi) for the next time you start the engine.

The pre oiler costs $250 for a car if I had money burning a hole in my pocket would have bought one long ago. These pre oilers are widely used by people with expensive and irreplaceable engines and they are said to work well. The only potential problem is you are adding several potential leak points to the oil system. but other then that a pre oiler eems like a great idea, especially if you have a newer car.

You can also transfer the system to another car if desired although you might need new fittings and hoses.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2021 Camry SE-2009 Camry V6
1,381 Posts
12 year old car .... 176,000 miles .... engine runs fine ......... uses no oil.
And why are you worried about it ??

What kind of oil and filter ?????? Sounds like no drain back valve in the oil filter and/or oil is too thick. Hope you are not using 10W40, 20W50, or SAE 30 lawn mower oil (just kidding).

Try using a genuine toyota oil filter and 0W30 Mobil 1 oil. If that doesn't work........ turn up the radio.

I do agree the 1,800 rpm when cold is annoying as my 09 3.5L V6 revs this high too when first started but with zero engine clatter. I don't put it in gear until rpms drop under 1,500 ...... usually a few seconds.

It is annoying but they are designed to operate this way and there appears to be zero enigne failures becasue if it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
It seems as my 04 V6 gets older, the start up engine RPM gets higher. Now starts at 1800 in a 55F garage. I have used Denso oil filters and Mobil I 0w-30 oil since it became available a few years ago. Before that I used 5w-30. Those pre-oilers are a nice feature, but installing one can be problematic in finding sources for inlet and pressurized oil. Regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.