Toyota Nation Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm about 1,000 miles short of the 5,000 mile mark for my next oil change. We are going on a trip that will add about another 1,500 miles or so on the odometer so that will put the vehicle anywhere between 500-1,000 miles over the miles listed on the service sticker. The oil used is 0W-20. Will I be OK to wait until I get back from my trip on December 1st to get another oil change? The HL has around 146,500 miles on it now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You should be fine as long as you're using 0w-20 oil and don't drive in the severe conditions listed below.

The 2018 Toyota Highlander maintenance booklet says the normal oil change interval if you are using 0w-20 is 10,000 miles. If you are using 5w-20, it says to use 5k mile intervals.

ALSO, in the following situations, they recommend every 5,000 miles for:
"Repeated trips of less than five miles in temperatures below 32°F / 0°C: Replace engine oil and oil filter 2. Extensive idling and/or low speed driving for a long distance such as police, taxi or door-to-door delivery use: Replace engine oil and oil filter"

Link to the 2018 Highlander Maintenance Guide. Go to page 38, Maintenance Log Charts :

Below is a shot of part of a spreadsheet I made with data from the Maintenance Log Charts. A whole lot easier to read at a glance:

Miles50001000015000200002500030000
Months61218243036
Check installation of drivers floor matxxxxxx
Inspect & adjust all fluid levels (1)xxxxxx
Inspect wiper bladesxxxxxx
Replace Cabin Air Filterxxx
Replace engine oil & filterxxx
Rotate tiresxxxxxx
Visually inspect brake linings/drums & brake pads/discsxxxxxx
Replace Engine air filterx
Replace Spark Plugs
Inspect Ball joints & dust coversxx
Inspect brake lines & hosesxx
Inspect drive shaft bootsxx
Inspect engine coolantxx
Inspect exhaust pipes & mountingsxx
Inspect radiator & condenserxx
Inspect steering gearxx
Inspect steering linkage & bootsxx
Inspect automatic transmission for signs of leakingx
Inspect fuel lines & connections, fuel tank band & vapor vent systemx
Inspect fuel tank cap gasketx
Inspect drive belts

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
641 Posts
Well, depends on how have you been maintaining your 2012 HL... If you have always changed its oil & filter very close to the 5000 mile mark (and sounded to me, you have) then why break the pattern. I do agree, 0W-20 full synthetic in later models has longer oil change intervals, but, every engine is a little different plus why take that concern on the trip with you, in addition, you can relax upon returned from your trip than putting time aside to get the oil changed soon. ;) My $0.02 and what i would do.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your replies and information. I have changed the oil around 5,000 miles each time and it is running 0W-20 full synthetic. As I mentioned right now I'm around 1,000 miles or so short of the 5,000 mile change interval. I just checked the oil in the HL and the level is perfect but the "look" of the oil is "darker". Doesn't have that look of "clean" oil.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Guys, this is crazy. With full synthetic you should easily be able to get 10K between changes. 5K is a waste of money. I've driven engines to 330K miles with full synthetic at 10K intervals and there were never any problems. There have been plenty of examples where oil has been tested by labs at 5K, 10K & 15K yielding negligible differences in protection and suspended wear materials. If you want to contribute money to the petroleum industry (which loves your 5K changes) that's your call. But to frighten the OP by going 1K over a rediculuous 5K interval on full synthetic is insane.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
6,515 Posts
Guys, this IS crazy. To be honest, just like any other oil thread. Some sort of obsessive behavior with oils, filters and tires.
I dare to put it into caps:

YOUR MAINTENANCE MINDER WILL TELL YOU WHEN TO CHANGE OIL.
Period, end of sentence. It says to do so - you change oil.
No questions asked.

·
6,369 Posts
I'm not in the mood to moderate yet another oil thread.
Read the good book of the internet and decide which oil religion is right for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.