Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. new to this board. I just bought an 85 Runner with a fresh engine rebuild, maybe 3500 miles since it was rebuilt.

The guy who did the engine rebuild has done several and he is very meticulous, exact torque on bolts, ordering bolts from Toyota instead of using old nasty looking bolts, the whole 9 yards. This guy does good work and other people regulary make comments on this work.

Anyway, this 22RE, even though freshly rebuilt, makes, what sounds to me, like timing chain chatter when you first fire it up for about 2-3 seconds. The chatter stops after that and I have no more issues with the noise, that I can tell anyway. He told me that he has talked to several Yota guru's who have told him that due to resurfacing the block and the head takes away material, therefore the timing chain is not as tight as it should be and that is why it makes the racket that it does. He also told me that these gurus have told him it wont hurt the engine or TC. I have a very hard time believing this.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
O.K. new to this board. I just bought an 85 Runner with a fresh engine rebuild, maybe 3500 miles since it was rebuilt.

The guy who did the engine rebuild has done several and he is very meticulous, exact torque on bolts, ordering bolts from Toyota instead of using old nasty looking bolts, the whole 9 yards. This guy does good work and other people regulary make comments on this work.

Anyway, this 22RE, even though freshly rebuilt, makes, what sounds to me, like timing chain chatter when you first fire it up for about 2-3 seconds. The chatter stops after that and I have no more issues with the noise, that I can tell anyway. He told me that he has talked to several Yota guru's who have told him that due to resurfacing the block and the head takes away material, therefore the timing chain is not as tight as it should be and that is why it makes the racket that it does. He also told me that these gurus have told him it wont hurt the engine or TC. I have a very hard time believing this.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I dont believe it is your timing chain, it would not tighten it self up after a few moments running. If that was the case it would have to be a centrifical tensioner which is not in older Toyotas. It sounds like it would be an oil pump issue but I cant say that with any conviction with out hearing it. If the oil pump wasnt replaced or properly primed it would make a clatter possibly like you are describing. It hard to tell where engine noises are coming from at times. This may be the case. I am curious as to hear from others as to what they think. I hope you get it figured out.

·
MagAuto.com Parts Master
26 Posts
Are you sure it isn't a "ticking" noise since those engines are famous for valve tapping. If it is valve tapping then just get used to it or get them adjusted every so often. This is why they stopped using the 22RE engine. Hope this helps.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Another vote for valvetrain noise here. A timing chain noise is not going to just go away in a few seconds.

·
Registered
Lndcrs, 4run, camry,
2,448 Posts
FatAzzRunner,

I'm with ccivll4. I think that your pump is loosing prime after sitting, and it takes a couple of seconds to build enough pressure to get the oil to the top end (valve train) and the timing chain housing. My solution to the problem is try a toyota oil filter. They have a check valve in the filter which will help keep oil in the upper system and prevent pump cavitation on startup. Some after market filters don't have this feature and would cause this issue. Its worth a try and does not cost too much to try it. If a toyota filter is installed, then you might need to look at maybe replaceing the oil pump. Those pumps a very hardy and usually and I say usually don't fail often. You can adjust the pressure but if you want to do that, it would be a good idea to put a pressure gauge on it to monitor your adjustment to make sure you don't over do it. That would be my last resort. Keep us informed about this issue. And welcome to T/N.

·
Registered
3 Posts
timing chain

Hello, my first post, as I just put my 87 4runner back on the road, and am back to keeping it in good shape, ( I should say 'running') 295K on it.

Is it not common for the chain to rattle if its old or lacking oil pressure ? Sometimes just for a few seconds. In fact I bought a used truck (with after market flatbed) from a friend and he told me the engine was rebuilt , had all the paper work, the mechanic was superb.... but after I had it a bit the chain rattled at start, and I have over 500K miles with 22r motors, so I told him to take it back. Come to find out the mechanic didnt do all he was supposed to in the timing chain department.
Anyway, its common for the noise to go away in a few seconds after oil pressure come up, but this is not the norm on a new or rebuilt engine.

Do use the toyota filter, I had that problem on my 18r motor with after market filters.

...and ...a loose chain will go though the water pump housing after awhile,,,correct?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts