Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
his car: '92 celica gt 5sfe
last night we had just got done with an oil change and plug change. we were triving around testing it out and h didnt know about the sharp turn on a street and rammed into the curb at about 30 degrees.

we ran back to my house, got a jack and flashlight and assessed the situation. the rim is completely ruined. its bent to hell and back. the tire isnt really salvagable because all his tires were bald anyways. we inspected the axil and turning rods and they were alright so we put his donut tire on and took it back to his house.

we then assessed the situation /w a little more light. we found that the wheel assembly is out of alignmnet by about 20 degrees(heres a picture of the wheels from a top view | \) we also saw that the boot on the end of the axel that connects to the disk is ripped open. we made sure that the axle was still sitting right in the joint and its fine. none of the rods or anything were bent, thank god...

so heres the damage assessment:
tire and rim destroyed
wheel out of allignment
axle boot torn open

so my question to you guys is this: is it possible that we cabn re-align his right front wheel or should this be done in a shop? and does the axle boot have to be sealed or does this need to be replaced also? thanks for yer input!

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
1.- Shop. Wheel alignement IS NOT a DIY job, it takes precise machinery and sensors to get it aligned

2.- Replace. CV boots cannot be sealed closed, they contain grease and that wont allow the glue to seal properly so sooner or later you will have to replace it.

Replace the boot first then get it aligned cause you will loose the alignment once you remove the axle to replace the boot.

BTW, when replacing the CV boot check the axle and the CV joint for damage

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn. i also forgot to add that the crash retarded the timing by 7 degrees. now its at 3, it was at 10. im pretty sure this is a DIY job but in the Chiltons manual it doesnt tell you how to forward timing.

how much will a new axle boot run?

·
camrys blow off too!
06 subaru wrx wagon
554 Posts
thats why most just change the axle when the boot tears. most axles only cost like 50 bucks anyway

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how about to retime the engine? is that a pain in the ass? i searched for in in the forums and on google and came up with nothing. I also looked in the chiltons manual and it never said anything about ajusting the timing.

my friend really doesnt have teh $$$ to replace teh whole axle.

i feel partly responsible for teh accident whereas i should have told him to slow down or to watch out for the curb.

my payment back to him is to help him out with the repairs and such....

·
camrys blow off too!
06 subaru wrx wagon
554 Posts
well, timing an engine isnt hard...if you have a timing light. if you need more info search for it, im sure its here. if not pm me and ill take care of it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts