Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
his car: '92 celica gt 5sfe
i am posting over here in camry forum because my questions really dont have anything to do with his specific model of toyota. just read this:

last night we had just got done with an oil change and plug change. we were triving around testing it out and h didnt know about the sharp turn on a street and rammed into the curb at about 30 degrees.

we ran back to my house, got a jack and flashlight and assessed the situation. the rim is completely ruined. its bent to hell and back. the tire isnt really salvagable because all his tires were bald anyways. we inspected the axil and turning rods and they were alright so we put his donut tire on and took it back to his house.

we then assessed the situation /w a little more light. we found that the wheel assembly is out of alignmnet by about 20 degrees(heres a picture of the wheels from a top view | \) we also saw that the boot on the end of the axel that connects to the disk is ripped open. we made sure that the axle was still sitting right in the joint and its fine. none of the rods or anything were bent, thank god...

so heres the damage assessment:
tire and rim destroyed
wheel out of allignment
axle boot torn open
timing retarded from 10 degrees to 3 degrees

so my question to you guys is this: is it possible that we can re-align his right front wheel or should this be done in a shop? and does the axle boot have to be sealed or does this need to be replaced also? can we advance the timing back to 10 degrees safely? thanks for yer input!

·
Registered
263 Posts
the cv boot might be able to be repaired. i think ive seen kits for that. ive never replaced just the boot before. all i have done is the whole joint cuz it was worn hella.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
The timing was thrown off??? Weird. It really shouldn't be. I'm pretty sure the timing is computer controlled. Unless it is actually a 91.5', then it might still have a distributor.

So you have a timing gun at home?

If the car has a distributor, loosen the bolt holding it in place, start up the engine, and tap the distributor as needed to correct it.

If it is electronically controlled, it shouldn't be off. But if it is, bring it to a shop to have it done.

Alignment, gotta be done in a shop. There not too expensive.

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my friend took the whole wheel assembly off so we could get a better look at the damage. there weren't any bends in anything.

a bearing exploded :eek:

the cv boot is going to be replaced along /w the axle. does teh cv boot come with the axle or do you have to buy it seperatly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts