Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sleeper-still sleeping
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all....

As the subject line says, my friend's car needs a diagnosis. It's a 1996 Honda Civic EX (pls don't bash me). Here are the problems he's encountered.

- from cold start, the engine is experiencing some "lag" when turning over...takes a couple seconds longer than it used to.

- on certain occasions, the engine wants to overheat (during rush hour sitting idle in traffic). The temperature goes up, but as soon as the car starts moving, the temp falls a bit. He is not driving it hard or for long periods of time. I know this sounds reasonable (overheating in traffic), but it wasn't doing it before.

So, I gave him a couple possible reasons, but I can't be absolutely sure. I'm not THAT good a engine diagnosis. That's why I posted here, to see what some other car enthusiast have to say. Some insight or solutions would be grateful. THX!

Redline

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
for the starting problem i don't know. try an oil change..

as for the overheating problem it's the thermostat my friend's prelude had the same thing when the thermostat was replaced that fixed it..along with new coolant

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
or the fan isn't turning on.......when the car starts moving again....air flow will cool down eng temps....u can test this for him...have the car running and idling and check to see if the fans turn on......as for cold start....sounds like maybe battery is dying.....

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Or he might need his radaitor flushed?

·
Sleeper-still sleeping
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx for the replies!

atobe: my friend recently got his oil changed, so I don't think that's the problem. I'll consider the thermostat change after checking MRQ's suggestion. Thx!

MRQ: I had considered the fan problem, but I didn't get a good look to see if it's running. I'll check that when I get the chance. So, what should I do if it ISN'T running? Is there something that would cause this? Also, I'll check the battery level. Thx!

Gridlyne: the rad coolant in the reservior looks fine (not grimey, no deposits), but I'll have to ask him about the last time he did a flush. Thx!

Redline

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
it could be a few things that could be the cause....a faulty fan relay...faulty coolant temp sensor...faulty thermostat...

·
Triple A Whore
Z06, Camry, Tucson
7,656 Posts
Or he could have a bunch of crap stuck that hinders air flow to cool the system? Things like leaves and plastic bags will kill air flow.

·
Sleeper-still sleeping
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright guys....thread resurrection!

I did that coolant flush as recommended by others (and as originally planned). Came upon a couple things:

- we put in 1.5 litres (out of 3.2L) of coolant/water mix into the system, ran the car a few times, but the level doesn't go down anymore. In other words, it's full. But how can this be? :confused:

- there are 2 fans in the front of the car (left and right from the front). While the car was running, I could turn on the fan from inside, and the right fan would run, but the whole time, the left fan (the one right in front of the rad where I put in the coolant) didn't move an inch. Could this be a problem with the fan relay?

So, I called around, and the most likely problem is that the thermostat is busted. Does anyone know how much it costs to replace the thermostat? And, with the fan, if it's the relay or connections, could someone point me to the location in the engine bay where to fix this problem, and maybe some steps to take?

Thanks for all your help, guys/gals....much appreciated!

Redline

1 - 8 of 8 Posts