Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
rieds
2010 Corolla S
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody tried this? my right front is draging.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It sounds more complicated than it is. There are several YouTube videos, very detailed... I did one caliper, the kit on RockAuto is about $3+ shipping. But first check the sliding pins, of course, as 75aces suggested

·
rieds
2010 Corolla S
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do the sliding pins feel in the caliper? What's the condition of the dust boot on the piston?

Before rebuilding, bleed the caliper and see if that helps.
I cleaned the slides and greased them but noticed it was harder than usual to compress the piston back into the caliper than in the past. it get s hot enough to melt the center cap in my rim to the point it fell out.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,257 Posts
Brake fluid corrodes from the inside out. The issues won't be seen right away.

Open the bleeder valve on the caliper and compress the piston. If it won't move, then replace the caliper and the brake hose. Then bleed the system.

·
rieds
2010 Corolla S
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so if I open the bleeder and the piston moves freely that means my brake line is bad?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,257 Posts
so if I open the bleeder and the piston moves freely that means my brake line is bad?
Not necessarily. Unless the bleeder is closed and it's leaking fluid from the brake hose or the caliper.

With the bleeder open, fluid will come out of the caliper. Pump the brake pedal to pressurize it and add fluid. The level should have dropped by that point.

It's more worse if the caliper piston was stuck. That means the piston corroded and the boot got moisture behind it.

·
rieds
2010 Corolla S
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it's the right side. i dont think its locked up because it's not pulling to the left so could the brake line be weak and not let the caliper release completely? it sure acts like a slide problem but I went thru all that. guess I need to check it again.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,257 Posts
it's the right side. i dont think its locked up because it's not pulling to the left so could the brake line be weak and not let the caliper release completely? it sure acts like a slide problem but I went thru all that. guess I need to check it again.
Check for swells in the brake hose. The hard lines should be in good condition unless you live in the rust belt.

Some owners upgraded to stainless steel brake hoses. I have not done this, so don't know how much improvement it is over the rubber hose. Less prone to swelling and ripping I guess.

You could have air in the system. Try bleeding all corners. If that doesn't help, then you might have a failing brake master cylinder.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
233 Posts
Personally I wouldn’t rebuild it I would just buy a new one based on my experience

1 - 14 of 14 Posts