Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife's '16 Avalon front brakes (both sides I think) make a "click" sound each time you brake while in reverse. Travel 50 feet in reverse, depress the brakes whatever number of times and you'll hear the click each time. It didn't start doing this till maybe 3k or 4k miles back (now 10k miles). To me, the click sound I hear sounds like the pads shifting backward in the caliper bracket, or maybe (but don't think it is) the caliper moving on the guide pins each time the brakes are applied.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any TSB's? What was the cause and the solution? The dealer says they didn't notice the noise, what they heard was normal.

On edit: I guess I might add that this isn't the first car we've owned with front disk brakes, but it is >the< first car that's ever done this. So why is this now deemed "normal"? And, if we say the sound is "normal", there is still a reason of why the sound is produced. Why only after it's been driven 6k to 7k miles though?

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Hybrid, 2018 Prius Three, 2018 Prius Two, 2021 Tesla Y Long Range
562 Posts
"Normal" seems to be the answer. I still can't envision what's causing the click, though, and look forward to an explanation .

What I don't understand is the click occurs with consecutive reverse braking, and doesn't require forward braking. Are the pads spring-loaded, and always moving to the "forward" position, after reverse braking?

·
Inveterate Tinkerer
2014 Avalon Limited
1,093 Posts
I don't hear mine doing that. But then I'm old, half deaf and don't back up 50 feet while applying the brakes multiple times ;)

Suggestion. Just for your own peace of mind, jack up the front of the car and remove the wheels. Check to be sure both calipers are tight. There are four bolts on the inside of the assembly to check. While you're there take a look at the brake pads to be sure they aren't worn away. The clicking sound 'could' be the wear indicators just starting to touch the rotors.

Cheers!

·
PJSMITH
1,678 Posts
click is probably the pads moving a bit in the caliper. probably normal.
clank is probably a loose caliper

·
Registered
JDM 1992 Crown Majesta 2JZ A-Grade
342 Posts
Hi there

The pads sit in the caliper bracket and are subject to the rotational force of the rotors but of course are stoped by the brackets. The same small amount of clearance that allows the pads to slide in and out as the piston pushes them against the rotor is what is allowing the rotational movement and the sudden stop that causes the clicks

It's normal but I am not there hearing that what you have is in fact what I described. If the dealer or a mechanic said the same thing as above then trust them and me it's normal. Not all cars do it. Our 2009 Honda Odyssey is the loudest ever. My since traded is250 Lexus was the first car I had it in after owning a handful of other yotas

Are you familiar with doing a brake job? If so the above should make sense. If not, watch some YouTube videos on the topic and it will become clear

·
Registered
342 Posts
I wanted to add

They don't do this in drive because they normally sit against the side of the bracket that "drive" would push them to. No clearance, no click. In drive, the clearance is behind the pad's rotational trajectory, if you will. In reverse, the clearance is in front of the pad's trajectory and is virtually instantaneously closed when you hit the brakes and the pads grab the rotor. This clearance is tiny, btw

I want to reiterate (again) that not being there to verify that this is what you Are actually hearing, if you aren't saying "this makes total sense, that's what it is!" Then go hve a good mechanic listen and verify. Better safe than sorry. Feel free
To reach out with any questions

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thanks. I can't envision the design, but please clarify for me.
Should this click occur with EVERY brake pulse, in reverse, slowly backing down a long driveway? Shouldn't the pad, in drive or reverse, shift only once, and stay in that position? All my previous cars, Honda Odysseys,every VW/Audi I owned did this: ONLY ONE click
I've phoned several dealers in the DWF region, the ALL say it's normal, has been for years. My dealer checked it, says it's normal...and annoying. "Tick...tick...tick" every time I touch the brake in reverse.
Thanks again.

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
8,848 Posts
Yea, it's normal if they do it every time - as long as it's still a click. I've found that those times that it does it every time you press the brakes then it's the pad "unsticking" and falling back to its normal place where they normally sit when in drive. Those times that it only clicks once on the first brake application in reverse, you'll also experience a click the first time you brake in drive.

Like acara ^ said, we're talking generalities here since we can't be there to hear it. But generally, all normal.

I've went and put some extra brake line on the surface of the pad seating area on the brake caliper mounting bracket. It stopped all the clicking for about a month or two, then it came back.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Toyota hardware includes a little c shaped spring (in all my experiences) that push the pads toward the forward/drive position. My guess is that that spring is why it doesn't stay in the reverse position like, say, my odyssey which clicks again once I've finished reversing and started forward again

Curious: are they the original Toyota front pads?

If you don't have peace about it you ought to have Toyota listen. Most shops are hard pressed to entertain a diagnosis over the phone

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
8,848 Posts
Toyota hardware includes a little c shaped spring (in all my experiences) that push the pads toward the forward/drive position. My guess is that that spring is why it doesn't stay in the reverse position like, say, my odyssey which clicks again once I've finished reversing and started forward again

Curious: are they the original Toyota front pads?

If you don't have peace about it you ought to have Toyota listen. Most shops are hard pressed to entertain a diagnosis over the phone
Makes sense. My only experience has been all OEM pads on newer vehicles (less than 2 years old). Interestingly enough, our new RAV4 doesn't do it and never has. Thought that was always nice how it didn't.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Noticed it from day 1 with my new 2014 when purchased. Spoke with my dealer service about it and same thing... normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
I had clocked a combined 250k plus in Toyotas (99 Camry 2009 corolla 2007 Camry Hybrid and briefly a 96 prism and 91 corolla) without ever experiencing this, then I got my 2008 Is250 which I HATED. the click was part of the reason. So was the confused 6 speed auto. In hind sight, it was fine as a car and would still be in my position if I didn't treat it le a stock car and trade it. I was young. Was my 24th birthday gift
To my self. Glad I'm not that clinically narcissistic anymore :). I was just used to 3 speed with overdrive,
Manuals, or hybrids. No crazy autos. and doing my own
Brakes. But living in south Florida with no tools and a champagne taste, I decided to go back to a Hybrid. I ended up with my wife's Solara, which I just got rid of (sad cause I loved that car) and the 5 speed auto was quirky. At 175k I was certain it was up for replacement sooner than later. I build cars and custom parts now,
And while nothing can't be done here at home, sometimes I just decide to cut my losses. That's when I bailed on the jacked
Solara and got my Avalon.

That said, the "click" is normal but if your loosing sleep over it just have a master tech at Toyota verify it's normality

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yes, OEM pads/rotors. Not losing sleep, especially now that several HERE have confirmed what 2 different Fort Worth Toyota dealers stated: NORMAL.
No loss of sleep, just annoyed by the click...sigh...

·
Registered
342 Posts
It is annoying, I know. My Honda drives me instane. It's way louder than the is250 ever was.

Glad you are comfortable with it and not worried.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have the same clicking on my 2014 Avalon . Hear it every time I back into my garage . Mechanic at Toyota dealer didn't hear it because it's loud in the shop and on the street . He said if I do hear it then that it is normal but I never heard the clicking on any other car . At least now I know other people hear that sound ....

·
14TAH Touring 10 TundraDC
2014 TAH Touring
400 Posts
My 2014 makes a clicking noise when backing up. My 2012 TCH XLE did it also. Pretty sure it's normal for the Hybrids. Might have something to do with the electric drive for reverse but just a guess. Could it be the regen braking disengaging? Just speculation.

I realize this is the General or ICE forum, but wondering is this happening on the V6s also. That would rule out the hybrid theory. Still if it is happening on V6s I think it's normal. (update) I did see one ICE Avalon reporting hearing the clicking so likely just a pad shifting thing, I would still say normal.

BTW, Can't hurt to post your vehicle year/model/motor/color/General location (state) hint hint...... We might get more answers. :grin:

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
8,848 Posts
My 2014 makes a clicking noise when backing up. My 2012 TCH XLE did it also. Pretty sure it's normal for the Hybrids. Might have something to do with the electric drive for reverse but just a guess. Could it be the regen braking disengaging? Just speculation.

I realize this is the General or ICE forum, but wondering is this happening on the V6s also. That would rule out the hybrid theory. Still if it is happening on V6s I think it's normal. (update) I did see one ICE Avalon reporting hearing the clicking so likely just a pad shifting thing, I would still say normal.

BTW, Can't hurt to post your vehicle year/model/motor/color/General location (state) hint hint...... We might get more answers. :grin:
Happened on my old 2016 V6 Camry. And my old 2012 ICE 4cyl Camry.

·
Registered
959 Posts

Yes, my 2013 Avalon V6 Limited also clicks when the brakes are applied in reverse. I'm quite sure it's normal.

Robert N.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is annoying, I know. My Honda drives me instane. It's way louder than the is250 ever was. Glad you are comfortable with it and not worried.
My wife's '16 Avalon front brakes (both sides I think) make a "click" sound each time you brake while in reverse. Travel 50 feet in reverse, depress the brakes whatever number of times and you'll hear the click each time. It didn't start doing this till maybe 3k or 4k miles back (now 10k miles). To me, the click sound I hear sounds like the pads shifting backward in the caliper bracket, or maybe (but don't think it is) the caliper moving on the guide pins each time the brakes are applied. Has anyone else noticed this? Any TSB's? What was the cause and the solution? The dealer says they didn't notice the noise, what they heard was normal. On edit: I guess I might add that this isn't the first car we've owned with front disk brakes, but it is >the< first car that's ever done this. So why is this now deemed "normal"? And, if we say the sound is "normal", there is still a reason of why the sound is produced. Why only after it's been driven 6k to 7k miles though?
Hello, My 2017 Toyota Avalon Limited makes the same clicking sound when applying the brakes in reverse...just like you described. I purchased the vehicle in September 2021, with only 13,000 miles. I find this clicking to be very annoying as well. I read the responses which claim this is normal, but it doesn't make much sense. I still have my 2004 Avalon which I purchased new back then and the brakes never made this sound...it has over 230,000 miles on it. Not sure why newer vehicles have this issue. Thanks for posting about this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts