Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Corolla S 6/Spd
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at the dealership today getting routine maintenance done (Oil change + Tire Rotation) and as part of their check I specifically asked them to check my brakes because Mavis Tire had told me that my fronts were shot 2000 miles ago so wouldn't you know it the front pads were down to 2 mils while the rear pads had 6 mils remaining. Long and short of it I had them change the front pads and rotors for $579, which included the labor of course (let the flaming begin). I just wasn't leaving with low front brakes to save a few bucks going to my local gas station. I qualified for credit anyway that they offer and so I had them do the job and with the oil change and tire rotation I'm $700 lighter. Yeah, yeah I know I should learn how to do these things but again I'm good with installing emblems and decals that's about all. I was surprised to need brakes, on a 6MT at 42K since I purchased the car in 2018 with 12K on the clock. I've read where folks here on the forum were getting well into the triple digits on original pads. The car did feel a lot better on the way home but my pocket is a lot lighter..........

·
Registered
607 Posts
Was at the dealership today getting routine maintenance done (Oil change + Tire Rotation) and as part of their check I specifically asked them to check my brakes because Mavis Tire had told me that my fronts were shot 2000 miles ago so wouldn't you know it the front pads were down to 2 mils while the rear pads had 6 mils remaining. Long and short of it I had them change the front pads and rotors for $579, which included the labor of course (let the flaming begin). I just wasn't leaving with low front brakes to save a few bucks going to my local gas station. I qualified for credit anyway that they offer and so I had them do the job and with the oil change and tire rotation I'm $700 lighter. Yeah, yeah I know I should learn how to do these things but again I'm good with installing emblems and decals that's about all. I was surprised to need brakes, on a 6MT at 42K since I purchased the car in 2018 with 12K on the clock. I've read where folks here on the forum were getting well into the triple digits on original pads. The car did feel a lot better on the way home but my pocket is a lot lighter..........
Did you even check the pads before saying yes? If not, smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Corolla S 6/Spd
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I didn't ask for the old pads but I knew by the pedal travel and the other shop telling and showing me the pad wear I knew that eventually they would need changing I just didn't anticipate doing them today.....

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think Brake life depends on where you live. My daughter has 110K miles on her car and the front pads are just over half worn. But we don't have the rusting / corrosion problems in PHX that you do in NY. That has to shorten the life IMO.

·
Registered
2013 Toyota Corolla 1.6 Multidrive S Premium
29 Posts
Brake pads lifetime changes according to your driving style and where you drive.
But, in the last decade, especially in the last 5 years, brake pads are made softer because they dont contain Asbestos to make them enviroment friendly. so brake pads lifetime has shortened.

I have 2013 Corolla with automatic transmission.
I had to change front brake pads at 32K kms and rear brake pads at 45K kms.

as a result, 42K (kms or miles) can be accepted as normal.

·
Registered
2016 Corolla S 6/Spd
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interesting insight regarding climate and asbestos. Thank you!!

·
Registered
2001 Camry LE
1,167 Posts
Folks who get over 100K on a set of brakes are usually driving almost all highway miles. Mixed city and highway, 42K sounds about right.

Reactions: pewtavert01

·
Registered
95 Posts
Like a few others mentioned, it all comes down to driving style, city or highway miles. It's odd that your OEM brakes didn't last that long, even with a manual trans. Keep the slide pins lubed. Most get upwards of 90K miles+.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I live in a warm climate (HI) and I still have original brakes at 170k miles front and rear. Mine is a manual though. I also have my brake fluid changed every 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (APR Stage 1, Neuspeed P-flow/wheels)
405 Posts
You're from Staten Island... that explains it. Mostly stop and go traffic, that really wears down the pads a lot quicker than someone from say Upstate NY, (no I not referring to Yonkers, real upstate, north of Albany) that will see more highway traffic and less brakes being used. They can rack up the miles.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,431 Posts
When I was younger I learned how to do maintenance by using a Haynes manual. Changing brake pads is simple and quick and if you didn't get into the rotor you could have just changed the pads. With YouTube available now anyone can quickly learn how to change the pads. Here is a video I made when I changed the pads and rotors on my 2009 Corolla S Turbo 5MT. At 104k miles I still had 50% on my OEM pads but I wanted better braking performance so I installed some slotted EBC rotors and Redstuff pads. The improvement was amazing and the cost was much less since I did it myself. Don't be afraid to learn how to do some work and YouTube can be your best friend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts