Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to grease my universals today and seen there is a rip in the rubber boot over the slip joint (front drive shaft) . The truck is an 09 do you think i will have a problem with warranty?

·
Supercharged '07 DC 4x4
890 Posts
May depend on your dealership and their perceived loyalty of you to them. Most likely they will tell you it is wear and tear and I think that would be hard to argue against. A new CV boot kit is $30 new. Not too hard of a job, just messy. Regardless, take care of it ASAP so it is only a boot replacement...a ruined CV joint would be around $400 in parts.

·
Registered
273 Posts
May depend on your dealership and their perceived loyalty of you to them. Most likely they will tell you it is wear and tear and I think that would be hard to argue against. A new CV boot kit is $30 new. Not too hard of a job, just messy. Regardless, take care of it ASAP so it is only a boot replacement...a ruined CV joint would be around $400 in parts.
I think OP's talking about the slip joint boot on the front drive shaft, not a CV joint on a front axle. If it's what I'm thinking about it's just in front of the carrier bearing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just 25K on the truck. yes its the front drive shaft boot!! dealer says that you can just buy the boot you have to get the hole shaft!! Going in to get them to take a look at it later today.. :headbang:

·
Registered
273 Posts
just 25K on the truck. yes its the front drive shaft boot!! dealer says that you can just buy the boot you have to get the hole shaft!! Going in to get them to take a look at it later today.. :headbang:
That's amazing...I'm sure there's a source for the boot alone. Just have to find it.

This might be one source...

http://www.rubberstore.com/catalog/connectors-c-21_23_30.html

If warranty takes care of it, though, let them replace the whole propeller shaft!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well. I was in to the stealership this afternoon. They said that they will have to send the claim to Toyota for review to find out if its covered.
I have a feeling i will be installing a new aftermarket boot my self.... O how i love my stealership:headbang:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Any pics yet Doyle?

Why are you doing your own greasing anyway? I figured that would be part of Toyota's maintenance program where they record it for warranty purposes.

I will try and drop over tomorrow...or vis versa if you want!

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
Any pics yet Doyle?

Why are you doing your own greasing anyway? I figured that would be part of Toyota's maintenance program where they record it for warranty purposes.

I usually grease half way through the oil change interval. I change my oil at 8,000 kms as per the maintenance schedule. I'll hit the universal joints with grease around the 4,000 km mark and they are always quite dry and take a fair bit of grease before it starts oozing from the bearing caps.

Another tip in our climate, make sure your rear diff breather is clear and able to vent the rear end. I usually do this every time I grease as well. There is a little cap on the breather, just give it a few turns by hand and you'll feel the difference when it clears itself out. The alternative of course is to leave it alone and have to replace the pinion seal due to excess pressure inside the diff. Even worse is the rear side axle seals that are a major pain, and usually require the replacement of your rear brake shoes as well due to oil contamination.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I thought if the rear axle bearing seal let go to leak gear oil all over the brakes it meant the inner seal was gone as well and the bearing is junk? It looked to me like the rear bearing is not lubricated by the rear diff gear oil. Has seals on both sides and grease in the bearing.

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
I thought if the rear axle bearing seal let go to leak gear oil all over the brakes it meant the inner seal was gone as well and the bearing is junk? It looked to me like the rear bearing is not lubricated by the rear diff gear oil. Has seals on both sides and grease in the bearing.
Can't comment on the bearing being junk, but excess pressure in the rear diff due to a clogged vent can cause the excess pressure to be vented through the seals, typically ruining them.

Had both my rear side axle seals replaced under warranty a few years back.

·
Supercharged '07 DC 4x4
890 Posts
I think OP's talking about the slip joint boot on the front drive shaft, not a CV joint on a front axle. If it's what I'm thinking about it's just in front of the carrier bearing.
Makes sense...I figured it was the CV since that is much more common and the FSM refers to CVs as "front drive shafts." Cheers :chug:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any pics yet Doyle?

I do my own greasing because i have the four free oil changes that came with the warranty but it does not cover greasing!! They charge extra for that, like $26 so i do it myself.
post the pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well its over a 2 weeks now.. The truck was supposed to go in on Tuesday for the new shaft. but the parts are still not in!!! :headbang:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts