Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lamin-X Films makes a precut emblem cover. Super easy to install, just clean the surface, stick it on, then trim the tabs. You can reapply as many times as you need until you get it right. Comes in a bunch of colors, I went with gunsmoke and all the sensors still work.
Here's a link to the product:
Also here's a link to 20% off Lamin-X Films products!

·
Registered
737 Posts
The attachment is a page from the gen 5 RAV4 owners manual.

To avoid malfunction of the radar sensor.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The attachment is a page from the gen 5 RAV4 owners manual.

View attachment 308475
Hey that's a good point! I always forget that it might not be common knowledge so perhaps I should mention that like with most aftermarket accesories, there is the chance of voiding a warranty if there's an issue related to the part you're modifying. So if you're looking to follow the manual to a T, or you're worried about every single warranty, this might not suit you. But if you're looking to customize your vehicle to your liking, then you should definitely consider this product. Just posting this to educate people on the options they have

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hey that's a good point! I always forget that it might not be common knowledge so perhaps I should mention that like with most aftermarket accesories, there is the chance of voiding a warranty if there's an issue related to the part you're modifying. So if you're looking to follow the manual to a T, or you're worried about every single warranty, this might not suit you. But if you're looking to customize your vehicle to your liking, then you should definitely consider this product. Just posting this to educate people on the options they have
This isn't about warranties. It's about safety. This Toyota emblem is in front of the radar sensor which is part of the automatic emergency braking and adaptive cruise control systems. Toyota emblems on vehicles with the radar units is made from a special material and cost far more than the emblems for vehicles that do not have radar units. That has become a moot point since the radar unit has become standard equipment.

Attaching foreign objects in front of vehicle radar units have been known to cause erratic operation or complete failure of the automatic emergency braking and adaptive cruise control systems. Having been involved in product liability lawsuits, I've very surprised that a company would sell a product like this that conflicts with a car maker's warning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[/QUOT
This isn't about warranties. It's about safety. This Toyota emblem is in front of the radar sensor which is part of the automatic emergency braking and adaptive cruise control systems. Toyota emblems on vehicles with the radar units is made from a special material and cost far more than the emblems for vehicles that do not have radar units. That has become a moot point since the radar unit has become standard equipment.

Attaching foreign objects in front of vehicle radar units have been known to cause erratic operation or complete failure of the automatic emergency braking and adaptive cruise control systems. Having been involved in product liability lawsuits, I've very surprised that a company would sell a product like this that conflicts with a car maker's warning.
Of course! The safest bet is to never do anything to your vehicle. Im doing this for aestetics. I understand about the possibility of affecting the sensors but I'm not reliant on those features for my safety. My previous vehicle was a 1995 pathfinder so I learned how to drive safely without all the fancy stuff. Anyways, the LTA and ACC, still function with this emblem cover which is good enough for me and if it starts acting erratic I can easily remove it. Pretty much boils down to personal comfort levels. Like I said, this post is to educate people on the options they have but its up to you to do your own research and figure out what your comfortable doing. I would always recommend people do their own research before buying and installing anything. This post is for people who want to modify their emblem cover. If this was a post about the safest way to own and operate a vehicle it would just be pictures of the manual lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts