Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Curious about your opinions on Front End Masks/Bras. Pro's and Con's. I just picked up a mint 2003 Camry LE. Low Mileage and Mint condition. I drive a lot to and from work so I bought the Camry for it's dependability and reliability. Of course I'd like to keep it healthy as long as possible.

That's where the bra comes in. With all the highway driving I do I feel an investment of $60-$100 is worth it if it keeps the paint on the front end from being killed by gravel and such. My dilemma is my past experience with Car Bras in the past.

The last time I used a car bra with 20 years ago on my new 1984 Camaro. I'm not sure if bras weren't as good back then or maybe the paint jobs weren't good, but it was a disaster. No matter how clean I tried to keep the bra, it managed to still scratch the paint under the bra. It also trapped water and eventually lead to rusting problems in the area the bra was suppose to protect.

So, is bying a bra nowadays a better deal. If so, would you all suggest the basic LeBra for around $60 or go for a Colgan which is suppose to be one of the best for closer to $100. Buying a "TOYOTA" brand is just silly for $175 justy so you can have the emblem. Plus it's probably not as good as the Colgan, Wolf, Covercraft, or LeBra. So, any input... Thx... Mike....

·
Banning is an art.
1992 Camry V6 LE
3,267 Posts
I think you'll still have the same problem with bras like you did 20 years ago. It'll probably get discoloured, etc underneath it for sure.

If anything, try that 3M Clear bra which is just like clear tape on the bumper...and use a hood deflector? I use a hood deflectort on my Gen 5 Camry as well as on my Accord.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
I'd say just get a deflector.....

getting chips and the like on the front of the car is normal wear and tear, and usually doesn't amount to much rust or whatnot unless you get big chips out of your paint

you can get rust as you mentioned underneath cuz you don't know what's going on under there, the car looks ugly w/ a mask, and after a couple of years you may see a color difference between the paint w/ the mask, and w/o

·
Ford Powered
1999 Ford Mustang
439 Posts
i say go with neither, but thats why my hood looks like it went through a hailstorm and needs repainting.

·
nub
313 Posts
i have one on my car just because i dont have time to both take it off and wash it all, however there is no noticeable color difference. but there is a good sized rust spot right at one corner of my bra, i assume it came from water trapped in the bra.

i'd leave it.

·
Registered
Camry
91 Posts
Silver Streak said:
I think you'll still have the same problem with bras like you did 20 years ago. It'll probably get discoloured, etc underneath it for sure.

If anything, try that 3M Clear bra which is just like clear tape on the bumper...and use a hood deflector? I use a hood deflectort on my Gen 5 Camry as well as on my Accord.
I 2nd that-- my dad has one of those clear bras on his G35... works great

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
Front end masks are great - if used right. I had one on my celica n it did leave some marks (nothing a clay bar and a good wax job coudn't remove if you ask me). Bottom line, when you clean your car, you got to remove the mask - if you know its going to rain, then remove the mask. Every two months, hose down the inner side of the mask (i use small detergent and a hand scrubber to remove anything extra..if any..and mostly to amek the underneatch white again). If used right, the bra WORKS. (i have on my 94 Es and it looks stunning). If your head goes in your shoulders (ie. if your ashamed of a mask), then get the clear ones (i'd get those too..but they are just too expensive - last i check for my solara, a thickest 3m one, front fumper, upper hood, and mirrors costed close to 570 installed. Maybe in the future...not now for me. I'd much happier spending 130 for OEM ones. If your not driving a lot, then forget about it...i add close to 30K miles per year!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts