Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2012 Camry SE I4 - N.C.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little while ago, I noticed when driving at a high speed, my front end/tires would shake and I would also hear a whoo whoo noise at a slow speed when going thru my neighborhood. . So 2 weeks ago, I took it to the Toyota Dealership and they said I had some cupping in the tires. On the front set of tires, they crossed them and said that resolved the problem and I should notice a difference. Since I had a good amount of tread left, they said keep riding on your tires until it's time to get new ones. But I still heard the noise and felt the tires shake, just not as much.

With my OCD and since I drive about 70 miles a day, I went ahead and purchased Goodyear tires for the front. The shaking almost went away but I still heard the whoo whoo when going thru my neighborhood. So I purchased tires for the back and the whoo whoo went away. They told me there was definitely cupping in the back tires and I had the front tires balanced again to see if that resolved the shaking and noise from the front. NADA!! Didn't fix it.

When could be causing the front wheel to shake/vibrate? I'm thinking it could be any number of things. (i.e. need to turn rotors, ball joint)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

FYI...About 2 years ago, I had the wheel bearing replaced, so it's not that. The dealer also said it's not the wheel bearing.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Bad alignment, worn suspension components, tired struts, bad bearing, wheel runout, tire runout, cv joint....

Start with a diagnostic wheel balance.... like the Hunter RoadForce

How many miles?

·
2012 Camry SE I4 - N.C.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad alignment, worn suspension components, tired struts, bad bearing, wheel runout, tire runout, cv joint....

Start with a diagnostic wheel balance.... like the Hunter RoadForce

How many miles?
Thanks for the info. Everything that you've listed could be the problem. I'm thinking struts. It has 80K.

When I brought the car almost 4yrs ago, I purchased the Gold+ Warranty, so everything that you've listed is currently covered under the warranty.(y)

I have an appointment on Monday with the dealership. I'll let you know what they say it is.

What is wheel / tire runout?

·
AutoBravado
1,554 Posts
Bad struts are usually the cause of tires getting cupped. I'm surprised this hasn't come up during the discussion with your garage.

·
2012 Camry SE I4 - N.C.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bad struts are usually the cause of tires getting cupped. I'm surprised this hasn't come up during the discussion with your garage.
That leads me to believe they really didn't look into the noise I was hearing and just wanted to sell me a set of new tires. But you best believe that when I go into there on Monday morning, I'll let them know I will not accept anything less than this issue being resolved.

I'm leaning more to it being a strut issue. I'm glad that's covered under the extended warranty (Fidelity Gold+ warranty)

I wonder if anyone else on this forum, used the Fidelity warranty coverage regarding suspension? I used it one other time on my door locks.

·
AutoBravado
1,554 Posts
That leads me to believe they really didn't look into the noise I was hearing and just wanted to sell me a set of new tires. But you best believe that when I go into there on Monday morning, I'll let them know I will not accept anything less than this issue being resolved.

I'm leaning more to it being a strut issue. I'm glad that's covered under the extended warranty (Fidelity Gold+ warranty)

I wonder if anyone else on this forum, used the Fidelity warranty coverage regarding suspension? I used it one other time on my door locks.
A lot of shops don't understand what types of tire wear mean what I found it difficult to learn until I found better mentors. It's actually very complicated.

What the easiest way to get rid of cupped tires? Replace them. The new ones may not cup for a while. If you had fixed the cause the tires would still be cupped and run poorly.

I'm glad you're after the issue right away so that your new tires aren't damaged by the same problem. Some shops give a hard time about warrantying cupped tires...the true warranty is from the manufacturer and if they see what happened to the old tires or found out, they're likely to not stand behind them as they're a symptom of another problem.

I realize cupped tires are another symptom, but they're a symptom of a symptom.

·
2012 Camry SE I4 - N.C.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A lot of shops don't understand what types of tire wear mean what I found it difficult to learn until I found better mentors. It's actually very complicated.

What the easiest way to get rid of cupped tires? Replace them. The new ones may not cup for a while. If you had fixed the cause the tires would still be cupped and run poorly.

I'm glad you're after the issue right away so that your new tires aren't damaged by the same problem. Some shops give a hard time about warrantying cupped tires...the true warranty is from the manufacturer and if they see what happened to the old tires or found out, they're likely to not stand behind them as they're a symptom of another problem.

Took my car to the Toyota dealership this morning and they are saying that I have a bad tire (flat spot). I find that hard to believe since this is new tire and the previous tire had the exact same issue and same location (passenger front). I call BS on this this. How can they diagnosis the problem within 20 minutes? There's no way they can look at the struts, wheel bearings, ball joints and etc. within 20 minutes.

·
2012 Camry SE I4 - N.C.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Did the shop check for a bent rim as the possible source of a "flat-spotted" tire?
Yes they did. I spoke with the service mgr and explained to him these are new tires and if I'm getting a flat spot, there's something underlying here that's causing this problem. The service mgr said he'll look into it and call me back.

About 4 hrs later the service mgr called and said the car is fine and he couldn't find a flat spot. He also said he drove it for about 15-20 miles and heard more road noise then anything. He said the small vibration is due to the change in pavement and road conditions. There was also a small adjustment made to the alignment. He said if I still notice the issue, then please bring it back and we'll look at it again.

Drove home yesterday and it seems to ride a little better but still a little vibration on the passenger front. I personally thinks it's a strut, bearing, ball joint or suspension issue.
I'm going to see how it rides for the next couple of days and go from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts