Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2013 Avalon handed to me to drive and do whatever with it except sell it. Honestly I think the front grill is super ugly and wanted to know your guys' opinions. Ugly or not? Also does anyone know how I could like make any front end aesthetic modifications to change the look? Thanks

·
PJSMITH
1,613 Posts
I had that sentiment for a few days. I suggest...
Look around at the newer models. Look at and Audi or Lexus or almost any other manufacturer for how big and ugly the front ends are this year. I rarely see the front of the car so it's no longer a problem.
And since I have more thoughts about practical use and longevity, I have 94K miles and never have had a heating or cooling issue on my hybrid and have had no events of mechanical failure or problem. I do the Toyota recommended maintenence and had a few extra oil changes after a very long cross country drive or dirty drive and change the engine and cabin filters with NAPA equivalent (5 minutes to change).

·
Registered
2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Canadian version) W/Premium Package
253 Posts
Have a look at the gen 5 new member thread. 99% of pics they don't have one of the front. Looks ugly as hell. I prefer the whale mouth on my 2013. Some love the look of the industrial cage grill on the newer model. I like the look of the gen 5 from sides and back... walk around the front and holy.
I don't think there's much middle ground. You love them or hate them or in your case if it's free then as long as it rides well... Be happy. It's a lot sweeter looking than the bowler hat from pervious years but the comfort was lost when they redesigned it. Starting with the 2013 Gen 4 it's an American design and American build to attract a younger generation. Big 3 "quality" in a Japanese car. Read the threads on the headliner and then the seats. Be interesting to see how many make it past 20 years. I love the look of my black gal.
But the gen 4 definitely has a big mouth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have a look at the gen 5 new member thread. 99% of pics they don't have one of the front. Looks ugly as hell. I prefer the whale mouth on my 2013. Some love the look of the industrial cage grill on the newer model. I like the look of the gen 5 from sides and back... walk around the front and holy.
I don't think there's much middle ground. You love them or hate them or in your case if it's free then as long as it rides well... Be happy. It's a lot sweeter looking than the bowler hat from pervious years but the comfort was lost when they redesigned it. Starting with the 2013 Gen 4 it's an American design and American build to attract a younger generation. Big 3 "quality" in a Japanese car. Read the threads on the headliner and then the seats. Be interesting to see how many make it past 20 years. I love the look of my black gal.
But the gen 4 definitely has a big mouth.
Idk I actually prefer the Gen 5 to the Gen 4’s the thing with the older models if that you could actually swap them out with a lexus grill and front if you wanted to. There doesn’t seem to be something like that for the Gen 4s

·
Registered
253 Posts
Idk I actually prefer the Gen 5 to the Gen 4’s the thing with the older models if that you could actually swap them out with a lexus grill and front if you wanted to. There doesn’t seem to be something like that for the Gen 4s
That can be frustrating. I'd be happy just being able to get parts for it here in Canada. I don't know what the sales numbers are but this one sat in the lot of a big mega dealership for a year after arriving in 03/2013. At least you're in the states. There's actually salvage parts and EBay sure I can search for hours and order from Ebay... but everything on the Canadian site is only available from the states. pay more than the parts cost in shipping to here.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I got a 2013 Avalon handed to me to drive and do whatever with it except sell it. Honestly I think the front grill is super ugly and wanted to know your guys' opinions. Ugly or not? Also does anyone know how I could like make any front end aesthetic modifications to change the look? Thanks
the avalon is huge, it's not slickest car on the road but been known for riliablity. if u're still in school, keep it drive it out till u graduate, get a real paying job then upgrade or just keep it as a spare car . if u have a good old car, keep it cause u get almost nothing selling it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the avalon is huge, it's not slickest car on the road but been known for riliablity. if u're still in school, keep it drive it out till u graduate, get a real paying job then upgrade or just keep it as a spare car . if u have a good old car, keep it cause u get almost nothing selling it.
yeah I mean it is an efficient car but I really wish it didn’t have that grill

·
Registered
935 Posts
When I first saw my 2013 Avalon Limited V6 I thought the grill was too large and wondered why the stylists in Japan thought that it was a good look. However, each successive year has seen the grill get bigger and weirder until now my 2013 grill looks positively petite in comparison and I now think it looks good. There are some features in the current 2021 Avalons that I would like to have, but I will not upgrade because I don't want to drive a car that I consider to be downright fugly.

Robert N.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I first saw my 2013 Avalon Limited V6 I thought the grill was too large and wondered why the stylists in Japan thought that it was a good look. However, each successive year has seen the grill get bigger and weirder until now my 2013 grill kooks positively petite in comparison and I now think it looks good. There are some features in the current 2021 Avalons that I would like to have, but I will not upgrade because I don't want to drive a car that I consider to be downright fugly.

Robert N.
Interesting. I actually think the 2021 avalons look better because the grill is connected to the logo area. The space between the grill and the logo in the 2013 avalon makes it look weirder

·
Registered
253 Posts
When I first saw my 2013 Avalon Limited V6 I thought the grill was too large and wondered why the stylists in Japan thought that it was a good look. However, each successive year has seen the grill get bigger and weirder until now my 2013 grill kooks positively petite in comparison and I now think it looks good. There are some features in the current 2021 Avalons that I would like to have, but I will not upgrade because I don't want to drive a car that I consider to be downright fugly.

Robert N.
Sorry to pee on your "blame the Japs" for that one parade. The 2013 was the first MY of the gen 4 and the first to be designed by American engineers. The look and style inside and out and the headliner and shitty painful seats likely the same dumb ass American Engineers. And yes I totally agree that the newer ones make ours look really small and personal tastes vary but the newer ones are as you say are really fugly. I'm guessing that cross hatch grill is to keep birds from wrecking your A/C. I can imagine the engine warm up time in -30C temperatures. Can only imagine the bugs those things swallow up. Like I said... it looks great till you see the front and think: what the f*** has the world become.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Sorry to pee on your "blame the Japs" for that one parade. The 2013 was the first MY of the gen 4 and the first to be designed by American engineers. The look and style inside and out and the headliner and shitty painful seats likely the same dumb ass American Engineers. And yes I totally agree that the newer ones make ours look really small and personal tastes vary but the newer ones are as you say are really fugly. I'm guessing that cross hatch grill is to keep birds from wrecking your A/C. I can imagine the engine warm up time in -30C temperatures. Can only imagine the bugs those things swallow up. Like I said... it looks great till you see the front and think: what the f*** has the world become.
I did some research and confirmed your observation—the 4th generation Avalon was indeed designed in the U.S. by Ian Cartabiano and Kevin Hunter and not in Japan, as I had erroneously written. (For some reason, my original post is not visible in this thread on my iPad, although it is there on my computer.)

Robert N.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,717 Posts
The 2019+ Gen 5 looks bigger, but based on my personal feelings and dimensions it has less usable interior space, the same as the Gen 7 Camry vs Gen 8 Camry. Somehow Toyota managed to make a bigger car smaller. :) The Gen 4 Avy looks smaller cuz of "ovalish" smooth bodylines, but all mine 6'3" feel roomier inside of the Gen 4.
Also, I never liked the Gen 4 catfish mouth much, but compared to the Gen 5 predator face the Gen 4 front definitely looks better and even stylish.

·
Registered
2015 Touring Avalon
11 Posts
I just bought my 4th gen and I like the front end looks. I def wanted the fog lights instead of the ugly black inserts. Just bought some yellow covers for the fog lights and added a chrome license plate cover. I have all the windows tinted with the front windows having a lighter blueish tint. Added the door lights that show Toyota on the ground when opened.

I plan on adding all 4 window side deflectors with a sunroof deflector. Already ordered those parts.
I'm thinking of adding a rear window spoiler and lip trunk spoiler. Maybe, I'll start a thread about my add ons.

·
PJSMITH
1,613 Posts
We always like to see what other owners do to personalize their Avalons

Reactions: FreemanAvalon

·
Registered
2016 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (APR Stage 1, Neuspeed P-flow/wheels)
515 Posts
Looks fine to me. Especially compared to the current one with its mouth wide open

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well for me being in Canada and everything for a Toyota being 4x the price as you guys pay for parts and accessories. I think my Gal is not going to be getting any special treatment aside from what needs to be done to keep it running. Tires will be swapped back and forth on the one set of OEM wheels since I'm not putting out 2K for reconditioned rims and after speaking with a car upholstery guy seems that the headliner frayed POS is going to be a DIY shitty hack job so it doesn't get worse. He said any glue attempt just won't work. Adding up all the costs to resolve all the "GM with a Toyota emblem" issues is not reasonable for a car that just doesn't come close to the Toyota reliability that it built it's reputation and price tag on. So I regret buying the car based on all these and other MY redesign issues. It's prettier than the 2007 my bud had but doesn't com anywhere close to it in comfort and smooth quiet ride. Even finding high density foam to resolve the major seat issue is a PITA. And, of all the design flaws what moron decided that the back seats should be fixed and not fold down like previous years? So it will most likely be treated same as the quality that was put into it. Modest at best. Hopefully get some years out of it without putting too much money to keep it safe and working. But I've pretty much given up on special treatments and expensive mods.

·
Premium Member
2014 Avalon Limited
374 Posts
Welcome Freeman The one thing with the gen 4 Avalon's is they are very low to the ground in the front. Looks like someone dogged a bullet with that parking lot (pictured).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts