Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Camry
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have a '07 Camry LE with 46,xxx miles that is in need of a front hub replacement. I was wondering how difficult the job is? and whether the steering knuckle needs to be pulled, tie rod disconnect to do the job?

Thanks
Way

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Yes, the knuckle will have to come off. I will tell you that if you do do the hub, you will need a new bearing as well. I'm not a tech, so I don't know how difficult that will be, I think also that it will be a matter of having the correct tools. You may even need an alignment after that.

I offer TN members 30% off MSRP plus shipping and $1.00 - $2.00 for materials etc. MSRP on the hub is $138.19, TN member price is $96.73 and the bearins is $73.79 MSRP, TN member price is $51.65.

Good luck to you and I hope what little information I provided serves you well. If you need anything, even if it isn't parts related, don't hesitate to contact me.

Hello
I have a '07 Camry LE with 46,xxx miles that is in need of a front hub replacement. I was wondering how difficult the job is? and whether the steering knuckle needs to be pulled, tie rod disconnect to do the job?

Thanks
Way

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Yes, you sure could, you can also spend that $21.73 for shipping and they don't even know where you live. I only charge actual shipping costs.

But whether you buy from me or not, I am always in here just about everyday. Feel free to ask me questions, or if you need information, etc. just give me a shout. I am in here to offer my experience and share the information that I have and not just a parts sale, anyone can do that. If I don't know the answer, I'll tell you and try to find it out.

Good luck whatever you decide

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Now that we know how to find the part for cheap the real question is still lingering. What happened that you need to replace a hub???

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Very good question, I just assumed he had it diagnosed and was inquiring on how difficult.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
I'm thinking that short of a collision, you might never have a need to replace a hub, but then they have spare parts for those times when you can't imagine why you would need that part but do.....

·
Registered
2007 Camry
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression that the Hub was a contained unit but sounds like I will be needing only to replace the bearings.

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Depending on the why, I just asked one of our techs and he said that if the tolerances are off just slightly on that hub, you'll have trouble latter. If you really want to do it right, replace both the hub and bearing together. There may be a slight grove from the race of the bearing on the hub, if that is the case, the new bearing will not sit right and you will have trouble latter. I have seen this, before. The money you think you'll be saving on not buying the hub, will cost you in the long run. Unless you have a full blown shop, that bearing has to be pressed off and the pressed back on the hub.

I urge you to SERIOUSLY consider this advice and save yourself time and headache, just replace the hub and bearing together. Take it from someone who see's this day in and day out. I know others in here may disagree with me, and some may have done it without doing the hub and gotten lucky, but the percentages of those that didn't and had to do it again only to have to replace the bearing and hub again(once the bearing is pressed on, it can't be reused) far outweigh those that have gotten lucky.

If you go to any dealer or independent, they will more likely tell you to replace the hub and bearing as a unit and there is a reason for it. In fact, I'd be surprised if any place would do just the bearing and then guarntee the work.

As I have stated I offer discounts to TN members, but wherever you buy them from, and whether you purchase them from me or not, please, do replace them TOGETHER.

Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression that the Hub was a contained unit but sounds like I will be needing only to replace the bearings.

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
Is this damage related?? If not, then it should be covered under powertrain warranty.

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Powertrain warranty is 5 years or 60,000 from date of first use just as JSM1284 has mentioned, if it isn't damaged related, should be covered under New Car Warranty.

·
Registered
2007 Camry
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
problem is not damage related. Am getting front end noise (drone/rotational sounding) coming from the drivers side.

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Not sure what it could be, but we have had some complaints about a brake squeek noise. The TSB# is BR008-06. You may just want to get it checked out to see what it acutally is.

problem is not damage related. Am getting front end noise (drone/rotational sounding) coming from the drivers side.

·
Registered
2007 Camry
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While under warranty, had TSB 0106-08 performed. Could a bad tire also cause noise?

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
Could be a tire, But if its the hub/bearing, its covered under warranty.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very good question, I just assumed he had it diagnosed and was inquiring on how difficult.
Hello. My car ('02 Toyota Camry LE auto 2.4) was diagnosed today as of needing a hub bearing (front driver side and I just changed both front sway bar links and control arm bars[DORMAN]) which is actually called a wheel bearing I presume. That being said why is that I'm reading that that is rarely in need of change? I also have to change the rear sway bar links. There's another long bar adjacent to these bars but my mechanic didn't know the exact name of it in English (he's Vietnamese) too well and its loose as well.
What is the best hub bearing set? The same for the rear sway bar links?
I've had an alignment already. Will I need to redo this as well?

·
イリジウム
13,585 Posts

·
12 Camry LE
236 Posts
I was under the impression if you buy the hub it comes with the bearing? Sometimes they do , didnt know they were sold without them lol...Even if you replace just the bearing Its usually easier to buy the hub and bearing as one and install it together than just trying to do one or the other..

If you do one side you should do the other side...Just a recommendation..also do an alignment...

It could be a tire...I would put the car on a lift in Neutral and spin the tires to check for defects you can also check the bearings while its in the air...be sure the car is secure while on the floor as you dont want it to roll into a tool box or out the bay into cars lol...Does the sound go away if you turn to one side or the other? when do you hear the sound and at what speeds? How old are the tires?

I honestly thought I had a bad rear passenger bearing for about a month....had tires rotated balanced everything...after closer inspection of the tire it had a bubble....put full size spare on...then 2 more tires got bubbles right after that...lol so ended up buying four new tires to replace them. sound went away :) so its very possible..

Id check with the dealer 1st and see if they can cover it as a defective part under the powertrain warranty..If not just complain till they do...it has less than 50,000 miles

Reactions: mommafrica

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd recommend a Timken bearing and hub kit for $70.79+shipping. You'll need two kits if replacing both sides. Use the 5% discount code: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...084-rockauto-discount-code-9.html#post6026730

Also take a look at this DIY, yours similar: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/107-camry-solara-lounge/255035-diy-front-wheel-bearing-r-r.html

Is he saying one of these adjustable trailing arms? $41.79+shipping.
EXACTLY! That's the bar! Shouldn't this be changed at the same time with the hub bearings kit? And when changing the hub bearings is it best to change both sides? Mechanic said I only need the drivers side. I always seem to get a problem trying to order online with Rock Auto.

·
12 Camry LE
236 Posts
with low mileage you should be ok with just one...its just recommended to do both sides....specially if miles are higher....chances are if one goes the other isnt far behind it so to speak...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts