Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, when my wife and I drove to the grocery store, she found that her door wont open. After much effort trying to open the door, she had to get out through the driver's side.

The door locks/unlocks normally but the unlatch handles -both inside and outside- seem to only go half way before it feels like something is stopping the movement.

Are there any ideas on what might be causing the handles to get stuck or how to open this door any other way?

Also, it seems nearly impossible to take off the door panel while this door is stuck in the closed position. Are there any methods to remove this panel or parts of it to gain access to the lock mechanism inside? I hope I don't have to destroy this panel to gain access inside.

Thx in advance!

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Could it be frozen? What is the weather like? Have you had freezing rain or rain that later froze in the lock?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it couldn't be frozen. It's been unusually warm here - above freezing - for this time of the year here in T-dot for a few days now. Also, the door problem happened suddenly while on a short trip to the store.

Just gotta find out if there's any other way to get inside the panel with the door stuck closed.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Can't do it without tearing the stuff apart. All I can think to do is to have someone outside pull the door handle lightly while your inside pulling that door handle and lightly pounding the door. Try that if you haven't already. I'm lost on this one.

BTW, I have most internal and interior trim parts for a Front Pass door from a Gen 3 for sale fairly cheap if you end up needing any. That includes the entire lock assembly too. Let me know when you get this sucker open. Which is hopefully soon.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Weld all the doors shut, paint the number "1" on the doors and enter/exit through the windows...

On a more serious note, you will not be able to remove the door panel without getting the door open. There are screws and clips that you need to get to on the sides and near the bottom that aren't accessable when the door is closed.

It sounds like something broke off and got jammed inside if you can only pull the door handles part way before it stops.

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
Just another option- not saying it's the best one. The outside door handle is plastic. If you can get one cheap enough you can use a chisel or similar object to knock it out and you MAY be able to move the rod to unlock the door that way. This would save the interior door panel which can't be painted to match. I did this recently when the outer door handle broke and the rod got jammed. With the door open you can remove the interior panel and replace whatever is needed to repair the door. I got my parts (rods, clips, etc.) at a salvage yard. Can't guarantee this will work for you as I don't know what's jamming your door shut.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
^ And like I said in my above post, your in luck if you got a beige car. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts