Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Im new to this forum and wanted to share my experience and hopefully get some insight from those who may have had a similar problem with their avalon.
Here's my info:
2013 Avalon Touring purchased new.
108,000 miles

I've recently noticed a popping sound coming from the front wheel(passenger side) whenever the suspension iscompressed while braking and then again when the brakes are released under acceleration I took it to my dealer and was told 'everything is tight'.

The noise was still there and a couple weeks later and i took it back.
They then told me the strut assembly needed to be replaced, which they did and also did an alignment costing me 719 dollars. 1 day after picking up the car, the noise returned. I did have them do a brake job with new rotors prior to hearing the noise and wonder if it's a brake/caliper thing and not a suspension thing. I, of course, put a call into the service manager to complain, but thought i would throw this out there if anyone has any suggestions as to what is causing this noise.

Thanks

·
14TAH Touring 10 TundraDC
2014 TAH Touring
397 Posts
Somewhere I saw a Toyota Service Bulletin regarding a cure for a popping noise from within the rocker panels. It involved removing a small section(grinding?) overlapping body sheet metal that was binding and popping inside the rocker panel and adding a coating. Sorry I can't recall where I saw the TSB but it might have been one of the "service bulletin" websites. Google or ask your dealer. I'm not sure if it had a warranty limit but you might be able to get a good will fix or split the cost, or do the mod yourself if it is your problem. As I recall it was more prevalent in colder weather.

Good luck fixing your popping noise.

·
PJSMITH
1,525 Posts
Rocker panels tech repair is here somewhere.

You said FRONT noise. The calipers are "floating " and I had a Volvo that frequently would have a quiet clunk when brakes on and then off and acceleration.

Try to figure if it's lower front of rocker or forward near the brakes.

Take a friend and sit in the passenger seat with the window down, might help ID the location.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer replaced the control arm and bushing and that seemed to do the trick. Haven't heard the noise after having the car back for 2 days. Dealer waived the 1500.00 charge since I had already spent 719.00 for the strut.

Bill

·
Registered
40 Posts
You mentioned that they replaced your strut assembly.. did they also replace the strut mount and bearing or no? strut mounts are usually the culprit for older toyotas.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a similar noise on my 2013 TAHL. I happens just like the OP says, when I come to a stop and when I take off, but it sounds to me more like a knock than a pop, maybe just semantics in trying to describe it. Mine is on the driver's side. I have been all over the car looking at the struts, brakes, etc. The brake and suspension components all look good and I just had a front end inspection and alignment. I sounds to me like the rocker panels or some other body part could be a culprit. Also, the noise only occurs so far when the weather is cold and goes away when the weather is warm or when it rains.

If someone can find the "rocker panels tech repair" reference above, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Dealer replaced the control arm and bushing and that seemed to do the trick. Haven't heard the noise after having the car back for 2 days. Dealer waived the 1500.00 charge since I had already spent 719.00 for the strut.

Bill
Was it the control arm or front stabilizer? Reason I ask is there is the attached TSB for the front stabilizer bushings that I am thinking could be the source of what I am hearing.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts