Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2004 Sienna LE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello...

2004 Sienna LE...

my front passenger power window was stuck down. neither the master switch nor the passenger switch could move it. i was able to raise the window up by hardwiring cables from the battery to the motor. it goes up and down without a problem. so, i suspect a bad switch, but which one? with the window up, i reconnect the passenger side switch and the window instantly goes all the way down without me even pressing the button. nor can i stop the window's descent by operating the switch. when i disconnect the passenger switch, bring the window back up to the top, and connect the master switch, nothing happens even if i press buttons.

am i correct in attributing this to a bad switch? if so, which one? thanks

·
Registered
06 Sienna, 10 Camry
837 Posts
A bad switch sounds likely. I believe the master switch will not operate without the passenger switch attached, which is in line with what you are seeing. Easiest thing to do would be to test continuity on the switch. With nothing pressed you should have continuity between Pin 2 (Black wire, goes to Master) and Pin 1 (Green Wire Goes to Window) and Pin 5 (Red - Light Blue, goes to Master) and Pin 3 (Red, goes to Window). Pin 4 should not have continuity to anything. If it does then you definitely have a bad switch, as that is what is switched to Green for down or Red for up. If that checks out then you may need to check out the master switch.

·
2004 Sienna LE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dandaman...thanks for laying out those tests so that I can easily understand them . I was trying to follow the tests in the repair manual but was not confident in my multimeter so have since bought a new one. Nor was I confident I was finding ground. (for example when i tested resistance, it stayed at 1.) btw, when it says "Body ground", is that the same thing as ground? If so, am i best off connecting to the car battery to ensure certain ground? Or can I connect to, say harness wires 2 and 5, which according to the diagram, says "ground"?

·
Registered
06 Sienna, 10 Camry
837 Posts
Body ground is ground. Find a bolt or unpainted metal on the body, that'll be ground. You can go to the battery if that's easier, though.

The wires 2 and 5 "should" be ground if your switches are working, but I wouldn't use them for general "to ground" measurements. Just find a bolt on the door to use. Easiest thing to do is set your multimeter for continuity and compare the bolt on the door to a known good ground or the battery ground. Once you have that figured out you should be good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello...

2004 Sienna LE...

my front passenger power window was stuck down. neither the master switch nor the passenger switch could move it. i was able to raise the window up by hardwiring cables from the battery to the motor. it goes up and down without a problem. so, i suspect a bad switch, but which one? with the window up, i reconnect the passenger side switch and the window instantly goes all the way down without me even pressing the button. nor can i stop the window's descent by operating the switch. when i disconnect the passenger switch, bring the window back up to the top, and connect the master switch, nothing happens even if i press buttons.

am i correct in attributing this to a bad switch? if so, which one? thanks
Question for you, how did u hardwire the switch to get it to go up and down? I’m trying that rn and getting nowhere. I have power to the switch but no movement

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.