Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Marie the Fox
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience relocating the front plate to the lower side? i know there's kits available but looking under the front bumper theres this styrofoam stuff then a metal ppiece, im not quite sure what to drill into to mount the relocation bracket.

Im going for this sorta look with the front plate

·
Super Moderator
9,421 Posts
You know why they want that plate where it is, right? As it's standard reflective surface for LIDAR.
You want to check with local DMV regulations, if they have a very specific location determined (see WHY above)
If not, what you referring to as a bumper is bumper cover. Styrofoam piece is the bumper shock absorbing covering and the metal piece is bumper proper.
If you are allowed to relocate LP, simple way is to drill 2 new holes in cover itself and secure it in place with 2 self tapping screws. As it's plastic, drill hole smaller than needed for self tapping screw so they sit snug in it. I drove for years with LP in place with simple drywall screws.
Or, you can reach behind, use suitable bolts and put nuts onto them from cover inside.

·
Marie the Fox
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know why they want that plate where it is, right? As it's standard reflective surface for LIDAR.
You want to check with local DMV regulations, if they have a very specific location determined (see WHY above)
If not, what you referring to as a bumper is bumper cover. Styrofoam piece is the bumper shock absorbing covering and the metal piece is bumper proper.
If you are allowed to relocate LP, simple way is to drill 2 new holes in cover itself and secure it in place with 2 self tapping screws. As it's plastic, drill hole smaller than needed for self tapping screw so they sit snug in it. I drove for years with LP in place with simple drywall screws.
Or, you can reach behind, use suitable bolts and put nuts onto them from cover inside.
I live in New York, I haven't heard of any regulations against relocating the plate to the side, some cars have it that way by default.

·
Marie the Fox
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.realpolice.net/forums/ask-cop-112/82511-nyc-license-plate-laws.html

Good thread. All you need to do is to find what "properly displayed" means.
I only wish you well. LP is made on purpose with reflective coating in it so that it is easy for a traffic cop to have speed readings on LIDAR detector. It's not that hard to do - call VTL or DMV and ask a simple question.
Not every state requires a front plate, we have plenty of people on the highways on Long Island with Florida and Pennsylvania plates (both states dont require front plates) so there must be a way for them to catch those guys speeding too.

·
Registered
422 Posts
In wonderful Ohio, they sell you steel plates (made by convicts) and then sell stickers for about the same price every year. When your steel succumbs to rust/discoloration, you can then get a ticket for that and then get to buy new steel plates to start the process over. Many local municipalities use the front plate as reason for a traffic stop and then go fishing. So....if you are the least bit illegal, conform and use plate IMO. I've relocated on cars that I didn't like factory location with some aluminum stock fastened to factory fasteners and pop rivets to plate. FOP stickers help?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts