Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i put front speakers in a 91 corolla sr5. what size are they they are under the dash right? how do i get it out?

·
Banned
1988 Rolla Sedan
158 Posts
take off the lower dash by removing the screws.. go to autozone.com and look it up in the repair manual thing... they are 4"

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
It depends, not sure if the SR5 and GTS are different as I've seen two different dash styles, but the GTS has these housings for the front speakers that you have to take out, I did mine so long ago that I can't remember if you have to take out the glovebox to access them.

The GTS also has 4inch speakers.

·
Registered
265 Posts
no u dont have to pull the glove box, there is a screw in the top right corner(of the glovebox) that goes to the bottom dash.you will need to pull the R & L kickpanels, the screws to release the bottom dash are hidden under there. So, starting from there, trace UP and around, until you get to the glove, and on the left side up until you reach the part that joins with the piece that goes under the wheel. anyway,now that youve got those peices loose, you will notice what ren was saying, that there are baffles behind the speaker grilles. i tihkn there are 3 screws holding the baffle on...after its free it will be plain as day what to do next. but a word of caution..there is annoying tabs located on the top of the L & R lower dash panels(not the kickpanels)...they clip into slots on the body or top dash i cant remeber, but you will have to bend them str8, and real quick get them in there before the plastic bends back lol or you will be cussing, and stuff... hope this helps

·
Registered
265 Posts
well your gonna have to go to a local salvage yard, or contact one somewhere that will pull & mail em for you. or if you dont feel like waiting you could or some from ebay and modify them to fit

·
Registered
206 Posts
the 6g sedans here were never released with those baffles. i'm not sure though if they'd any good with aftermarket 4" speakers though. i might as well just try to make my own enclosure if i can't find a set.

·
Registered
265 Posts
damn dude, the le and dx didnt have the baffles? wierd. ok, aftermarket speakers do sound quite good in the baffles. in my gt-s, the problem is that the rears are also fours, and the holes are 4" as well, so the only way to get wound that is to pull the old rear dash(mine was rotted out fiberboard), cut out the holes with somehting, then make mounting plates since the basket of any driver bigger than 5.25" will hang over the endge of the original mounting squares pressed into the dash. so im running on 4 4"s right now. but its not that bad... and for certain types of music, it works out alright. stuff like trance with not a lot of subbass and tight kicks is fine. drum and bass/breaks with lots of deep basslines and heavy LFO action distorts them. im just waiting to get some bass, so i can finally cross them over to mids/highs, and amplify them.
in a month, im going to invest in 2 roadmaster 6" bass tubes(ported, 200w). it will be 40 for both, and about 50 for a 500 watt amp, so that should give me the subbass equivelant of one 12" ( i have 2 6" drivers in specially engineered custom boxes @ home and it hits VERY deep) .. and just cross over the front and rear 4"s to mid and hi range, so they drop everything under 130-ish and the subs will get everything lower. if i get lucky and can find some DVC 6"s .. then i could send filtered subbass to one set of voice coils (pair) and mid bass to the other set of voice coils. but anyway, more on that project later, ive got an intersting idea on how to mount the tubes...

good luck finding some baffles then, im sorry to hear you dont have them. where are the factory speakers located then? do they just screw onto the lower dash, or are they up top? if i were you i would just make the swap and call it a day. if your going to have bass, then you wont need them to have baffles anyway , if you plan on crossing them over ... which is almost a pure neccesity for better spatial imaging and distribution of the sound in the vehicle, alongside a properly tuned midbass & sub setup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts